DOING THE CAMBELT....ADVICE WANTED.

vw754

vorsprung Durch Technik
Reaction score
AUDI A4 TDI 130 BHP (B6) AWX ENGINE. 2001.

ok,im going to try and check the timing on my car and replace water pump. I have got to take the cambelt off to replace waterpump so........

any ideas on how i should do this? Basically i need to know where exactly to lock cam and crank pulleys,anything worth knowing,do i need to replace bolts etc?

The cam pulley,do i need to loosen the 3 bolts on this or do i just take the belt off and turn the pulley until it locks?

Also on the cam pulley bolts,do they need to be in the center of the slots or dont it matter?,seen on another forum that if there in the middle i will get better pickup/power from the car,dont know how true this is.

Best way i can explain is,on the cam pulley theres a cut out,like a crown,if you know what i mean,i think this is where the lock tool go's.

There is a hole in this(where lock tool fits) so called crown which im told the hole should be towards the left when looking at it through the crown,is this true? mines on the right.

IM HPEFULLY DOING THIS OVER THE WEEKEND, ANY INFO OR PICS/ADVICE ON HOW TO DO THE JOB/TOOLS NEEDED WOULD BE GREAT.

vw754
You're taking a bit of a risk doing this if you haven't done anything like this before, if you get the timing wrong you could wreck the head and be left with a big bill. If you send me a pm I can send you the instructions from elsawin for your car but its at your own risk if you go ahead

I did this on my B6, the most difficult part was getting the front bumper off and disassembling the front of the car, the pulley cam be locked with an allen key or drill bit. I would recommend having an experienced friend or someone else help you if you are inexperienced, its a bit difficult for the layman