drinking and driving

ajmackie

Reaction score
Website
www.audi-sport.net
does anyone know for a fact how much you can drink and still drive? I thought it was 2 pints of carlsberg strength but not so sure now!

P.S. If anyone gets pulled over and the ask how long ago you had a drink, say just then as they have to wait 15 minutes for the alcohol to enter your bloodstream and the chances are they won't wait. BUT don't drink and drive over the limit as it kills!!!

There is no such thing as a safe amount (never mind a LEGAL amount)to drink and drive. Aside from the fact that every person metabolises alcohol at a different rate, the impairment of judgement begins immediately. You can be within the legal limit, and still be a danger to yourself and others. How might you feel if you caused an accident in which someone else was killed or badly injured, and you had drunk just one pint? How would you ever know if the alcohol had caused it?

It's very simple. If you are going drinking, leave your car at home. Walk, take a taxi or get a lift, but DON'T ****** well drive!

I think everyone would agree with you there Jeff, the issue which worries me is the morning after. When is it safe to drive after a p*ss up? You may not even feel hung over but could still be over the limit at 9am the following morning.
I've been to plenty or works do's where drinking stops at 3am and these guys are in their cars at 8am, no way under the limit. That's an extreme example, but where is the line?
I'm certain I've driven over the limit the next day without even being aware of it. I guess the difference is you aren't suffering from drunkeness so are less likely to have an accident as a result of the alcohol, but you could easily be done for speeding, and then breathalised as a result. You could potentially kill someone in an accident, totally not your fault, and then find yourself up on a manslaughter charge. Doesn't bear thinking about, it's getting scarier & scarier getting behind the wheel.

Point taken! Basically I went out last night to town, drove and had 2 pints over a 3 hour period (1 Kronenbourg and 1 Stella (didn't drink full pint of stella)) and when I drove home I did feel a wee bit less aware. Scary really as I'm sure I was perfectly legal, but don't want to put other people at risk. Also I think when you go out to a bar / club with loud music, the sound pressure level on your ears makes you feel drunk afterwards!!!

Not too sure about the morning after. I might get one of those breathalisers, but then that os probable overkill and sad! Just do what I do and stay in bed till the afternoon and then you are definately not over the limit!!!!!

If you'd had an accident whilst feeling "a wee bit less aware", would you have felt guilty for having that Stella?

At the end of the day this is not about being legal or illegal. It's about taking personal responsibility for your actions.

Could you live with it if you'd caused a fatality due to your slightly less than normal awareness.

Sorry to be heavy but it is as simple as that.

[ QUOTE ]
AndyMac said:
I think everyone would agree with you there Jeff, the issue which worries me is the morning after. When is it safe to drive after a p*ss up? You may not even feel hung over but could still be over the limit at 9am the following morning.
I've been to plenty or works do's where drinking stops at 3am and these guys are in their cars at 8am, no way under the limit. That's an extreme example, but where is the line?
I'm certain I've driven over the limit the next day without even being aware of it. I guess the difference is you aren't suffering from drunkeness so are less likely to have an accident as a result of the alcohol, but you could easily be done for speeding, and then breathalised as a result. You could potentially kill someone in an accident, totally not your fault, and then find yourself up on a manslaughter charge. Doesn't bear thinking about, it's getting scarier & scarier getting behind the wheel.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've had some experience of the morning after, and it was a scary one, I can tell you. About seven years ago, I spent a Friday night at my brother's house near Eastbourne. We were drinking til about 3am. At about 9.30am, without having had anything to eat or drink (not even a cup of coffee), I set off to drive back to London. About half way, I passed out behind the wheel & veered off the road. The bumping on the grass verge woke me up & I managed to haul the car to a halt just before it hit a road sign. After a few minutes while I was all over the place, I managed to settle my nerves enough to drive off.

Just as I was pulling away, a police car arrived. They'd been called by another driver who had seen me go off the road. They made sure I was OK, & then presented me with The Bag to blow into. I stank of alcohol. It was oozing from me. To this day, I will never know how I passed that breath test. They had to let me drive off. At the first garage I came to in Tunbridge Wells, I went & had a cold water wash, then drank two pints of milk. I had a lot of explaining to do to the missus when I got home, and since that day, I have simply changed the way I approach drinking, if I even suspect I might be driving before Midday the following day.

don't get me wrong, i'm not into drinking and driving. i'm not going to have more than 1 pint in future and drive. i do feel fine off 1 pint and it's normally 2 hours later before i drive.

Scotty said "Could you live with it if you'd caused a fatality due to your slightly less than normal awareness"

same goes for being tired, probably more so as we all drive when we're tired.
Same goes for being an OAP or just being crap at driving, but they're not going to take your licence off you for it, unfortunately.
You might have had 2 pints of Stella and because of this you drive more carefully. It's a moot point really because drunk driving in my book, is just what it says, driving while drunk, not driving after 2.5 pints.
There are plenty of drivers out there that drive like they're drunk when sober.
Be careful out there.....

yeah very wise words andymac! i'm just going to stick with 1 pint in future and no rocket fuel, aka stella!

Amazing how crap some drivers on our roads really are. How did they pass???! How much was their bribe!!!

So since we are talking about this wot about the ideas being banded about ,off a tube in the car u need to blow into to start the car? would any one object to theses things in there new cars?
personally i wouldnt, but there is the argument it is against ure human rights? so how do u feel over this idea?

South Africa has just introduced a new law, if you are caught driving while drunk, the state can now confiscate your car. Desperate measures to try and stop the carnage on our roads. Let's see if it works!?!

Best thing to do is smoke some BUD!!! When my friends and I use to go out...way back in time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif, I was always the designated driver, so I would smoke and still feel great to drive after I've overcome my munchies /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

G

Dont know about that RastaS4, I dont smoke anything but I used to have some mates that did. If they were smoking I would always drive as they had the reactions of sloath. They also got upset if you drove at more than 30mph on a country road. While I totally agree about drink driving, I dont think that speeding should be as taboo. Lack of concentration and excess tiredness is far more dangerous.

[ QUOTE ]
fallmonk said:
So since we are talking about this wot about the ideas being banded about ,off a tube in the car u need to blow into to start the car? would any one object to theses things in there new cars?
personally i wouldnt, but there is the argument it is against ure human rights? so how do u feel over this idea?

[/ QUOTE ]
problem is that anyone can blow in these tubes, not necessarily the driver...

regarding the whole problem of driving and drinking or smoking or being tired or excessive speed (anyone here?) or anything else is that they are cause of over 90% of accidents and as such should be fought against
As long as there are more tracks to play on, there are loads of idea:
- all electronic gizmo that can help. speed limit is ok (not necessarily via GPS but rather a more local detection). get the car to slow down gradually after 3(?) hours of driving like -10mph of speed limit
- definitely more hours of driving before getting your licence. and get your driving checked every 5 years and every 2 years after 65.
- upgrade tarmac
- get tyres that make a specific noise when tread is low
- increase speed limit on some motorway sections / hours for drivers with speial training certificate
- have a minimum speed on motorways
- have heavier fines for midddle lane hog (ouh that's gonna hurt BMW)
- forbid trucks to overtake in some motorway sections
- forbid trucks (except for fresh products) on roads on Sundays and bank holidays

good ideas! saab were looking at bringing out a breathalyser built into the key fob to be able to drive the car. it would know it was you too.

That would be a complete knightmare in reality if you think about. there are plenty of things which can effect a breath test ie cough syrup, flu medication, lockets and also breath freshners among other things can all make a breath test read positive. what do you do then not use your car when you have a cold or bad breath?

[ QUOTE ]
xmaslolly said:
That would be a complete knightmare in reality if you think about. there are plenty of things which can effect a breath test ie cough syrup, flu medication, lockets and also breath freshners among other things can all make a breath test read positive. what do you do then not use your car when you have a cold or bad breath?

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no easy solution for this but I think we all agree that drink driving is a no no. As for the above you will find that the examples you have given will contain alcohol of some sort I.e. cough syrup, flu medication. I would be doubtful if lockets and breath freshners (excluding mouth wash) would have any effect on the breath test and for it to read positive would require a large amount of the above.

That said technology being what it is Breath tests are not always accurate hence the need to be taken to a police station to provide further samples. It is not a crime or offence to provide a positive roadside breathtest it only becomes a crime when a further sample, which should be more accurate, is taken back at the station.

Just to end I once blew an amber light on a roadside breathtest knowing full well that I hadn't had a drink for 4 days previous. The explanation given was that it could have been caused by the vinegar on my chips which I had just eaten. And this was from the cop who stopped me ? ? ? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

lockets can effect a breath test we had a demo at some police confrence i got dragged to! Also i didnt mean mouth wash i meant those little srays you get to freshen your breath they contain concentrated alcohol which is why you are advised not to use them if you get pulled as they can throw the test. Also my comment had nothing to do with the police and getting prosicuted it was the unworkability of having to use a breath test before you can drive your car

Not condoning this behaviour at all but I heard of a guy who got off a ban for drink driving with quite a creative workaround. He was over the limit, and knew it, so when he got pulled, he parked up, got out of the car, locked the car before the cops got to him then downed most of a half bottle of whisky. All the police could do him for was tampering with evidence or similar misdemeanour, so he got off with just a fine.
Probably just an urban myth but you have to admire his balls.

[ QUOTE ]
AndyMac said:

Probably just an urban myth but you have to admire his balls.

[/ QUOTE ]

Admire he's balls??? Naaaaaa, not really /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

G

Well he cant have been that [censored] to think up that idea!

Rich

[ QUOTE ]
xmaslolly said:
Also my comment had nothing to do with the police and getting prosicuted it was the unworkability of having to use a breath test before you can drive your car

[/ QUOTE ]

What I was trying to say is that I would agree with you. I was just giving the example of the Police breathalyser being inefficient which I assume would work on similar principals of having the test before you drive the car. Therefore I can't see of anything which would give an accurate enough measure of alcohol in your system to prevent you from driving.

you can get a little blood test pen now very similer to what diabetics have to use to test there blood suger but for alcohol which are meant to be a lot more reliable however i would fancy a little ***** every time i want to drive my car
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

sorry that should read shouldnt

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush2.gif

[ QUOTE ]
xmaslolly said:

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush2.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

r u casting aspersions on me dickyS3

[ QUOTE ]
xmaslolly said:
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

r u casting aspersions on me dickyS3

[/ QUOTE ]

Who Me??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

[ QUOTE ]
RichA3Turbo said:
Well he cant have been that [censored] to think up that idea!

Rich

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe he was so [censored] he just needed a whizz and more drink, I mean who keeps a bottle of whisky in their glovebox (apart from the Sweeney)?

[ QUOTE ]
xmaslolly said:

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jawdrop.gif

g

[ QUOTE ]
xmaslolly said:
why are you looking so surprised rasta ???

[/ QUOTE ]