Gym Memberships?

a3_dan

Reaction score
Hi All,

Just wanted to find out how much any of you folks pay for your gym memberships for those of you who go and which gym you're with and whether its worth the money??

I just recently told Fitness First to poke there membership, after 4 years of being a member, I , 1) Had enough of queuing for equipment, 2) Never had a pool and 3) I recently had a fall on their wet unsigned floors, which ticked me off, as no one cared less about it when i complained, so i threw my membership back at them. (I broke my arm some months back, so when I fell, its put me back to square one and now have nerve troubles)

So now im on the hunt for a larger better gym central to london, but with a pool without costing the world!

So, who are you with, how much do you pay and is it good value? Also, what else pains you about your gym?

Dan

Dan, Check out The Gym Group - I use the one in Guilford but they have 5/6 - one of which is in Central London - It's £15 a month without a contract, all new equipment, very clean, etc, etc. They don't have a pool but for the money you'd save (Prob about £30 a month) use a local pool!

Google them mate - I've been using the one in Guildford for about a year now - Though i haven't been in a few months due to work.....

I go to some back street gym, only ever use the running and rowing machines, its £270 a year which is pretty cheap.

I think though when my membership runs out in the next few months ill just invest in a decent running machine Im only really interested in keeping fit and loosing the podge... :)

Dan, Check out The Gym Group - I use the one in Guilford but they have 5/6 - one of which is in Central London - It's £15 a month without a contract, all new equipment, very clean, etc, etc. They don't have a pool but for the money you'd save (Prob about £30 a month) use a local pool!

Google them mate - I've been using the one in Guildford for about a year now - Though i haven't been in a few months due to work.....

I just checked, looks like great value and im pretty certain a new one opened up nearer my house too. So I might try giving them a visit and see what its like.

I go to some back street gym, only ever use the running and rowing machines, its £270 a year which is pretty cheap.

I think though when my membership runs out in the next few months ill just invest in a decent running machine Im only really interested in keeping fit and loosing the podge... :)

I have thought about setting up my own gym at home, you know a few weights and bits, but space is limited as it is already! I have a running machine at mo which rarely gets used!:sorry:

Im getting withdrawals already and need to start gyming it again soon! :weight_lift2:

I find it a ball ache to come home from work, get changed drive across town and attempt to park near the gym, if I had a running machine at home id prolly be on it every day before or after work.

At least if you have a home set up you dont have to listen to pap chart music while running! :)

I find it a ball ache to come home from work, get changed drive across town and attempt to park near the gym, if I had a running machine at home id prolly be on it every day before or after work.

At least if you have a home set up you dont have to listen to pap chart music while running! :)

Can't you drop in on your way home mate? I had a running machine at home, but sold it due to space - I did use it though!

Ever run on the road/park - I enjoy it in the summer but not in the winter.

If i had the space or a garage i'd have a bench, some free wieghts and a running machine.

Ooook, got a quote from Virgin Active today, for access to the Barbican branch in the city and access to my home branch, south london, £79 a month!! Thats crazy prices!!

The hunt continues...

There is a little back street gym im considering to join now, its one of those proper old school gyms, the kind where the men that train there look like they eat metal shavings with their protein mix! :crying:

I'm a member of the Aldershot Garrison gym as it is open to non military. For £22 a month I get a small(ish) gym - only 4 of all the main machines, some limited free classes but the facility I make most use of is an 8 lane 50m pool. If you only want to swim it is £12 a month - absolute bargain for one of the best swimming pools in the whole of the South East & the place where the GB team are going to preparing for the 2012 Olympics.

http://www.aspiredefence.co.uk/pages/aldershot-indoor-facilities/

Last edited:
theres a gym down the road from me thats part of a chain (cant remember the name) its only a tenner a month,but its completley no frills

nuffield health costing me 290 year but restricted times (8-5) as on offshore rate. think normal rate is around 600, but very good gym, pool, health suite etc etc

I just signed up to la fitness, it's two mins from my work in town and has a pool. Sorted out a corporate membership through work in the end, £38 a month!! Not bad huh!