Chris NottMonster Motorsport

Thread: 3D TV

2nd Gear

Status

3D TV

Any one thinking of shelling out for a 3D telly ?

saw them at the gadget show and picture is, to be fair amazing, but i just cant see the point in getting one at the moment

the samsung one just gone on sale at john lewis is 1800 quid, and you get no 3d glasses, no 3d blu ray player, there are barely any 3d channels and the telly is expensive to begin with

and what happens when a couple of mates come over...are you supposed to lash out on several more pairs of glasses for them as well???

i reckon its one to put on the back burner for 12 months until some more content is available....
    A4 Cabriolet 2.0T S line special edition

Past motors
    -Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo
    -Peugeot 205 GTI
    -Vauxhall Nova SR

2. # ADS
    ADS

4th Gear

Status
    Not for me mate - I've had HD from day one, and have recently bought a new Viera TV - No way i'd shell out for another TV as i'm happy with the set-up i have.

I'd rather wait until they overcome the need for glasses etc.

Though i suppose, being that i'm a gadget nut, i'll be posting here in a few months about my new 3D set-up...!

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Good 2 B A Gooner View Post
    Not for me mate - I've had HD from day one, and have recently bought a new Viera TV - No way i'd shell out for another TV as i'm happy with the set-up i have.

I'd rather wait until they overcome the need for glasses etc.

Though i suppose, being that i'm a gadget nut, i'll be posting here in a few months about my new 3D set-up...!
    for that reason it could well fall flat on its arse 3d tv, many people have just spent a wad on a new hdtv and they are not exactly going to bin them off after a few years for a 3d model...fortunatly i bought my plasma five ish years ago when they were fresh on the market..so its ripe for changing now..even so i am loathed to upgrade as it still looks sweet and cost me a packet back in the day !!
    A4 Cabriolet 2.0T S line special edition

Past motors
    -Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo
    -Peugeot 205 GTI
    -Vauxhall Nova SR

S3 Drift King!

Status
    Paid a just under a grand for my plasma a few years back, didn't want to pay 4+ back when they had just come out, but now you can get the same thing for 600ish. Can't see myself changing setups soon, unless it's about a grand to upgrade, which I think is reasonable.

99' Audi S3(APY) - Brilliant Black Click>>>Going Sideways vid!
    You've got to have a laugh! For Sale:LCR Brakes - £400

4th Gear

Status
    There isnt really that many hd channels, unless you have the full package. My TV is rarely on a hd channel , mainly because we forget we have it, but it is nice to see it when we flick up and down. If it come to the point where there is loads of 3d channels and it isnt sore to watch then possibly.

1st Gear

Status
    dont really see the point in getting a 3d tv not yet anyway cos there aint much in 3d on da tv..

North East Forum Moderator

Status
    Give it a couple of months and you'll be able to get 3D Contact Lenses.

Website | Facebook | Audi TT 2.0TDI 170 Quattro

6th Gear

Status
    I'm kinda keen to move over to HDTV & blueray but now I dont know. I got caught out last time buying just before HD became affordable in an decent size! TBH, I think its still going to be a good few years before its affordable & with decent content.
    2003-2008 1998 Red A3 8L 1.8 Sport
    2008 -> 2003 Akoya Silver A3 8P1 2.0 FSi Sport

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by dc240969 View Post
    There isnt really that many hd channels, unless you have the full package. My TV is rarely on a hd channel , mainly because we forget we have it, but it is nice to see it when we flick up and down. If it come to the point where there is loads of 3d channels and it isnt sore to watch then possibly.
    Couldnt of said it better, all this HD ******, get hd & how many channels are HD, almost sweet fa initially & it isnt exactly heeving with them now huh, hype crap, also bluray imho is dying a death with the advent of online movie downloads & streaming, as our adsl gets quicker (cable much faster) we will see the movie business be all online, perfect example, look at Blockbuster, so in debt & its nemesis Netflix has taken over completely in the US with 54% of there dvd to rent via post subscribers now streaming movies.

I tested hd on sky for while then got rid of it, mainly cause the audacity of 1st charging us 300 for the box (which is now free) & charging us on top of our top subscription an extra tenner for almost feck all channels, anyone else see an issue with this???

Quote Originally Posted by Khufu View Post
    I'm kinda keen to move over to HDTV & blueray but now I dont know. I got caught out last time buying just before HD became affordable in an decent size! TBH, I think its still going to be a good few years before its affordable & with decent content.
    100% Ewan, you've said things I believe aswell, forget Bluray as costwise I'd rather watch SD as its a rip of IMHO & the HD content is TBH quite ****e still, they should have dual SD & HD channels for all the channels on sky, not handful of.

The best ever HD channel on sky was Discovery HD, outstanding images.

All IMHO of course.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

4th Gear

Status
    The best HD channel is the one that appears when l turn on my PS3

4th Gear

Status
    Sorry but the HD haters need to know the facts first - I have and have had Sky HD since it came out - There is masses of HD content (Unless you have a two-bob V+ box)

Here are the HD channels on my box at the mo;

Channel 4 HD
    BBC HD
    Sky 1 HD
    ITV1 HD
    FX HD
    Bio HD
    Syfry HD
    E4 HD
    Sky 3D....
    Sky Arts 1 HD
    Sky Arts 2 HD
    Luxe TV HD
    Sky Real Live HD
    Sky Premiere HD
    Sky Showcase HD
    Sky Comedy HD
    Sky Action HD
    Sky Family HD
    Sky Thriller HD
    Sky Drama Room HD
    Sky SciFi/Hor HD
    Sky Modern Greats HD
    Sky Indie HD
    MGM HD
    MTV HD
    Sky Sports HD1
    Sky Sports HD2
    Eurosport HD
    Sky Sports HD3
    ESPN HD
    Rush HD
    Sky News HD
    Nat Geo HD
    Nat GeoWild HD
    History HD
    Crime HD
    Disney Cinema HD
    SBO HD1
    SBO HD2

40 Channels showing HD content... What more do you want?!

As for Bluray - Please... Bluray is outstanding! Do yourselves a favour; get a PS3 and whatch District 9
    DVD is like watching a VHS now - Simple.

I have a nice TV, HD, Bluray and a Bose System for the sound - I love it, it cost me a fair penny, but then you get what you pay for IMO.
    HD, Bluray isn't for all, but you shouldn't make silly comments that it's crap and there isn't any content, etc, etc - As it's misleading.

Try watching SkySports HD and then switching over to normal SS and see the difference for yourself - Lost in HD is also amazing, throw in a bit of Dolby Digital and wow!
    Last edited by Good 2 B A Gooner; 24th April 2010 at 10:02.

6th Gear

Status
    I would just wait a while, because those 1800 3d tvs will be half that this time next year! if not less, because some other new HD technology will come along.

And then they will come with 3D bluray players and maybe even free accessories like glasses, unless you have deep pockets i would avoid 3D until it is properly established.

I paid 1800.00 for my 52" 6 Series Samsung LCD and it has lost over 400.00 in less than a year, it is still holding at about 13-1400 though which isnt too bad i suppose.

Tech nowadays moves far to quick to keep up.

I also have a Very nice, sony 5.1 setup and bluray/xbox 360 and have to admit i do love bluray!

Maritus Blue Audi A4 3.0 V6 S-Line TDi 275bhp, 585nm Torque

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazmo View Post
    I would just wait a while, because those 1800 3d tvs will be half that this time next year! if not less, because some other new HD technology will come along.

And then they will come with 3D bluray players and maybe even free accessories like glasses, unless you have deep pockets i would avoid 3D until it is properly established.

I paid 1800.00 for my 52" 6 Series Samsung LCD and it has lost over 400.00 in less than a year, it is still holding at about 13-1400 though which isnt too bad i suppose.

Tech nowadays moves far to quick to keep up.

I also have a Very nice, sony 5.1 setup and bluray/xbox 360 and have to admit i do love bluray!

True Daz - The current TV's aren't true 3d as in the Cinema type - That's a year so i was told - Within 5 years you'll be able to buy 3D TV's without the need for glasses - Apparently they have the technology for it but have some issues to resolve before it's market ready...

Did you know Sony have developed a patch for the PS3, enabling 3D playback...!

My mate has just bought a 50+" LED Samsung - OMFG... It's amazing! The picture is out of this world!!
    Last edited by Good 2 B A Gooner; 23rd April 2010 at 17:17.

Yes its diesel, now cry u lost

Status
    its all about LED tvs!! let the 3d tvs over come there problems, coz there bounds to be some.

Now to many mods to list! Lots of power, torque and Leather!