Bluetooth / DIS problem

stucker

Reaction score
Hi all, any advice greatly appreciated regarding an odd problem i am having with my Audi Bluetooth kit, bit of a head scratcher as I can't seem to find any other posts regarding it and it is rather a long winded story to explain I'm afraid (so please bear with me guys)!

I have a 56 plate S4 cab and I was unfortunate enough to have the RNS-E (which was a retrofit) stolen a couple of months back (a worryingly common problem I have now come to realise)! I have since got the damage sorted and a replacement RNS-E fitted and whilst I they were at it, got the fitters to install a genuine OEM Bluetooth kit. The kit works (pairs with my car and I can make calls) but the telephone information (caller/phonebook etc) does not appear on the drivers information screen on the instrument cluster, nothing at all shows except blank space where the phone menus/info *is meant to show.

The fitters have assured me all components (Bluetooth kit/instrument cluster/rnse/mfsw) are all coded correctly via vagcom, but when I press the mode button on the steering wheel, the DIS just appears blank where the telephone info should appear? When I am using the Bluetooth kit everything displays correctly on the RNS-E under the Tel menu (so presumably both components are coded and connected correctly to talk to one another). Also the mfsw is controlling the Bluetooth kit during calls, so again seems to be coded fine. Confusingly the DIS does show everything else correctly (sat nav instructions from rnse/radio stations etc) it's just the phone stuff that doesn't appear.*

I guess my question is, does the Bluetooth kit communicate with the DIS directly or via the RNSE in my car (B7 S4 cab). If it is the later I can not see what the problem could be as Bluetooth info does show on the RNSE and other RNSE data does show on the DIS. I presume it must therefore be the former and guess this must point to a wiring fault - therefore can anyone confirm what the correct wiring should be? The more I think about it I suspect it probably is a wiring fault, as (with the great help of another audi sport member previously) we found the k line going into the RNS-E was in the wrong pin as until this was identified and corrected, vagcom could not communicate with the old RNS-E at all (presumably the original rnse retrofit was not done correctly and there could be other problems). Is there another wire/set of wires that might be wrong on the rnse install that would cause Bluetooth info not to appear on the DIS, but wouldn't cause any other noticeable problems elsewhere?

Bit of an odd one as I say, cheers if you have read to this point and any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance

I would get a second opinion on the coding it's the only reason why BT would not show up. If you ever near Darlington I can check it for you.

As a follow on, the Bluetooth connection is also unfortunately unreliable to say the least. My phone (IPhone 3GS) is paired with my car sucessfully and I always keep Bluetooth connectivity enabled on it, but sometimes I will turn the ignition on and my car and phone connect (and work perfectly - except the DIS display) but more often than not it doesn't connect at all - even after waiting the full 5 minutes where the kit should look for the phone. Is this likely to be a coding issue too or is it more likely a hardware problem