Audi 80 2.0 Injection Fuel / Idle Fault ??

Donald_MacIver

Reaction score
Right, I’m having problems with my Audi 80 2.0 Sport. Its an 1989 G plate. I left it at the house for about 2 weeks, and went to it on Thursday night to take it out for a run. I took it for a good run, about 6 miles, and when I got back home, disaster struck.

The car almost died, started coughing and spluttering really badly. The engine lost power, and eventually died.

There was almost half a tank of petrol in it, and it was running sweet when I had it out on the run. I had a quick look in the engine bay and couldn't see anything amiss.

I eventually got it started again but it was running like a bag of nails and wouldn't idle, and wasn't willing to rev either.

I decided to leave it. I went back to it today in the morning, and started it, and it was running sweet again, and idling perfectly, but it didn't last and went back to its old tricks again!

Anyway, getting to the point, what should I be looking at and investigating to solve the problem. I was told that it may be the idle control valve or the automatic choke, but to be honest, I haven’t got a clue! The car is not drivable at the moment due to it cutting out, so any help or advice would be greatly appreciated :icon_thumright:

if i were you i would start with the simple things like the fuel filter id change that and run a bottle of redex through the car.are those cars fuel injected.

Right, i have just changed the fuel filter, and there is no difference. Is there a way of testing the fuel pump delivery pressure before going ahead with replacing the pump itself? You can hear the pump operating with the engine idling, but the engine seems to be suffering from fuel starvation, as it doesn't take accelleration and backfires. What should i be looking at next :think: