Airbag problems......

VAGMAN2

Reaction score
I have an A3 1.9TDI/2000, which has an airbag issue:

17931/P1523/005411 - Crash Signal from Airbag Controller: Implausible Signal

This is held on the engine engine (presumebly the one at the botmom of the windscreen, underneath the scuttle).

The hazards flash, the interior lights come on and the doors won't lock from inside the car. The airbag light also blinks on start-up (but then does go out).

I also found a water leak in the passenger footwell, and on investgation thought the water had come via badly-fitted windscreen scuttle. I've checked out the wiring from the engine ecu - both plugs were dry and clean. Whilst I had the scuttle off, I also opened the (white) loom junction box (on the driver's side) and found that many of the plugs in there had slightly corroded connections, so cleaned all of those.

I've since tried clearing the fault - sometimes it will clear, but then just re-generates. I did also find a fault code on the airbag ecu, stating a 'short' on the passenger side (stupidly I wiped the code in error and didn't record the code).

So, does anybody have any suggestions on where to go from here?? Any other connections to check/clean? Any other locations of wiring connections etc I should check? I think it is almost certainly a bad conection somewhere, but I'm now unsure where to start again?