Broke it again :(

petewon

Reaction score
Well I was just driving up the road before and the car (A4 1.8t, 70k) developed a shuddering feeling, as If I was driving at 20mph in 5th gear and I was about to stall. It does it in every gear and I seem to be getting an eggy smell in the cabin. The engine light came on too, at idle its spluttering. First though is Ive blown the cat due to the egg smell but would the car judder when driving if it was a blown cat? Im gonna get it into my garage asap but just looking for an idea of what it could be.

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Right Im now thinking coil pack, its a 2001 model and Im sure there was a recall on these. Anyone any ideas on how to find out if they have been done or not? Theres nothing in the car history about it.

Well, I got VAG on it which showed up misfire on cylinder 2 so a new coilpack was bought which sorted it out. It also showed up a MAF error which I very stupidly tried to clean with meths :(. Bad idea, the MAF is now dead and I have a CEL and ESP light on my dash. A new maf is in the post and Im hoping this should switch the lights off.

Well I tried meths because Ive used it on other electronics and never had a problem, but it does hold a dye (to stop people drinking it appernetly) which I think has caused the problem. I have tried brake cleaner after using the meths and its still knackered so a new one is on order. Ive gone for the cheapskate option and bought one off ebay :(. Now Ive had two off there in the past and both arrived faulty but they were apparently made in china and seemed prety bad quality. The one Ive bught this time is a German part and Im assured by the seller, a quality Bosch alterative. Hope hes right :) Audi quoted me £130 or £102 with my old unit traded in.

Anyone know any alternatives if the "quality Bosch alterative" doesnt live up to its name? :)

Cheers.

try a decent motor factors. Andrew Page have done me good prices on mafs. My experience of aftermarket ones isnt good. I have a pierberg (as used on mercs so Im told) but it is solid element rather than thin wire - def not as responsive as an original.

Andrew PAge sold me a bosch reconditioned one for my volvo (2.5tdi vw engine) for £90 (as opposed to £250+vat from volvo) and it is exactly the same as a new one - the guy opened it and a new one for me to see and there was no difference - he thought it might be a way to sell them cheaper without seeming to cut the price?!

I thought the standard maf was about £70 on exchange at vw. Dont know if they just swap the element or the whole assembly.