Cam belt question on A3 (AUM)

Bash_A3

Reaction score
Hi guys, I've just purchased my Audi A3 (2001) with a AUM engine. It has 76k on the clock & no record of it being done so i'd like to play it safe and get it done early.

The garage I spoke to this morning recommended the water pump be changed at the same time too as changing one without the other can cause issues. Is there any truth in this? & is £450 a good price for this work?

If you are having the cambelt changed then you definately want the water pumpand tensioners done at the same time. A large cost of the job is labout so you might as well get them done at the same time. If one went later then you just end up paying the same labour cost again for a relatively small parts cost.

There seems to be a few dealers up here ( Staffordshire ) offering fixed price cambelt changes on Audis. approx 299 for a standard engine and about £350 if i remember for a V6 model.

Maybe worth while either using this as ammunition at your local dealer or having a day off work and coming up here. I know a few people on here have done just that. Depends really on whether you wnat the dealer stamp or not

Cheers

Simon

Thanks for the fast reply, its re-assuring to get some independent advice.

I'm not too worried about the dealer stamp as the car has mixed history already. I'm assuming the cambelt should be bought from Audi, but the water pump can be bought elsewhere?

I did the pump and belt on my AUM bora, belt was £15, pump was £35 and labour was £85 from local garage.. Get a pump with ametal impellor rather than the standard plastic..