Monster MotorsportChris Nott

Thread: Fuel Regulator

Neutral

Status

Fuel Regulator

Does anyone know anything about fuel regulators on the 2.7 TT engines?

Apparently the factory fitted one is 4 bar and my mate, who lives in Denver, has been advised by OCT who have supplied him an upgraded ECU for his S4, that he should replace the 4 bar unit with an uprated 5 bar one.

Is there any performance or reliability benefit in upgrading this [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]. Perhaps JPR could advise.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Neutral

Status

Re: Fuel Regulator

When I had my Cavalier GSi2000 lots of people bought things called power-boost valves which I assume are just uprated fuel regulators

If I understand correctly they just sit between the fuel flow and return line and maintain the fuel pressure on the injector bar(s) I think most of them work by using a spring loaded ball bearing.

That's all I know sorry.

RAM has a nice manual (60 pages) on the 2.7T engine which can be downloaded from his site, I would imagine that this has some info on the regulator.

S4 engine manual

Neutral

Status

Thanks Dan - lets hope AmD can advise. I'm wondering if this was upgraded when I got the RS4 turbos fitted.

Neutral

Status

You certainly would have got a bigger fuel pump and injectors (both from the RS4 I think)

Neutral

Status

Simplistically the main things governing engine output are..

i) Fuel in
    ii) Air intake
    iii) Exhaust gasses out

Normally you'll reach the upper limits of the Air-flow in, or exhaust gasses out before you reach the limits of the fuel pump, and injectors!

The old way of tuning diesels used to be to whack a bigger fuel pump in (from a van!!), that is before software came along!

Neutral

Status

This makes sense. The standard injectors remained - AmD said that the flow was regulated through the ECU which was remapped accordingly and RS4 injectors were not necessary with the KO4 turbos.