Haldex oil change temperature

AndrewB

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been trying to get the "special tool" required for doing a Haldex oil change, and my local dealer said it's not quite that simple...

Apparently, you need to use the VAG1551 (presumably) to check that the Haldex oil is at the right temperature, before draining it.

Is this true? How temperature critical is it? Could you not just go for a thrash, come back, and drop the oil straight away?

Thanks in advance /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

sounds like balls to me. The VAG service guide says to warm it up by driving, and nothing about temperature, IIRC.

nope, i'm wrong, the procedure states that the haldex oil must be between 20 and 40 degrees.

my guess is that it needs to be this warm to be thin enough to ensure most of it pours out.

You can use VAG-COM to read the correct measuring block and oil temp before you change the oil.

I think the most difficult bit is removing the filler gun and inserting the new drain plug without getting oil everywhere. If you've got fast hands you should be alright.

Many thanks for the replies all /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I don't have a VAG-COM, and I suspect my backstreet garage don't either... In the last 3 years I've almost justified buying a VAG-COM about 10 times..!

Time for a re-think. Sadly, I've only got 300 miles of thinking time left before it needs doing. Think I'll have to get the Haldex change done by someone more geared up to do it.

Thanks again.

Hey Andrew - I have VAGcom mate if it's any help. Be an excuse to catch up sometime /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Even if not for your haldex, but a general scan?

Rob /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif