AH FabricationsVolks Autos

Thread: rev limit?

Administrator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Administrators On Twitter

rev limit?

just thought this would be an interesting post [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
    what is everyones rev limit?
    have you ever bounced the needle off it?
    and how often do you hit it?
    details of car etc would be useful for those who read!
    are we all a bunch of nutters? would be a good question also! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

2. # ADS
    ADS

Reverse Gear

Status

Re: rev limit?

Hiya Robins, I have hit 7300 after Revo remap but to be honest there is no need. You may as well change up after 6500. I would prefer the limit to be 6800 like standard to reduce damage.

Neutral

Status

Be careful what you do with that limiter... Im pretty sure the ECU records some funny error code that says, speed limiter exceeded, warranty void as one of its error codes...think this has been discussed on here during the cold war era.. if you know what I mean.. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

3rd Gear

Status

Well, the A4 TDI loaner I've got today does 5100RPM according to rev counter [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Administrator

Status

My Social Networking

[ QUOTE ]
    S3Bangs said:
    Be careful what you do with that limiter... Im pretty sure the ECU records some funny error code that says, speed limiter exceeded, warranty void as one of its error codes...think this has been discussed on here during the cold war era.. if you know what I mean.. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
    Indeed it does!
    So who else has seen this fault code?
    Would that make an undetectable chip, detectable! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
    Surely not!
    Unless you had the ability to erase the fault codes via vag-com or if you had the APR EMCS system, that maybe why most tuners don't raise the rev limit that far?

5th Gear

Status

I have done it a couple of times, but couldn't say what it bounced at......but will check it out tonight [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif[/img]

5th Gear

Status

Well it's around 6800rpm that it bounces in the A3T as tested last night [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Administrator

Status

My Social Networking

[ QUOTE ]
    DuncS3 said:
    I've hit the rev limit in my chipped car (many times), and checked with VAG COM and not had any codes (plus my car has been in the dealer without them saying anything)

Dunc

[/ QUOTE ]
    but if it went bang and you plugged your dongley thing in to revert to stock and you couldn't erase the engine warranty void code, the supposedly undetectable remap wouldn't be much help would it!

1st Gear

Status

John - preaching to the wrong guy - i had an APR chip in my car before REVO, so the undetectable bit is not a concern of mine (I mean in terms of soldering chips in ECU etc).

Anyway why should my engine warranty be void just because I hit the rev limit - or do we mean the increased rev limit post chipping?

I have had engine work done in the last two weeks and no one complained - I'm sure the work would of been done if the car was switchable or not TBH. Are we hinting that REVO for example has a higher rev limit than AMD - I cant say its higher than my old APR chip

Dunc

Administrator

Status

My Social Networking

No this has nothing to do with any tuner, it's just an observation, but I think the revo at the moment does have a higher rev limit than alot of the others and this may be the reason not many others have seen this engine warranty void code come up yet, or perhaps none of the dealers are really looking anyway?!

1st Gear

Status

Dunc,

John is talking about a raised revlimit due to chipping.
    I don't know the rev limits are for any of the chips, maybe someone with each one can test ( briefly please! ) and report back ?

1st Gear

Status

give me ten minutes and I'll check it from cold on my drive!

lol

I will post back later today

Dunc

Reverse Gear

Status

It does feel (subjectively at least) that the Revo code allows a few more revs than the standard map. I hit the limiter a few times pre-tune, and never had any questions from the dealer or DTCs cropping up in VAG-com (I was looking for engine codes as well - coilpack/MAF paranoia). IIRC the limiter on the standard map was about 7000 or maybe a little less.

I'm sure I've seen 7K on the rev-counter since Revo-ing, but I'm not actually aware of hitting the limiter (i.e. revs dropping back) so maybe I'm just being unintentionally sympathetic to the engine... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Having said all of that, the extra power and torque of the Revo map make the post-peak drop-off more noticeable than the standard map's, so I very rarely go beyond about 6K.

A question though - if it's possible to reset the rev limiter (as seems to be the case), and hitting the standard limiter doesn't throw up a code, why would hitting a limiter set higher? Unless there are 2 limits operating - one absolute limit over which the engine knows it will be damaged, but which doesn't cut back fuel, and one "moveable" one which actually affects engine speed.

Seems a bit fishy to me - are we sure this isn't a piece of propaganda from Audi to discourage people from chipping? Put another way - has anyone actually had their dealer refuse a claim because of this? Questions, questions... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

3rd Gear

Status

I would prefer tuners to not increase the rev limit. I suppose it does give a benefit in the first couple of gears, but it must place a good deal more strain.

My old A4 started to sound a little different when it went past the original limiter and onto nearly 7K. Those last couple of hundred sounded a little stressed, hence I didn't go there often.

Neutral

Status

I think there is a difference between rev limiting as in acclerating to a set limit and the case where you downshift at high speed into the wrong gear or leave the road at high speed without backing off and hence overspeed the motor. in this circumstance the rev limiter would do squat as it is mechanicaly caused.

You could say if you remove the rev limiter you could theoretically reach the limit whereby it records overspeed, whatever that means.

Neutral

Status

The FPA race car uses a 1.8T engine - reasonably standard appart from more boost (275bhp) - In my 3rd ever race in 2000 I went from 4th to 3rd (instead of 5th) coming up to redgate at Donington - The telemetry logged a peak of 8498 rpm with no ill effects - appart from losing 3 places :-)

DJ

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    Crafty said:
    I think you are probably right about the gas, be interesting to find out if any rally teams have experimented with inlet cooling ideas and which ones were dropped - especially group B era where they were all straining for maximum outputs..

[/ QUOTE ]

From memory the Group B theme was mostly the use of HUGE turbos...these having lag that could be measured using a sundial, but the advantage is that they weren't running a stupidly high boost pressure.

For instance, running a 1.8T K04 at 1.8 bar bost and producing 275BHP = massive charge heating from the turbo's comprsessing action...running a much bigger turbo unit increases lag, but may only need a boost of, say 0.7 bar, to achieve the same volume of air being forced into the cylinders.

Using this method made for power delivery like a switch...but did not require stupidly high boost pressures...and hence did not produce massive compressor discharge temperatures to have to intercool.
    Of course these figures are all relative..but we all get the idea.

Because of this, I can't remember Group B cars ever having any particularly odd inlet charge cooling set-ups...however, this may be just that they've never been published!

From memory though..I seem to remember that there were several irregularities regarding the fuel types...addatives such as methanol or alcolol will allow the engine to make more power due the the increase of oxygen at a molecular level...these were not permitted if I remember correctly..but I'm sure it went on!

[ QUOTE ]

Using a decent mappable ECU would let you control all these things from outputs, as I said before this would let you manipulate the map to cater for whats going on..

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely...and this set up would allow fallback maps should things like the IC water spray or Water Mist Injection systems fail.
    Pity no such device exists to the general public...as far as I'm aware.

[ QUOTE ]

e.g. IC spray, you could make it only come on above say 40 degrees when theres more than 10psi boost.. so the thing doesn't drench the car when you are sat in a traffic jam !

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed...far more subtle than relying on a full throttle microswitch for activation, as it can be at the moment.

5th Gear

Status

I actually looked at installing a charge cooler on my S3. I had one in the garage from one of my previous cars.
    It just would'nt fit, bugger, there was room for the pump and front heat exchanger pipes etc, but there just wasnt room for the inlet air flow heat exchanger.
    Never mind, I may just have to go down the FMIC route like yourself.
    Time will tell.