Anyone know the cost of boiling water with a kettle?

jojo

Looking for Boost!
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.audi-sport.net
I'm curious. Does anyone know the approx. cost of boiling, lets say 2L of water with an electric kettle?

I don't need it to be exact, just an approx. figure, so no quadratic equations or whatever please. lol

A 3kw kettle running for an hour with 'leccy at say 13p / unit will cost 39p/hr to run. Say the kettle takes 3 mins to boil, then it will cost 3/60 x 39p or about 2p

Last edited:
2p, is that it? Damn staff at work are caning the kettle, boiling 2L of water to make 1 cup of Tea, so I had a moan at them, but I guess it all adds up in the long run.

Cheers.

You can take a tiny bit of consolation from the fact that the unused heated water will be heating the surrounding air as it cools, thereby saving your central heating a little. It's less efficient than the heating but still :shrug:

You can take a tiny bit of consolation from the fact that the unused heated water will be heating the surrounding air as it cools, thereby saving your central heating a little. It's less efficient than the heating but still :shrug:

In an open kitchen full of woks and deep fat fryers?

Get a bigger kettle then! :icon_thumright:

The ones where you have to plug into a ciggy lighter to use - GENIUS! Just send them outside and say to them, "boil the water with your car mofo's" :)

I didn't even think of that! Good call that man, go and use your own leccy bitches!

I ment one of those teeny tiny plasticy jobbies you get in cheap hotels...

The comments in this thread are so funny, brought a grin to my chops. :icon_thumright:

You need one of these

http://www.theowl.com/

Ours uses about 20p per hour whilst it is on - obviously it only takes 2mins to boil but you can work it out from there. Quite interesting to see what other stuff in the house eats up the juice

You need one of these

http://www.theowl.com/

Ours uses about 20p per hour whilst it is on - obviously it only takes 2mins to boil but you can work it out from there. Quite interesting to see what other stuff in the house eats up the juice

Aren't British Gas now supplying something similar for free to their customers. I've asked for one, but it's yet to arrive, did get a CO detector istead though for some reason. not so good at saving me money, but then could possibly save my life i suppose. Ah well, swings and roundabouts!

That kettles a great idea, my brother is a royal PITA like your workers mate, we have one of those Brita Acclario filter ones & have to say its ****** fantastic man, tried new ones & they're *****, but point is he fills the poxy thing up & makes one cuppa, keep saying the same thing to him, next time I'll stick him inside the ****** thing & boil him for 2 minutes if he doesnt listen, I mean 3kw number of times a day we make tea adds up I tell yer.

Also reason why so conscious of the cost if we actually have one of those Owl power cost checkers rigged in & I can see when something comes on how the cost spirals & the kettle especially just jumps from 6p an hour to 30p+, as they say every little helps.

Good thing is the kettle makes a fantastic cuppa with filtered water & ****** quick aswell, lmfao, so tbh overall I'd prefer a nice cuppa over the extra 2p I think.

Hey Dan, hows things?

Water's got to be pennies aswell methinks, so say 5p per 2L kettle boiled up wouldn't be far off, it all adds up though......

Not too bad Joe, just the usual work work work. You know the score.

Hope your business is doing well.

Regards,

Dan.

Not too bad Joe, just the usual work work work. You know the score.

Hope your business is doing well.

Regards,

Dan.

Good stuff, I'm not too bad neither, just putting implementing some economy/energy savings into my business, like switching things off earlier, or reducing usage of certain equipment. etc. :)

Hi Jo, if the gas burners are always on, why don't you buy a stainless steel kettle? then you'll defo save some pennies.