Humming Noise

shagga

Reaction score
Hi all,
Getting a deep humming noise when driving and can't pinpoint where from. It happens if the car is in gear or in neutral so I thought that would eliminate the gearbox...? Could it be a wheel bearing... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Cheers

does it make the noise when the car is stopped or only when the car is moving?

does the noise remain at a constant pitch or does it change as the engine revs increase, or change when the speed increases?

a wheel bearing obviously won't hum while the car is stopped.
faulty power steering will make a noise as the engine revs go up and down regardless of speed as will any other mchanical component attached to the engine.

Electrical components will generally stay constant, ie the fuel pump (hum will be from the rear)
the fresh air fan could be making the noise though this will obviously change in pitch as you increase the speed.

anything changed on the car recently? new tyres perhaps?

I had what sounds exactly the same on a previous car. It was the wheel bearing on mine.

Sounds like the most likely culprit. Does cornering make a difference?

Rich

Yeah a little. I know from past experience of my old Integrale what wheel bearings can be like. I've booked in to get it looked at Saturday.

Cheers guys.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

Damn,
Couldn't get to the dealer on Saturday to sort it out so I'm going either today or tomorrow. I sat in the back and let my wife drive .. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif and it was definately more evident and I could almost 'feel' the noise. Sounded like the rear drivers side bearing to me.