brake problem on a4 avant - help!!!!

darby7

Reaction score
hi all
i have just bought a 1996 a4 avant 1.9tdi.
the problem i have is the brakes make a grinding sqeeky sound when the car comes to a complete stop. you can also feel this through feedback in the pedal but it is only just before you stop, in slowing down the brakes seem to work fine.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gifi've had the discs and pads checked these checked out ok. any ideas or suggestions???? thanks

unfortunately due to new regulations, brake pad manufacturers have had to change the materials used, the result is that the new pads have had other items added which are harder and result in the grinding and squeeling noises.

You can try and put some gold paste on the rear of the pads to dampen some of the effects of this.

thanks for the reply.
i think the problem is worst than this. the feedback through the pedel is strong and includes a slight knocking. the noise is also quite loud. the fault is obvious to everyone that has driven the car, i'm worried that this could be a more serious problem......? any thoughts? thanks

weird!!!!!!!!
i took the car on a motorway run yesterday. as i come to a my first complete stop there was no noise for the first time!!!!!! as soon as i was back at around town speeds the problem come back. i done the same trip to return home and it done exactly the same. i'm confused! any thoughts?? anyone?? please....?

I agree with ajmackie on this one ,if you have the switch to switch them off do so and see if that helps if not go in to your fuse box and pull the fuse out to disable them

The pedal will be much stiffer but that should be the only noticeable difference with taking the fuse out,

Cheers

what can i say guys, you are all stars!!
i took the abs fuse out and the problem went away, the car braked as you would expect.
what are my best options now? get a new abs pump?
i'm not that pleased it turned out to be the abs as it is likely to be expensive, i am however pleased that i now know what the problem is. thanks again

I seem to recolect that diesel models have a vacum pump to work the brake servo maybe it is ok when the engine is working harder but not so good when going slower ie. round town.
also try checking if the ABS ring's are all ok, it could be a small piece of pebble etc jammed between the teeth or notches, confusing the sensor?

you could always take the car to a garage that does free brake checks too, they may be able to shed some light on the problem (kwikfit type garages usually provide this service.

IMPO if it were warped discs you would feel it in the steering wheel and it would be worse at speed, had this happen to me on a very warm weekend in the lakes, drove it hard allday and parked up for a couple of hours, upon setting off the brakes felt "funny" then when i needed to brake hard (kirkstone pass, if anyone's beeen on this route, you'll know what i mean!!) the car nearly vibrated to death, the most scared i've been in years!!! all the way home it shook and shuddered when braking at anything above 40mph but at town speeds it made a on-off grinding noise in respect on wheel position?

you need to get this sorted out quick mate these are your lifelines!

hi all

i just went to the car to attempt to fix this abs problem and now i have more drama!
while the abs has not been working i removed the fuse to disable the abs while i have the problem.
i sourced some cheap used sensors + an abs pump so i thought i'd have a go at fixing it....
on putting the fuse back in i found it made no difference at all, the abs is still switched off! usually if i put the fuse in the abs comes back on + the problem comes back.
the only thing i can think of is i took off the loom from the abs pump to check the new one was compatible.
would this cause me to have no abs? does it need to be reset or something after it has been disconected? the loom is back in place on the same pump
any suggestions appreciated........

i don't know what esp is Pete......?
the abs light on the dash is always on now if the fuse is in or out.
before the light would go out when i put the fuse in and would only come on if the car was driven over 75mph (approx)
i haven't had the fuse in as the car was terrible to drive with the faulty abs, now i have zero abs!
i really see no explanation why the fuse now makes no difference. does me disconnecting the abs loom make any difference?
any ideas mate................?

thanks for your responses

i never fitted the used abs pump i just took the loom off the original one.
i have not tried to make any repair as yet but i guess by removing the loom i have made it worst.....
what's my best plan of action now?
i have a friend with vag.com software + the lead, he has no experience with it though!
is it easy to clear the codes?
the car has been driven over 10mph, the codes have not reset.

so you reckon the problem is with the speed sensors or the rings? are all these situated in the wheel hub?

thanks for all your help

just plug into the car (socket in rear ash tray or next to handbrake under the ruber pen holder thing if fitted), go to ABS brakes read the codes, write down the code/codes and post on here, on code screen there is a clear code box click it to clear, test drive if all ok then recheck to see which codes come back

thanks Pete,
i will try and get this info asap. i also have an a6 with a idling + brake problem (you have responded to my questions on that thread also) i will see if i can plug vag.com into the a6 as well to see what sort of trouble i'm in......?
fingers crossed!

we are having probs with the vag-com at the moment, i've ordered a new lead, as soon as i get this sorted i'll post my findings......
PLEASE COME BACK AND HELP!!!!
thanks