Power Steering Fluid

blued

Reaction score
Hi all I'm new to the board and have a question about PS Fluid for a '92 Golf 3. The pump has recently gone and I'm waiting on a new one. The parts assistant at VW has said under no circumstances to use ATF red fluid for the power steering. He says green mineral fluid (similar to the citreon suspension fluid) is to be used for all VW's from 1990. VW sell the mineral fluid for £10 something per litre and apparently I need 2. I've called various motor factors and all have advised its a dealer only part.

My question is can I use the citreon mineral fluid I can get from a motor factor for about £3.50 per litre or will I have to fork out for VW's over-priced version?

I didnt know I'd had replies on here until now (no email notifications). Someone on another board told me the Citroeon stuff would be fine so I used it. Was about 1.5 litres I think. I've sold the car now... I think I'll give the guy a call and advise him to change the fluid just incase. The pump was a bit squeaky, I just thought it was like that because it was 2nd hand.