Any terminal server experts??

Drystone

Reaction score
I've set up a Windows 2000 terminal server at work to allow staff to work remotely more effectively. Problem is if the users aren't, as a minimum, Power Users they can't use a certain legacy application that we run. Unfortunately though Power Users also have the ability to shut the server down when ending a session, not an ideal situation!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

How can I tailor the permissions so that users can setup and use applications that they need but can't shut the server down or mess about with other important settings?

Cheers,

Christian

Hi Christian,

You should be able to do it by using the local security policy on the server. Open the Local Security Policy from Admin tools, then click on Local Policies, user rights assignment. In the right hand side of the window you will see a list of policies and who has that right, look towards the bottom of the list and you will see the entry for "Shut Down the System" right click on it and remove the "Power Users" right to shut down the system, leaving just administrators.

That should sort it for you.

Cheers,

Jon.

Done it!!

Thanks Jon, I assume the invoice for consultancy will be in the post. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Hopefully see you on Sunday, if Al decides to go down to Santa Pod. He's in two minds at the moment.

Thanks again,

Christian