Sluggish on cold start (occasionally) on A3 turbo

concoursneil

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
My friends Y plate A3 Turbo seems to give an intermittent fault on cold start.
When starting seems as if its missing when you put foot down. If you put foot down in mine in 2nd gear it pics up quickly and smoothly , yet in friends it almost as if wrong fuel in it and it struggles to find full power.
Dont worry correct fuel is in the tank. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

It does not do it all the time even when cold but just occasionally.
Its fly by wire not cable.
It feels like it not firing on all cylinders , but nowhere near that bad , that sort of missing feel tho.
Hope you understand the prob /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Any ideas you have would be great help, as when it was taken back to dealers prob never happened and nothing was showing on diagnostics according to them.

Cheers

Also been looking at lambda possibilities too , as it does seem to be air fuel related, cheers guys second oppions on here always appreciated atleast i seem to be barking up the right tree /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

The joys of the internet /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

sounds a little like the problem i had with my A3 Turbo when i first had it

when i had my remap done Mike@Jabba knocked back the fuelling by ~4%, problem gone

i think this can be done on VAG-COM but not sure where though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

FWIW my A3 went back to the dealers 3 or 4 times as well as calling the RAC out to it to try and sort it, neither of them could!

My friends S3 had this problem.

Scanned with VAGCOM which showed a bad coolant temp sensor. Swapped the sensor and now its fine.

Worth a look I recon.

absolutely, temp sensor first to look at, as you've already diagnosed the problem to only when its cold.

don't trust an empty fault log either, it may just be reading wrong values that dont trigger a fault.

[ QUOTE ]
My friends S3 had this problem.

Scanned with VAGCOM which showed a bad coolant temp sensor. Swapped the sensor and now its fine.

Worth a look I recon.

[/ QUOTE ]

is this dead easy to change? where is it located exactly?

my vagcom is throwing back engine coolant sensor fault and mentioning lambda sensor.

more than likely get the garage to fit it all, but I just wanna know how much I should be prepared to pay etc etc.

cheers

Rob