Where's the fusible link?

Mikebabs1

Reaction score
Hi all,

In addition to my A4 I also still have my trusty 1994 Mk III VW Golf Match 1.4 Petrol. Recently the radiator cooling fan has given up the ghost causing the car to overheat when stuck in traffic. I bought the Haynes manual to see if I could fix the problem myself.

In it, it says to first check the fuse and fusible links. I've checked the fuse and it's fine, so I moved onto the fusible link but I can't find the flippin' thing anywhere! To quote the manual ...

"On all early models, both petrol and diesel, the radiator cooling fan run-on supply is also protected by a fusible link ... "

Given that the manual relates to models from 1992 - 1998, I assume that my 1994 model classes as an early model, but there is no diagram showing where the link is and I can't find it anywhere.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? I'd be very grateful.

Thanks.

Mike

look in the wiring diagram if you have one, a fusible link is normally just a length of wire, for instance, on older cars the fusible link was the wire that went to the battery (the small one) the other wire is the cranking cable.

Try checking the wire that actually connects to the fan.

Run a live from your battery to the fan!
If it dunt work it's yeh fan that's knacked if it does then it's yeh thermostat.