AH FabricationsVolks Autos

Thread: Engine oil?

1st Gear

Status

Engine oil?

On the way home just & the engine oil light has come on, not had chance to check the dipstick as it' dark. I've not noticed any leaks & as i've only had the car a few months i've not put any oil in yet, just wondering what oil & what grade to use it's a 2.4v6? Or should i give it an oil & filter change? The computer says the service is due in 5k?
    Cheers, Rob.

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status

Re: Engine oil?

There must be someone on at the mo who knows?

Reverse Gear

Status

I would ring up service dept of an Audi garage to be sure. But i'm pretty certain they would be using a synthetic oil such as 10w 40.You can add/topup a synthetic oil to a mineraloil although I would check for leaks in the morning as warning lights just don't come on without there being a leak/problem with the engine. National tyres do a very good deal on oil 7 filter change using the recommended grade of Duckhams oil.

4th Gear

Status

That light will come on if the engine oil pressure is too low. Low pressure can be simply from too low an oil level, or it could be worn bearings, worn oil pump, blocked oil pickup pipe, etc.

If you use a mineral oil then you must not mix with synthetic and visa versa. Mixing oils results in the molecule chains that are different shape and structure mixing and they end up breaking down quicker, which of course results in quicker engine wear. The same goes for mixing different grades of oil.

6th Gear

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    On the way home just & the engine oil light has come on, not had chance to check the dipstick as it' dark. I've not noticed any leaks & as i've only had the car a few months i've not put any oil in yet, just wondering what oil & what grade to use it's a 2.4v6? Or should i give it an oil & filter change? The computer says the service is due in 5k?
    Cheers, Rob.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its not good when the light comes on for sure ,What mileage is on the engine ?,..........more than likely needing oil,,,,,,Fully Syth 10-40

I change the oil in mine every 5000miles

Cheers

1st Gear

Status

[/ QUOTE ]

Its not good when the light comes on for sure ,What mileage is on the engine ?,..........more than likely needing oil,,,,,,Fully Syth 10-40

I change the oil in mine every 5000miles

Cheers

[/ QUOTE ]

It's on 88k & is on the varible service. The oil is on the min & there's no sign of leaks so am gonna try topping it up first & see how i get on, gonna put castrol slx longlife2 0w-30 or longlife3 5w-30 both fully synthetic. With regards to the low oil pressure comment, surely the the low oil pressure light would have come on & not the min light. Have to see how i get on.

1st Gear

Status

DO Audi not recomend 10-40 in there books?
    I know halfrauds recomend 0-30, 0-40 and 5-30, 5-40 (Ish) Thats off the top of my head.

But im guesssing that they'd use the book oils even tho theres a few newer ones out there.

Dont shoot me down! hehe

1st Gear

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    DO Audi not recomend 10-40 in there books?
    I know halfrauds recomend 0-30, 0-40 and 5-30, 5-40 (Ish) Thats off the top of my head.

But im guesssing that they'd use the book oils even tho theres a few newer ones out there.

Dont shoot me down! hehe

[/ QUOTE ]

I've tried audi, halfords & various garages to find out what to put in everyone was telling me different grades. In the end i spoke to where it was purchased & serviced from
    new & they told me what's gone in it from new, so went with what they said.

1st Gear

Status

Topped the oil up & the oil light's still on, so thought i'd do a compression test hoping that it's not oil pressure. In the process i broke the oil breather pipe, to my surprise it was full of yellow crap! I'm gonna replace it & give the car an oil flush as i was informed that the oil light can come on for oil quality. My car is on the avs, anyone else come accross this problem,

Fire up the Quattro!

Status

Does anyone know which is the best engine flush on the market?

I've previously used WINNS but not sure how good it is.

Car is due an oil change very soon, but wanna flush it all out properly.

cheers,

Dan

1st Gear

Status

Changed the breather pipe & it's had a flush, feels loads better & no more lights yay! Obviously wasn't breathing to well.