Laminate/wood flooring

floyd 1.8 turbo

Mirror, Signal, Outmanoeuvre
Reaction score
Does anyone have any recommendations of where to get decent but cheap wood flooring? I've just bought my first house so as money is tight i need something cheap but not crap, think laminate will be the way forward as wood is more expensive i believe??
By the way, looked on ebay but dont really trust it that much!!
Cheers

Floors To Go are a national chain and there is probably one near you, they usually have some good offers on discontinued stock.

If you have wooden floor boards hire a floor sander and clean them up then seal them with a satin varnish. There is no substitute for original wooden floorboards if you do it right, its hard work but worth it.

(When we did ours we removed the existing floorboards and decked it out before relaying the boards, the old joists were burned so I asked the neighbour when the house caught fire. He replied that it was 1943 and a German incendary bomb went through the roof).

laminate is good to clean but fecking freezing on your feet , Im ripping it up and sticking to carpet , comfort over look's for me !!

We did our full house about 2 years with laminate with the exception of the the dining room. Idea was with a couple of kids and 2 dogs it would be easy to keep clean. 2 years on it was a bad move, it is freezing to walk on, you brush it and wash it and 1 hour later it is manky again. Room by room it is getting ripped up and carpets put back down.

I only have the downstairs with floorboards, carpet from the stairway upwards! I agree with the comments above though, wish I still have carpets, especially in this weather, but the original carpet was ruined by carpet spills from junior.

We've got laminate in our flat now but will shortly (fingers crossed everything goes through ok) be completing the purchase of our first house. We've got a 6 year old, 20 month old and another due in 3 weeks...i know...were mental!! So spill's and stain's are a regular thing thats why i'm thinking of going down the wood road. It's easier than carpet to keep stain free.
Only the front room will be done with this, the dining table will be in this room so to have wood there makes sense to me as kids are kids and always spill drinks etc, the living room part of the room will have a massive rug so we'll still get the benefits of carpet, sounds good to me, any comment's?
Being our first house we want it perfect so need opinion's/suggestion's please

Have a look at Flotex carpet, stain resistant and easy to clean.

Not cheap though.

TBH, laminate flooring isn't that bad. Yeah, it shows up dirt but then it's easier to keep looking clean than carpet which holds onto it's dirt. We just run the hoover over it every couple of days and mop it maybe once a week. And as for cold - ever tried walking on tiles?!?! Laminte doesn't even compare!

Personally I hate laminate flooring, I much prefer solid wood floors, they look and feel a world apart from laminate, as much as people claim, there is no substitute to real wood. However, it's not cheap, and it is a royal pain the backside to lay properly.

B&Q are actually very good these days, especially if you hang about and wait for one of their discount weekends. If you want good service though, i'd try and find a local independant shop, quite often they have better quality products, and can offer a fitting service (of you're not that way inclined), downside is generally you may a bit of a premium.

We've had laminate for nearly 3 years now and its been fine, was only cheapo as well. For me and my clan a much better option than carpet. Real wood would be nice but were on quite a tight budget, 3 bed house needs new bathroom, new flooring throughout and completly re-decorating so we've got to watch the pennies!!