Monster MotorsportChris Nott
    Neutral

Status

Exclamation Audi mirrors not demisting

Quick one really guys,

Got in car to come home from work, side mirrors iced up, back screen iced up. Put demist button on (which does mirrors and back window) Mirrors not demsiting, touched glass stone cold steve austin, usually it is red hot. Back windows clear in 5 mins.

Just check hand book and fuse 16 under bonnet 30 amp controlls both mirrors and back window, fuse has not blown.

Any ideas pleeese, could really do with this now it is getting colder.

Car Audi 80 93'L 2.0E

Thanks!

Oh and forgot to say, the electric movement of mirrors is still functional if that helps.

2. # ADS
    ADS

VW + Audi mad

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by timorridge
    Quick one really guys,

Got in car to come home from work, side mirrors iced up, back screen iced up. Put demist button on (which does mirrors and back window) Mirrors not demsiting, touched glass stone cold steve austin, usually it is red hot. Back windows clear in 5 mins.

Just check hand book and fuse 16 under bonnet 30 amp controlls both mirrors and back window, fuse has not blown.

Any ideas pleeese, could really do with this now it is getting colder.

Car Audi 80 93'L 2.0E

Thanks!

Oh and forgot to say, the electric movement of mirrors is still functional if that helps.
    Are you absolutely certain that the mirrors are heated only when the rear
    window is switched on?
    I had a '94 80 Avant Tdi SE for 5 years until October 2005 and was of the opinion the mirrors were heated whenever the ignition was on.......
    I bought my car in the summer of 2000 and it wasn't until the cold and icy weather of the winter of that year I realised the side mirrors weren't demisting, purchased 2 Genuine mirror glasses and until I sold the car last year the mirrors functioned perfectly.They were definitely heated all the time, which was a huge boon when driving in the wet in the warmer months as the mirrors cleared very quickly.
    Because this on-all-the-time (early A4's also had this) approach led to mirror elements burning out prematurely Audi changed the way mirrors were heated on the later models, and incorporated a temperature sensor in the back of the glass so the mirror only heats up when ambient temp is low.This means the later cars do not have mirrors that will clear of rain in the wamer months, a right pain I can tell you........
    I would hazard a guess that both your mirror heating elements have gone, if they are the original ones then you are lucky they've lasted so long......
    '99 Ming Blue A4 Avant TDi SE 110 + Dragon Performance Tuning Box
    Factory sunroof / Cruise / Aircon + Climate / Royale Blue leather

'72 1302LS Karmann Beetle Cabrio Silbermetallic

'63 Karmann Ghia Sunroof Coupe Pacific Blue

Neutral

Status

AUdi mirrors not demisiting

think I may have sussed this. Forgot to mention that I replaced the switch to turn demist on because the bulb had failed in the switch (the yellow triangle bit) some months back. The part was off a B3 model Audi 80 (86-90) mine being a B4 model Audi (90-95). Had one of these before and that didnt have heated mirrors, but looked like the same switch. The part was clearly oft the older model.

I will check that at the weekend and report back.

Thanks for all replies.

Neutral

Status

AUdi mirrors not demisiting

Hi all,

Went to local scrap yard today, paid 3 pound for a switch off a 91'J model B4 shape. Tried it not worked, double chacked fuse with another 30 amper. Running out of ideas. Really annoying but to small to warrant paying for a repair.

Checked manual and it says that mirrors come on when rear demist is on.

Any more suggestions are welcome

Thanks for all replies so far.

Four Ring Fanatic

Status
    i have this same problem but only one mirror is affected, drivers side not working but passenger side is fine. my car is a 2001 a4 b6 chassis, the mirror heaters only come on when i turn the rear windscreen demister on.

have put the problem down to a faulty mirror glass that needs replacing because apparently it is the glass that has the heating element in it.
    A4 2.5 TDi quattro sport saloon
    RNS-E DVD Nav running SW 0600 with 2007 disc including TMC function, Bluetooth Telephone, Audi iPod Interface
    18" RS6's now gone, replaced by OEM 18" S4 alloys
    Retrofit S-Line Bodykit
    Retrofit OEM Xenon's
    Retrofit Front Ambient Lighting
    Retrofit OEM Aero Wipers (thanks PJMSpeedy)

Neutral

Status

Audi mirrors not heating up

Right then, I have done a bit of basic fault finding on this problem. (Audi 80)

Carefully prised off each glass of the mirror, element is a circular pad which sits centrally and connects to power via two spades. Connected 12v battery to spades and volia, heated up like normal. Repeated same for other glass and same result so glass is OK.

Fuse not blown

Put tester across the two wires from door mirror and no electrical output on both sides of car

I have traced the wires as fars the rubber flexi joint at each door before it dissapers in to the depths seems to be no damaged wiring.

I think it is the switch as they worked on the old switch

The only question I have is before it gets confusing, where would I get a Heated rear window switch for this car that has heated mirrors. If any body has one to sell taht would be great.

Any replies grately appreciated.

Thanks

Neutral

Status

audi mirrors not heating up

I have found a part number that may help

4A0 941 503

Could any VAG experts decode that please and let me know if that is the part that I need?

Many thanks again

Sir Scouser Benitez

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by 1210tech
    i have this same problem but only one mirror is affected, drivers side not working but passenger side is fine. my car is a 2001 a4 b6 chassis, the mirror heaters only come on when i turn the rear windscreen demister on.

have put the problem down to a faulty mirror glass that needs replacing because apparently it is the glass that has the heating element in it.
    im having the same problem, only the opposite mirrors. when i got my car, the o/s mirror was missing, so got one from audi, this is the one that works.......you think i need to buy another one for the other side??
    |B6 A4 1.9 PD TDI Sport | Fully Colour-Coded |18" RS6 Reps | EBC Grooved Discs | Greenstuff Pads | Jabbasport Custom Remap - 141.9hp @ 3683rpm / 368Nm @ 2154rpm | Complete With Drivers Detailing Disorder |

Broooom Brooom Brooom!!

Status
    got an A6 B5.. mirrors stopped demisting a year ago.. question.. how do you get the glass out without breaking it??
    1997/8 A6SE 2.4 30V Dark Green Metalic, had for 5 years now... old lady has only 30k miles..

Sir Scouser Benitez

Status
    on the B6's ...i know you have to angle the mirror down as far as you can go....then get your finger behind the top corner (nearest the window) and pull...

See below...

http://www.a4mods.com/index.php?page...s/mirrors.html

Hope this helps at all....
    |B6 A4 1.9 PD TDI Sport | Fully Colour-Coded |18" RS6 Reps | EBC Grooved Discs | Greenstuff Pads | Jabbasport Custom Remap - 141.9hp @ 3683rpm / 368Nm @ 2154rpm | Complete With Drivers Detailing Disorder |

5th Gear

Status
    isn't there a hole underneath the mirror that you can get a screwdriver in and flip the locking ring, i thought they were mounted on sort of a baynet fixing that needs rotating to release
    Dave

"If that's the Turbo Fairy knocking tell Her I'm not in"

Neutral

Status
    Just read this thread with intrest - I have a 52 b6 avant and neither of my mirros heat up noticed this today when it persisted it down and the rain just stuck to the glass like glue .. However having misplaced the manual how are the mirrors activated to heat up is it by having the rear window on Or is there a seperate switch to use on the controls in the door panels..?

Hope I am not asking the obvious but if anyone could point me in the righd direction I would appreciate it

vorsprung Durch Technik

Status
    not all model have heated mirrors!

Sir Scouser Benitez

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ang12el
    how are the mirrors activated to heat up is it by having the rear window on Or is there a seperate switch to use on the controls in the door panels..?
    Correct me if i'm mistaken, but i always thought that they were on whenever the rear heated screen was on? Don't they use the same button?

Reverse Gear

Status
    If i remember right the heated mirrors only come on when the outside temperature drops below a certain point.