more problems

petewon

Reaction score
Ive recently bought a B6 A4 1.8 T Q and the CEL has been coming on. The code that came back is P1136 = Long Term Fuel Trim Add. Fuel, Bank 1 System too Lean. Ive had it switched off about three times now but it comes back on after 5 days. I thought it may have been the MAF so I bought one off ebay, it turned up and it was not Bossch one, Ive fitted it and the car seems to be slower than it was with the other MAF. I was under the impression it would either work or not work, not work but give less power. Could this be down to it being an OEM part?

Also would VAGCOM only logg an error like this after the CEL has came on?

Im thinking, leave the new MAF in and if the error comes back, its not the MAF. Check the vac lines. Sound ok??

Sorry for the babble but Im getting realy cheesed off with the car. I love it to bits but seriously thinking about getting rid if this keeps up.

Cheers for listening.

Pete.

sounds like the ebay MAF is either broken or the wrong one. There are some real cheap efforts out there.

The fact that it runs worse with the new one tends to suggest that the old one was not necessarily the source of the problem.

Cheers for the reply madvw, this one was actualy the second one I get from the seller as the first one was completley faulty. The actual sensor bit looks totaly different to the bossch one, I might leave it in for a week to see if the CEL comes back on and if it does then its obviously not the MAF. I realy did not expect it to have and adverse effect on performance, I though it would have either worked or not worked.

Cheers.

Unplug the MAF and run along the road and see if there is any difference........take the orginal MAF and clean with Carb Cleaner and put back in and see if that helps

Rev-head said:
Unplug the MAF and run along the road and see if there is any difference........take the orginal MAF and clean with Carb Cleaner and put back in and see if that helps
Cheers ill give that a shot tomorow. I never felt there was any performance issues with the original MAF, I only changed it because it threw up the P1136 error (too lean) about 3 times and once threw up a MAF error, I guessed it was just an intermitent fault with the MAF. Ive had a good read up on it and leaking vac hoses could also be a cause of the P1136 error. Only problem is I dont have a clue which ones are the vac lines.

Thanks for the help.

Could be boost leak worth having a look round all the pipes that are attached to the intercooler to the turbo-inlet manifold and check all for splits and make sure all the hose clips are tight

Could explain weak mixture as more air would be getting in

Thanks for the reply revhead, thats more or less what Ive read, check for leaks in the vac hoses downstream from the maf. Ill have a look today, see if I can sort it out.

Cheers.

Well Ive just been out to replace the MAF and I had a good look around and came across this.

peteone-100_4177.JPG

Obviously it was tucked underneath, Im not that daft. Anyways it it likely that this would throw up the P1136 error? And does anyone know what its called? Would it be best to buy this part from audi or would anywhere stock it?

For some reason it was two bits of hose connected with a piece of copper tubing, why not just one piece of tube? Bodge perhaps?

peteone-100_4175.JPG

Cheers again chaps.

Just looked on the vagparts.com site you better phoning them after you find part as web-site is no use for that sort of stuff

Cheers

Cheers Revhead, Ive been down to see my mechanic and he's sorted it for me, cost £3. Apparently the one that was in was a bodge, it was 2 diesel drainage tubes or something, just conneced with a piece of metal pipe. Hopefully this will sort the P1136.

Anyways does anyone know what that tube is for and what effects it may have now its been replaced? Just Id be intrested to know.

I have driven it and it seems to have a lot more power, the mechanic said it was something to do with the wastegate and I would probably see a difference in fuel consumption.

Once again, thanks for the help.