Please Help! I don't know what is going on???

HOHN

HOHN
Reaction score
Hello all.
I must start out by saying that this site is a great idea.

Maybe someone can help me. Just this week I installed a brand new alternator and battery on my 1989 200 quattro turbo. Now for some reason the radio, Anti-lock brakes, and (sometimes) headlight dont turn on.

I checked all the fuses and found only one bad one. I replaced it and the instrument cluster came back on. But the other problems I can't figure out. Would anyone happen to know what I did wrong or what has gone bad?

Also if anyone is familiar with this year, make, and model; do you have any idea why the diagnostics screen on the instrument cluster works sometimes and not others?

Thanks
Hohn

Hello & :sign_welcome: to the site.

did you fir the alternator with the battery connected?
It maybe worthwhile connecting a voltmeter to the battery and see what the voltages are when engine is off (should be about 12.4v) then engine running (around 14v) this will make sure your new alternator is charging correctly.

A quick way to check your fuses is to use a test lamp, clip one end to earth, then start the engine, on the top of each fuse is a small metal leg either side of the rating ie 15amp.
blade2.gif

try touching each side and if the lamp lights up on one side but not the other, the fuse has gone. this is easier than pulling them out and more reliable.
The ABS fuse might be under the bonnet, as its normally a high rating, try checking there.

Man, thanks big time for the help. That make too much sense..

You're great!

:rockwoot: :respekt: