Tax credits overpayment

floyd 1.8 turbo

Mirror, Signal, Outmanoeuvre
Reaction score
I've received a letter from tax credits saying they've overpayed me just over 3 grand and if i dont pay it back in full in 2 weeks they'll take me to court, can they do this or is it just a threat?..Anyone know anything about this???? Its not my fault they overpayed me!

Last edited:
Dont they work the payment amounts out on the info you give them??? Was this over a long time??

I've received a letter from tax credits saying they've overpayed me just over 3 grand and if i dont pay it back in full in 2 weeks they'll take me to court, can they do this or is it just a threat?..Anyone know anything about this???? Its not my fault they overpayed me!

It's happened to me! and to cut a very long story short, I argued the toss and now I'm paying them back £30/mth back over 12 years! they're a bunch of w*nkers! I did ask them not to give me anymore tax credits cos of the hassle, but they insist on carrying on. :motz:

TBH, I have heard of this thing before.

This is why we ring the fookers up if our circumstances change in ANY way, so we are always up to date.

When's the last time you updated your details with them?

They're informed up-to-the second as soon as I know anything myself, so they have no excuse really. I even contacted my local MP to sort it out. But that went down like a sack of spuds! Apparently the best thing to do is don't tell them anything at all! this way the tax people can't get it wrong!

ask them to produce "the note" with your signature on to prove you authorised the payments to you in the 1st place, many people in your position are getting out of paying them anything back by doing just that, its not your fault if they decided to give you gift money.

many people in your position are getting out of paying them anything back by doing just that, its not your fault if they decided to give you gift money.

wow, that could be good for some. Not your fault if uve told them.

This happened to a friend of mine, he totally refused to pay until he was dragged off to court and threatened with a little break at the soap on a rope hotel, needless to say he begrudgingly paid it, but like someone has already said they accepted so much a month for 'x' amount of months.

TBH, I have heard of this thing before.

This is why we ring the fookers up if our circumstances change in ANY way, so we are always up to date.

When's the last time you updated your details with them?

Last time i updated was 11 months ago when i got married as me and the wife had to do a joint claim rather then two seperate ones. Since then nothing has changed. This repayment is based over 5 years though so its a bit complicated. Got loads going on at the minute so dont need this!!

The way i see it is, i filled out an application form completly true and honest and sent my P60 to these idiots, they decieded how much i was entitled to and payed it to me, surely its there mistake??

When my wife started getting tax credits is was about 500 quid a month, for one kid. this went on for ages then a demand for over payment came through. this was a while ago now and we have not heard anything for a long time. if they still want it they can get it for our kid when shes working and can pay it back at 10 quid a month for 360 months.

well if my £4 a month is a overpayment then f them the robbing sods

bah you have just spoiled my day ................