Phone based diagnostics

leshkin

Hold my beer...
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Just moved from iPhone to Android and saw that you can get a torque app and connect to an OBD dongle via bluetooth to get some basic diagnostics.

I have a genuine VCDS, but this sounds like a nice compromise between full blown diagnostics tool and something you can take with you in case you need to scan or log the car.

Has anyone used this or thinking of getting it? I'm tempted.

Yeah, the iPhone store has an app called Rev, which seems like a nice little package, but the app is a little on the expensive side, plus it requires a WiFi OBD dongle, which are over 150 pounds.

The Android app is something like 2 euros, plus it uses bluetooth for connectivity and there are tonnes of ebay dongles that should work with it. For a total cost of about 25 quid, excluding the phone, it sounds like a nice little gadget.

You mean the 5054 copies?. Not that cheap, unless theres something else?

nice! cant wait to give it a try, good to see that android is really taking-off now! if anyone has a bluetooth odb key for sale - PM me

Well, I just got the BT dongle today and have only played about with connecting it to the phone, which is very straight-forward. The app seems to work well with decent sample rate... You can customize the layout and the way the data is presented, as well as logging GPS position you can use the phone's sensors to log lateral forces when accelerating, cornering or braking!

Well worth the total cost of 30-odd quid for the app and dongle.

alex, you can buy a new dongle on ebay for very little money, compared to more advanced tools.