anyone REALLY technical out there?

Depends on what you mean!! What I do is pretty technical. And it is the building trade I think:p /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I assume you mean the motor-trade?

I can do technical IT type stuff, but only really know car electrics as Joshie will no doubt testify /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I assume you mean the motor-trade?

I can do technical IT type stuff, but only really know car electrics as Joshie will no doubt testify /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
.Yes Dan - saved me on a couple of occasions, once when I needed a solution to the electronic switches when I uprated the interior of my S4 to post facelift and the other to get the lights on my aircon unit to work
Just as I was getting suicidal too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Thanks mate /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I was until 1999, then got fed up with the trade, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif city+guilds etc 15 years all in

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah me too, I got out a lot longer ago than that to be honest,
when it all went on to bonus and quality of work became less important I left it.
Main Dealer stuff is very humdrum!

[ QUOTE ]
John,

you've got us all intruiged now.

What's the question?
-Dan

[/ QUOTE ]

Nothing really, that was the question!

Just wondering who else there got there C&G and went through those early very badly paid years! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'm not in the trade but I think I'm technical. I designed and built a mapped ignition module to replace the centrifugal advance in a Mk1 Golf GTi distributor. The springs get weak and advance the ignition too fast. A common compensation for this is to set the static advance to less - which screws up the overall advance curve - a common fault for lack of power in these superb engines. I measured the advance by spinning the distributor whilst measuring RPM with a hall-effect rev counter which I designed and built also, then measured the angle. Vacuum advance was taken care of using the original diaphram unit and a grey-code slider. Once that was done I programmed an EPROM with the parameters and designed appropriate voltage regulation circuitry. I could then swap EPROMS to experiment away from the 'factory' advance curve. This was back in 1984 but have done an electronics engineering degree since then. I have always applied what I know to electronic and mechanical engineering in vehicles.

Christ I sound like a right boff /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif having read that back - I guess I'm saying I know first principles mechanically and electrically so I'll always try and help from a theory point of view.

Cheers
Jon

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not in the trade but I think I'm technical. I designed and built a mapped ignition module to replace the centrifugal advance in a Mk1 Golf GTi distributor. The springs get weak and advance the ignition too fast. A common compensation for this is to set the static advance to less - which screws up the overall advance curve - a common fault for lack of power in these superb engines. I measured the advance by spinning the distributor whilst measuring RPM with a hall-effect rev counter which I designed and built also, then measured the angle. Vacuum advance was taken care of using the original diaphram unit and a grey-code slider. Once that was done I programmed an EPROM with the parameters and designed appropriate voltage regulation circuitry. I could then swap EPROMS to experiment away from the 'factory' advance curve. This was back in 1984 but have done an electronics engineering degree since then. I have always applied what I know to electronic and mechanical engineering in vehicles.

Christ I sound like a right boff /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif having read that back - I guess I'm saying I know first principles mechanically and electrically so I'll always try and help from a theory point of view.

Cheers
Jon

[/ QUOTE ]

cool! I was just looking at trying to start a serie of quite technical posts, want to start at the basics and try to help everyone understand a little more, plus I'm always keen to find out stuff I don't know, actually I'm really bad like that, there'll be something come up that intrigues me... I have to write it down so I remember to research it later, otherwise next time it'll bug me I forgot to find out how it worked!

[ QUOTE ]
That sounds like a plan - I want to know more about my car works without having to trawl loads of sites..

[/ QUOTE ]
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Cheers
Jon

[/ QUOTE ] AH but have you ever fitted a clutch on a Triumph Toledo /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Nothing really, that was the question!

Just wondering who else there got there C&G and went through those early very badly paid years! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ] I got fed up with the main dealer attitude of Bonus, Bonus, Bonus. And small garage attitude of Low pay, Low pay Low Pay. So now I drive a train /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

This is a good site to start with - http://www.audi-sport.net/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=generalchat&Number=1303&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

It covers several aspects of the S3, namely 4cyl engine characteristics, 5V per cylinder, turbocharger (yours is a K04 I think), intercooler, Haldex centre 'differential', traction control with conventional diffs / ABS - Audi call this EDL, ESP, ABS, understeer and oversteer, tyre slip angles etc.

Maybe there should be a poll to discover which parts of their cars people want to know most about?

Cheers
Jon

No! - never had that pleasure... I've de coked a 2L Pinto - and I'll never rest the drill on the bench again while using a flexible drive with a rotary wire brush which jams solid in a port... The 240V drill took off and wrapped itself around the power cord and me at the same time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif . I've changed various bearings in gear boxes and diffs where the preload is critical, burnt the skin off my hands doing a ring gear, dropped an eccentric valve clearance lock nut down an oil drain hole (gf at the time said 'just turn the engine upside down - it will come out... my comments nearly caused instant divorce), and gave a Capri 5 reverse gears and 1 forward (fitted a diff with the crown wheel on the wrong side...)
Bit scared of the S8 though - have only had the engine covers, air intake and spark plugs out - there don't seem to be many owners on forums who want to play (or are interested)

Cheers
Jon

Well never worked in the trade etc.

I did build this from scratch a few years ago
(assuming the piccys there!), hand built chassis etc, powered by GPZ1100 (bored to 1380).
Damn good fun to drive, managed a few FTD's in it and a fair few class wins.

I would be more than happy to help with technical stuff...

I am in the trade and often scan the boards trying to help... its my hobby too... hense the time spent..

I have worked on french german and Jap cars, from basic servicing to full engine rebuilds etc etc...

[ QUOTE ]
AndyC said:
I would be more than happy to help with technical stuff...

I am in the trade and often scan the boards trying to help... its my hobby too... hense the time spent..

I have worked on french german and Jap cars, from basic servicing to full engine rebuilds etc etc...

[/ QUOTE ]

It's good to have you onboard then Andy. You've got a JR filter fited on your A4, are you not concerned about MAF issues?

not really... they are not oily mate.... not like K&N...

been in for 10k miles and is fine..

if it goes wrong you lot will be the first to know

[ QUOTE ]
richyboy said:
AH but have you ever fitted a clutch on a Triumph Toledo /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I have fitted a clutch on a Triumph Herald. Does this count?

I have conducted percussive maintenance on a variety of VAG products over a 15 year period. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/goofy.gif