Votes: 8 3.7%
  • Off Sometimes to have some fun

Votes: 67 31.2%
  • I don't have ESP

Votes: 47 21.9%

• Total voters

Olly_K

Reaction score
Number 3 for me, sometimes when I wanna have fun !

i voted for 3, but i am turning it off more and more on my S3. since the re-map, i find the TC very intrusive. i also think that the power cut from the TC cant be very good for the car

i dont have ESP on my car

hey wait, why i dont have ESP on my car

well to be honest this system is on all the time and from memory if your going to over cook or need help it will even if it is off!
I maybe wrong though!

Off in the wet!!!

I have an Avant, not the fastest of things tbh, well the 2.0 FSi ain't, If I had a Derv and chipped I think I would use more to have fun!

Mostly on, unless I'm playing. But when I want to do a rocket style launch from a junction, I'll turn it off to prevent the traction control from killing the car after you lift the clutch..... Know what I mean?

Regards, John.

JohnS3 said:
Mostly on, unless I'm playing. But when I want to do a rocket style launch from a junction, I'll turn it off to prevent the traction control from killing the car after you lift the clutch..... Know what I mean?

Regards, John.

I know exactly what you mean. It stops you from headbutting the steering wheel and making a nob of yourself when pulling away sharpish.

Dan Gliballs said:
I'm taking it my S4 doesn't have ESP?

Should do !

Look for a button at the top of your center console name ESP

i wish i had esp on mine. could do with it some times.

Im a bit confused.com.. So do cars without ESP drive as though the ESP is turned off in later cars? If this makes any sense.

Off at all times. Don't particularly like the idea of someone else controlling the power distribution through my wheels....especially when its wet.

silver75 said:
Im a bit confused.com.. So do cars without ESP drive as though the ESP is turned off in later cars? If this makes any sense.

yep. There's no ESP or EDL on those cars. In the cars that do have ESP (i.e. have the button), ESP is permanently on until you press the ESP button - the EDL cannot be defeated (ewll, there are rumours about VAG-com..).

on when i'm bimbling around as i can't be ***** turning it off.

Off when i'm not bimbling, or often in the wet. I find the car much more predictable with it off. If you overcook it, the slide, oversteer etc is much smoother than when its on. Typical example, gone a bit hot into a corner, lifted ( I know I shouldn't) car starts to oversteer. With ESP off simple case of feather throttle and smoothly out. With it on, ****** thing wibbles and wobbled round the corner. Both end up in same result but the first seems much niucer to me and the car.

Morale: don't overcook corners!

If the dash light is on then the ESP is off.

John

I have tried it onn and off in my 2002 A4 1.8T Quattro and I have felt little difference.

Is it just me or have other people thought this??

I've had three cars with ESP, a 2000 A4 2.5TDI Quattro (wish I hadn't sold this one) 2000 S4, and now a 2001 Allroad 2.5TDI, on each car I was/am convinced that it accelerated smother and faster with it switched off.
I do drive with it switched on though, because I can't be bothered to switch it off and the Allroad's a heavy beast so what's the point.

i have ASR and its equally rubbish, well in the snow its good, you can actually turn the steering wheel and the car turns, i was plesently suprised last winter.

Once saw a presentation at Institute of Mech Engineer from a senior Audi Engineer about ESP. Where it really helps is when one wheel has different traction to others and compensates for most drivers tendency to overcorrect when traction is low only to find grip returns all too quickly giving the old tank slapper and subsequent visit to nearest hedge/lampost.

I'm happy to have it there to catch me in the unexpected greasy turn or emergency swerve.

i have mine on all the time even though its a Quattro

only had the car for a month so i am still learning how the car handles when pushed

plus i can't afford to write the thing off...................just yet