Ice warning symbol?

Didn't know it did Gordon.... News to me.... Is that on all models ?

Funny thing about mine is that when temp reads zero degrees it shows +0 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Mine will read +0 if the actual temperature is still on the positive side of 0 but not yet close to 0.5 and -0 if the temperature is on the negative side of 0 but not closer to -0.5...

So does anyone know why the ice warning switches off below -5? Is it because of black ice and when it forms? ie can black ice form below -5?

In my manual it's not an "ice" symbol it's referred to as just temperature warning. Cold tyres are not happy tyres after all.

[ QUOTE ]
My S3 does the same.

I thought it was not on below -5 as you should know its f***ing cold...

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably. I was wondering if they switched it off for South African models because German's can't imagine it getting that cold here.... :)

my 2000 A4 2.5 TDI Quattro did this, as did my 2000 S4, I currently have a 2001 Allroad and it hasn't been that cold yet.

I think the problem is probably software related where somebody's used a "smaller than" function rather that a "less than" function. The use of signing numbers in software may require a different data type, so maybe this was a limitation of the software toolds available at the time.

Adam

davidhodgkinson said:
I thought it was not on below -5 as you should know its f***ing cold...

I think there is some sense in this comment about how the warning is intended. And that is to warn you of the risk of ice when between 0 and 5 and the -5 is just the tolerance/software programming. At -5 or below the road/weather conditions should make you aware of the risk.

Dont think I have seen -5... not sure, so couldnt say. That is really odd?

I had the Temperature drop to -8 C in Glen Esk last Tuesday. The snow flake symbol on my 2004 A4 disapeared at -6 C.

I did wonder why the snow flake symbol disapeared.

The reason that DIS shows the ice symbol below 5C is because water can remain frozen at 4C. In fact, getting all scientific for a second, around 4C is the temperature at which water can exist in three states, as vapour or gas, a liquid and a solid.

I think Audi are just being cautious by setting the display at 5C, and because it's a round figure. 4C is probably too precise.