Would wrong oil make a difference to performance?

wigginer

Reaction score
If the wrong oil was used during a AVS service could it affect performance / economy?

I suspect the dealer may have put the wrong oil in during my recent AVS service. I think they may have used VW 503 00 rather than VW 503 01 as recommended by the Owners Manual / Service Maintenance List.

The reason I suspect this was a disagreement I had with the Parts Department / Service Advisor on the day of the service over the type of oil. When I went to pick the car up after the service I asked for a litre of AVS oil to keep in the boot. Without checking they produced VW 503 00 oil, which started my alarm bells ringing.

Is it likely the Service Technician also got it wrong? He definitely ticked the OK/completed box on the maintenance checklist:
Engine Oil: Replenish ... VW standard: 503 01 Oil filling quantity 6,3 litres

I am imagining all sorts of problems at the moment ... you know how it is when you suspect something is wrong and you can't put your finger on it!

If they got it wrong would it be a serious problem?

I am convinced the engine is racing, noisier and low on torque in the higher gears. Could this be related to wrong oil?

Please put help put my mind at rest ...

Yours with paranoia !!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Have you brought this up with the audi garage if you feel confident enough about it they should change your oil no problem

Well I took it back in on the 23rd for a check and chat with a Service Technician. I ended up once more in a debate about the spec of oil that they should have used at the service. He said that they normally use VW 503 00 for AVS services for most engines, mine included. The VW 503 01 is normally only used for the 'bigger-turboed' ones.

I quizzed him what he would use for a TT 225 and he said the 01. I put it to him again that my car should use 01, as I new for a fact that the TT 225 and mine have same same AVS oil requirements.

I was just going around and around with this guy and in the end he went of to check ... why, as I had been waving my Owners Guide at him for 5 mins?

... he eventually came back with a 'bull-[censored]' answer.

"Although he personally would not normally fill my car with 01, it should be 01 according to Audi".

Then, with a dead-pan face told me, in fact, it had been filled with 01 in this case.

What sort of answer is that, it don't stack up?

I am at that point now that I have not got a clue what oil was put in and will have to wait for to see how many miles I get out it before the next AVS.

What did I learn from all this?

1. VW 503 01 is a more viscous oil, with higher dynamic shear characteristics. Iis used to protect engines that normally experience high loads. e.g. good for the bigger but, not necessarily just the turboed engines. It is recommended for AVS service on the 3.0 v6.

2. VW 503 00 is 'cheaper' and is recommmended to be used for 'fixed maintenance' services on the 3.0 v6, up to 10,000 miles.

I give up. I think I will change the oil myself at about 8,000 miles and then when I take it in for my next "warranty" service, take my own oil with me to make sure they put the right stuff in.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif

How fustrating,i would do same take oil in yourself save a few quid and peace of mind that you have right oil in engine

hi just read the thread, im not sad enough at work to remember all the VAG codes. but here we go, using the wrong oil will not definately damage your engine, also you are allowed a 10% mix of non-correct oil. i will advise you that we have had 4 cars recovered due to the oil strainers blocking up due to the possibility of incorrect oil being used!

we choose the correct oil for servicing by horsie power.

SLX1 is for all cars under 225BHP.

SLX2 is for most cars over 225BHP.

PD oil is used for PD engines and RS6's.

hope this help's,

What about whether the cars are on AVS or not?

So what you said is only part of the story. This is a little dangerous when people are taking your informed comments as gospel.

With regards Magnatec - I'd never EVER use it in one of my cars. Too many horror stories of it turning to sludge.

Also I didn't think it was 503.1 compliant? Possibly so I steer clear so am not up on the details.

IIRC it's Castrol. It's expensive from a dealer. Grab some Mobil 1 (check the packaging for the correct references) and take that in instead.

M11 Junction 7.

If you supply your own oil don't forget to tell them. If you just leave it in the car they won't use it. I once remembered just in time!

I've been to 'sunny Spain' over the new year so apologies all for the late response and thanks to all for responding.

However, foolish3uk your comment worries me further. If you guys cannot remember the VAG codes, then what is the point of them and whatsmore how can you guarantee you are following VAG recommendations. Your 'rules' seem to be too general and do not grasp the basic differences between AVS and fixed maintenance requirements. My car is 220 bhp, so would fall into your SLX1 category. This does not comply with VAG advice as described in my owners handbook and the maintenance service sheet, which is VW 503 01 for AVS service. I think this relates to SLX2 in your world.

ps 'Sad' does not come into it ... it is your job to know ... and understand !!!

I suggest you need to extend your 'unwritten rules' to cover the two basics:
>> AVS
>> Fixed Service
and then by again by BHP. I think you will find they will better reflect VAG recommendations ...

Arithmatically, this is 6 rules rather than 3 and not too much for a professional ... I hope!!!

[ QUOTE ]
foolish3uk said:
hi just read the thread, im not sad enough at work to remember all the VAG codes. but here we go, using the wrong oil will not definately damage your engine, also you are allowed a 10% mix of non-correct oil. i will advise you that we have had 4 cars recovered due to the oil strainers blocking up due to the possibility of incorrect oil being used!

we choose the correct oil for servicing by horsie power.

SLX1 is for all cars under 225BHP.

SLX2 is for most cars over 225BHP.

PD oil is used for PD engines and RS6's.

hope this help's,

[/ QUOTE ]

oh dear i have written that back to front it is ment to read
SLX1 = 225 or over
SLX2 = under 225

DO NOT come attacking me because i cant be bothered to remember the oil VAG spec's,

your the sad one i remember when i need to, remembering the codes is not necessary i have them on a chart at work so i just look when i need to, however i am at home helping whoever i can, and im quite sure i can grasp the differences between longlife and fixed service's

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/fuck_you.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/fuck_you.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/fuck_you.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/fuck_you.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/fuck_you.gif

Thanks for all your help foolish, your help is appreciated! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Rich.

[ QUOTE ]
foolish3uk said:

DO NOT come attacking me because i cant be bothered to remember the oil VAG spec's,

[/ QUOTE ]

Your right of course ... thanks for your assistance /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif