Audi A6 2.5 TDI Quattro - Engine Removal Help (Broken Cam Followers)

Craig!

Reaction score
Hi Guys.

I'm looking for a bit of advice, after years of taking over my fathers garage with my own cars and projects it's time for me to repay him by fixing his car, an '03 A6. Basically after making a right 'ole racket last night and some investigation work today it appears the cam followers (arms that the cam shaft rotate onto) have snapped and there is excessive wear on the cams. I have found one of the valve cap's but not the second one so fear it might have dropped into the sump via the return oil ways.

I think the easiest way to attempt this mammoth task would be to drop the engine out from the front, and work on it on an engine stand instead of chewing about with it in situation, the question I have is what's the best way to attempt the removal? I know people will say the head can be removed in situation, but my worry is if I rebuild the head and fire it up there may have been an under lying problem that caused the followers to break and then were back to square one.

So whats the best way to attempt this task? Do I drop the engine and transmission as one or does the box come away from the engine with ease, I've read something before about 2.7 S6's having something to do with the TC causing problems upon removal but don't know if this is the case with the 2.5TDI.

A brief step by step would be great, but I appreciate not everyone has the time for this so just looking for general hints and tip's such as leave the exhaust manifolds on and just disconnect the exhaust at the down pipe flange.

Many thanks for your help, I'll hopefully produce a photo doccumented thread along the way.

i ended up rebuildin the heds in my 2.5 tdi a4 alls i can say is be prepared for involvment and silly bits here and the that youl be better replaceing whilst off i had the exact same problem with mine i put a whole new cam kit in as it is a known fault and a job id rather do once than just patch up time and time again i removed both heads in the bay lifted up on ramp and removed sump just as it ment could keep the block attached to the box anddidnt need to take the whole thing out f you need an indepth help let me know