Changing headlight bulbs.....What gloves?

JDM82

Reaction score
I'll be changing my headlight bulbs and I remember being told that you should wear gloves? Are rubber surgical gloves ok? Its just to stop the oil from your skin getting on the bulb right?

I'll be changing my headlight bulbs and I remember being told that you should wear gloves? Are rubber surgical gloves ok? Its just to stop the oil from your skin getting on the bulb right?

AFAIK - You don't need any particular type of gloves, sure some surgical gloves, nitrile or latex will stop your bare fingers depositing grease on your bulb. But if you get any grease/dirt on the gloves it will deposit on the bulb.

I read somewhere ages ago that any deposit on the bulb will cause a hot spot which will lead to premature bulb failure.

Always carefully insert the bulb without banging or touching the glass on any thing.

So gloves will stop your hands getting dirty.

When you remove the cover on the head light, apply forward pressure to the cover to compress the o-ring seal before you push down the two clips. IMHO - it saved snapping the clips that hold the cover on.

Hope this helps.

Liam