Oh for the answer to my prayer.

silverdragon

Reaction score
:banghead: It seems that my 1995 A4 cabriolet, that has spent more time being laid up than driven, needs a fresh supply of gearbox oil. So, my local garage(trained Landrover) has kindly said he will do the deed. Now, before he ***** this up, are there any special points of note. He understands the oil must be the correct temp and understands he might need to extract it by sucking it out (not by mouth obviously) The car is a 2.6 auto. so would appreciate some help from you boffins.

Cheers,

Ray

There will invariably be a drain plug on the bottom of the gearbox oil pan, thats a better option than sucking it out.
Make sure the oil is to Audi spec (buy it yourself) and make sure there isn't a filter on your gearbox, as some have one.

Cheers, I have checked with Audi via the VIN number and they say, no filter fitted. Many Thanks, any other tips from anyone would be appreciated.

Get the gearbox hot (by driving it) before draining it.
When you refill (after you have added some oil), start the engine and cycle it from P to 1 slowly 3 times before you check the oil level. You can check the oil with the engine running. this charges up the torque converter and clutches.