Chris NottVolks Autos
    imported_Macduff

Not doing many miles. Should I wait till it says to service?

As the title says we're not doing many miles in the car. Just passed 10k after 16 months. The car is still saying that it'll last until about 17k. Should I wait or get it serviced and switch onto fixed servicing?

We're planning on keeping the car for a few years so I don't want to be faced with any problems further down the line.

TIA
    Dave

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status

Re: Not doing many miles. Should I wait till it says to service?

the car will take into account that you are doing fewer miles, as it uses an algorithm involving the date as well to calculate the milage to next service. You will probably find for instance that it will instead go down at a rate of 300-400 miles for every 100 driven if you are doing only a low milage.

However, the fixed vs variable servicing is a long debate...

Numptie of the highest order

Status

I'd get it onto fixed servicing if I were you, especially if you're keeping the car after the warranty has run out! just my 2p though.

4th Gear

Status

Even if you stick with your current servicing interval, I would at least change the oil and filter. Much cheaper than wearing the engine out... Algorithms designed by motor car manufacturers are probably going to be biased towards you buying a new car from them sooner than later.... :-)

Neutral

Status

Happened to read a "friends" R32 brochure the other day, its commnets were that extended service intervals were for motorway miles, if you did town driving or lots of short journeys fixed intervals were recommended. Presum the VW R32 'puter would be as intelligent as an Audi one. (just not built as well [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] )
    chas