Audi A3 1.6 1999 Speedo Issue

FMAudia31.6

Reaction score
Hi all,

Newbie here with a speedo issue, After trawling the internet and the forums i thought i would post something looking for help.

Basically it cut out the other day, took it to my mechanic who said he ran a diagnostic and the gearbox/crank sensor came up which i thought was fine but haven't ordered a part yet but since then the fuel gauge is now playing going all the way down to zero but only when I go round bends. this makes me think tht its not a sensor but a supply issue to the cluster but all the other dials work but there is also the added confusion of the oil sensor also flashing up now and again. I checked with my laptop and vag-com at home i like to do a bit of diy but didnt see any gearbox sensor fault code.

To wrap up any help would be appreciated with the following:

1) Does anyone know the login codes for an A3 1.6 1999 so i can do an instrument test using vag-com?
2) anybody else experienced who had it fixed who can provide advice on how to go about fixing it without changing every sensor known to man?

Thanks for all your help beforehand!!

Hi mate in answer to your questions

1. there is no login required to do an output test on clocks
you probably have an unregistered or lite version of VCDS

2. does sound like a dodgy set of clocks given the likelihood of the speedo drive and fuel level sender both going down at the same time

sorry mate forgot to mention if clocks are fckd a new set needs to be programmed in by main stealer VCDS/VagCom cannot do this

I've got a spare set of dash clocks from an a3 in my garage. As said above they would need to be coded to the car.

so let me get this right, your speedo doesnt work and now your fuel gauge is playing up? when you turn the wheel does your fuel gauge drop to nothing and the dash beeps at you? if it does check all your fuses, if they are all good you will need to check the wiring loom from the speedo drive up under the battery, its very common for a break in the wire to give the problems you have

First of all - what clocks do you have ?? pro or facelift model?? If is facelift model with 1/2 DIS and digital clock then there is a common fault with a speedo.

First of all - what clocks do you have ?? pro or facelift model?? If is facelift model with 1/2 DIS and digital clock then there is a common fault with a speedo.

Facelift was in 2001 so it's safe to assume they are the earlier type given that the op stated car was a 99 A3

No facelift clocks starts appearing on late 99.

Basically if you have speedo with digital clock on the left then that a facelift model.