Time Travel... What do we think?

lil_coz

Reaction score
I've just been watching Into the Universe With Stephen Hawking on Discovery and today's episode was on time travel. Anyone else watch it?

I love stuff like this! Now time travel is a complete mind f**k to me! It's probably why I enjoy watching things like that so that I can understand how it could work. Either way, I didn't understand how wormholes work at all! It turns out that he doesn't think they exist (for time travel anyway) so I won't be losing any sleep on it. He recons that you can only go forward in time (which theoretically can be possible using his explanation) but not back in time because of paradoxes.

I've never believed in going back in time anyway. My reasoning was that going with the argument that you can go back in time and be part of that present/future (i.e your past) and that you could possibly change it. Now I believe that what I'm doing now and what I'll be doing in the next 5 mins is my choice and has never happened before (in anyone else's perspective either). So for someone to be going back in time would mean that I'll have no choice at all in what I'll be doing. That make sense to anyone?! lol

Just wanted to see what you lot though about it all. :think:

really interested in this type of stuff myself.

The truth is, if time travel was possible, we would all be dead!

Why? Because someone will land on your head or appear in the same time and space you are right now! Just think, if humans as a species lives on to be infinity, then every bit of time and space would be visited on in the past, and they would need to appear somewhere safe and discreet to not be detected to change the future.

Does that make sense at all?

You mean like in Blackadder Back and Forth where he lands on Wellington?! lol I see what you mean...

The examples used in this episode weren't quite as sci-fi as disappearing and re-appearing in any given space like say in Back to the Future where the car re-appears in the same place but in a different time. Because he doesn't think going back in time is possible because of the paradoxes, it counts that out. But his explanation about going forward in time is fairly straight forward.

Apparently time passes slower when you are near an object with a large mass. So time on earth is a fraction of a second slower that out in space because you are closer to a large mass. So you travel to a point where time passes slower, then travel back to earth. Because your time frame was slower, everyone else has shot forward in time, thus you travel forward in time when you go back.

Does that make any sense? lol

The whole quantum physics is a bit of a mind f3ck really, if you truly understood it I think it would send you mad. Anyway, we've all seen what Biff did in Back to the Future II so let's not take the risk.

Here's summat tho. Light from the sun bounces off the earth and off into space at speed of light. If you were going with it, and past it, faster than speed of light, you'd be able to turn around and take a photo of the past...(?) More mushroom soup please doll...

As for going faster than speed of light, we're still long way from achieving that but if we all got bigger turbos, go-faster stripes and tied all our cars together, it would probably work.

Also is the future already written?

If so then we can assume that in hundreds or thousands of years humans have invented time travel.

If so....then that would mean future humans may be here right now and among us? unless in the future they choose not to go back in time and are policing it. (think time cop).

But then alternate dimensions comes into it aswell,every choice we make extends another time line, meaning their are millions of alternate dimensions.

but if we all got bigger turbos, go-faster stripes and tied all our cars together, it would probably work.

Lol, aslong as they are all audi's aswell.:laugh:

I still believe einstein was either:-

A) An ALIEN or...
B) Sent from the future

Im going to go with ALIEN as the most likely explantion, that guy knew to much!

As for going faster than speed of light, we're still long way from achieving that but if we all got bigger turbos, go-faster stripes and tied all our cars together, it would probably work.

LMAO!! That'll be a lot of stripes!

As for going faster than the speed of light, that's meant to be impossible. I've always thought to myself that you could go faster. Take for instance a space ship travelling at the speed of light, and an astronaut running from one end to the other in the direction that the space ship is travelling in... he would then be going faster than the speed of light.

That was explained in the episode tonight and it makes sense. The closer to the speed of light you get, the slower time gets in your perspective. Incidentally travelling close to the speed of light was the most realistic way of travelling forward in time because you slow down. Until you eventually reach the speed of light and your time will stop all together.

So basically can only go forward in time. If I decide to go 2 weeks into the future, I then can't get back. I stay there. It's not an instant time jump. You age as well, just not as fast as everyone else. Say 2 weeks on a space ship doing 99.9% the speed of light is the equivelant of 1 year on earth.

Also is the future already written?

That what I was getting at in my first post. I don't think it is. I like to think that I have free choice in what I do.

But then alternate dimensions comes into it aswell,every choice we make extends another time line, meaning their are millions of alternate dimensions.

There is that as well... but I'm not too sure on it myself. Thinking about it makes your head hurt. That all I know lol

Physicists found the law of nature which prevents time travel paradoxes and thereby permit time travel. It’s the same law that makes sure light travels in straight lines which underpins the straightforward version of quantum theory. It’s something called The Principle of Minimal Action and was formulated in the 1600’s. Its trajectories like the path of a light ray from A to B or the flight of a ball tossed off a roof.

The possibility of paradoxes worries scientists because if a time traveller went back in time and accidentally, or deliberately, killed their granny then hey, bang goes the time-traveller’s mum and the time-traveller. People are hard to describe mathematically but I once read it explained like this: if a billiard ball went into the mouth of a wormhole it would emerge from the past from the other mouth and collides with its other self on the way in to the first mouth, knocked out of the way and would therefore never enter the wormhole in the first place. So as Lil-C said, travelling back in time is already proven theoretically as being impossible.

What gives me a head-f3ck is that there isn’t a difference between the past and the future! We perceive time flows in one direction doesn’t actually mean there’s any difference between ‘then’ and ‘now’. Quantum mechanics has apparently already proven this. Think about that for a bit and oh pooh, brain-ache!

My name is JoJo, I'm from the future. :cool:

My name is Darth Vader, and I'm from the planet Vulcan... cue Van Halen music....

And there's me thinking that you came to save us from a troop of terminators :aggressive:

The possibility of paradoxes worries scientists because if a time traveller went back in time and accidentally, or deliberately, killed their granny then hey, bang goes the time-traveller’s mum and the time-traveller. People are hard to describe mathematically but I once read it explained like this: if a billiard ball went into the mouth of a wormhole it would emerge from the past from the other mouth and collides with its other self on the way in to the first mouth, knocked out of the way and would therefore never enter the wormhole in the first place.

Another one is that you have a wormhole that goes a min or so in the past. You assemble a gun, go through the wormhole and shoot yourself through the wormhole before you've even built the gun. So you've shot yourself with a gun you haven't assembled yet. It just can't work.

We perceive time flows in one direction doesn’t actually mean there’s any difference between ‘then’ and ‘now’.

Apparently you can think of time like a river or a stream whereby at different points in this river the water flows faster than at other points. This is where the idea comes from that time is slower near big masses than in space.

Another one is that you have a wormhole that goes a min or so in the past. You assemble a gun, go through the wormhole and shoot yourself through the wormhole before you've even built the gun. So you've shot yourself with a gun you haven't assembled yet. It just can't work.

..exactly, because the event never existed so it becomes a mere theoretical event.

Apparently you can think of time like a river or a stream whereby at different points in this river the water flows faster than at other points. This is where the idea comes from that time is slower near big masses than in space.

Yes, time goes faster when you're near a large mass - e.g time moves faster on planet earth than in space which proves in itself that when an astronaut is looking down at the planet, where he's looking is fractionally later in time.

There, see, we of Audi-sport have proven time-travel. Only thing is, who's up for building the time-machine as I have a few ex's O wish never happened. Oh, hang on, no, we can't go backwards lol.

There, see, we of Audi-sport have proven time-travel. Only thing is, who's up for building the time-machine as I have a few ex's O wish never happened. Oh, hang on, no, we can't go backwards lol.

Well I keep throwing myself off the toilet to try and picture the flux capacitor but still no luck. Once I get to that stage I'll need some Uranium for the 1.21 Gigawatts of power that I need! :unsure: