ESP disengaging on the move

andreitentean

Reaction score
I am getting tired trying to find out what's wrong with my S3 ESP.
After big turbo upgrade(I don't know if it has anything to do with it) it keep cutting of at A point, and after that I can not reengage it back on, only if I stop the engine and restart it !

Did this ever happend to you?

Yes, I have a fault with the lateral acceleration sensor that is intermittent so will happen randomly when driving and disables the ESP system. get your car scanned by someone with VAGCOM

Hello

This started happening to me this afternoon. When the lights are on there is a definite reduction in power. Mine are flashing on and of about every 5 seconds. Also it has started missing on a 3-5 second cycle. Feels just like going over a joining strip in an old concrete road.

Mine is a Allroad V6 TDi

Biggles

John@DNA said:
What conditions does it cut in? It might be exceeding an allowed value and defaulting into off for system protection.

It started just after I have fitted the big turbo kit (IHI VF34) , on 4th gear at full throtle and over 100km/h it cuts off. After that I can not reengage it again, it stays off until a stop the engine.

Faulty MAF. log block 003 and see what the reading is. i'm betting it's goosed.

the MAF reading is used to reduce the torque when the ESP cuts in, if there's no reading coming from the MAF then the ESP controller won't know where it is and will throw an error

It is a possibility, I will try it but keep in mind that my car runs perfect making 365 bhp. I can not imagine how it can do that with a faulty MAF!

could this be a problem with the auto gearbox?

I seem to remember reading something, somewhere, maybe....

Biggles Here

See my posts with tales of woe!

I too was getting lights like Xmas tree on speed, and disengaging ESP.

It went into Audi Chelmsford (very pleased with them). The found my diesel pump was 2 teeth out on the belt, although the crank to cam timing was OK. Result was poor performance as you would expect, but also the lights etc.

Seems that the engine management was working so hard to keep it all together, that eventually it crashed, resulting in warning lights etc. and a reset (reboot) to set it right again.

Maybe your engine management is struggling in the same way as a result of the new turbo.

Just a thought?

Anyway most of my problems are now gone, but the VNT turbo is now in question at low rpm. I have a spare to dismantle as it seems they variable mechanism is prone to sticking. Thanks to AdamC for the donation of said turbo.

I will be reporting my experiences with the strip down.

Biggles