Hazard Warning Switch stays illuminated

Corrado Storm

Reaction score
Hi, the Hazard Warning Switch (Red Triangle) on my A3 is remaining illuminated perminently i.e. it doesn't switch-off after a time delay once the car is locked. If left standing for a couple of days the battery runs flat.

Pulling the F25 (40 amp) fuse switches the illumination off - but obviously takes out the rest of the lighting too! All other electrical systems appear to be working fine.

Anyone else experienced this, or got any thoughts? Is it likely to be a fault with the switch itself, or maybe the earthing point (E4/E5 in the Haynes diagram)?

Thanks!

Solved it! It was actually the 'Welcome Home' light switch (the one below the main light switch which holds the side lights on for 40 seconds after you lock the car) causing the problem. This was actually remaining illuminated constantly too, as well as the Hazard Switch. Disconnecting it has cured all symptoms, and the car now powers-down and goes into 'sleep mode' after the time delay, turning the Hazard Switch illumination as it's meant to.

My dad's has the same issue, how did you go about disconnecting it?

Hi,

I have an Audi A6 C6 Avant '07 20 TDI and have identical problem to yours. Illumination of hazard lights stays on when car is locked - after approx. 48hrs battery is flat. I have already had diagnostics done but does seem they were not any good, as could not find anything and returned car as non-fixable...

In one week time have an appointmet with main dealer workshop but am a bit scared about their labour charges (£105 per hour!!!), so try to figure it out by myself...

Currently I disconnect every day fuse in slot 32 (30amps - smart power output module), which is responsible for hazard light swith illumination, horn, washer jets and footwell lights and connect it back in every morning and everything works fine.

Is it possible that hazard light switch is faulty or it just indicates any other problem?

Thanks,
Greg

The hazard switch remains on when there is a problem in the electric circuit. It's not a problem itself, it's just a reminder that you have an electric problem somewhere in the car. It's kind of a diagnostic thing. A circuit may remain open, instead of closing after xx seconds after you lock the car, you may have a short somewhere, etc.
I have had this problem, the red triangle remained illuminated permanently, until after a couple of days when the battery was dead.
The red triangle can't drain the battery ( there are only 2 LEDs inside the triangle) , the consumption is too low to drain it. It just signaled that i had a problem. After i looked for it, i found a short circuit in the hatch articulation. It appeared as an error on Vag com when i opened or closed the hatch. There was a wire that lost its insulation and was touching the chassis and so it was a short.
I isolated it and fixed the problem. After this, the hazard warning light switches off within a couple of minutes after i lock the car.

Hi, the Hazard Warning Switch (Red Triangle) on my A3 is remaining illuminated perminently i.e. it doesn't switch-off after a time delay once the car is locked. If left standing for a couple of days the battery runs flat.

Pulling the F25 (40 amp) fuse switches the illumination off - but obviously takes out the rest of the lighting too! All other electrical systems appear to be working fine.

Anyone else experienced this, or got any thoughts? Is it likely to be a fault with the switch itself, or maybe the earthing point (E4/E5 in the Haynes diagram)?

Thanks!
Hi there yes is the f25 fuse for a3 2007 sline?