Dripping water.... how much is it going to cost??

Ads

ASN Veteran
Reaction score
Website
www.aythreee.com
Bit of a nightmare day. Just installed a new washer dryer and after turning back on my water supply I noticed the stopcock was dripping, so guessing a washer or something has gone.
The stopcock looks ancient so I reckon it's going to be a replacement job.

Just wondering if anybody knows what the 'ball park' figure would be for a plumber to do such a job?? I haven't got a clue.

Not expecting an amount specific to this job, but just want to be armed with a few prices for similar size jobs when I start calling around for quotes.

Cheers guys.

You'll be talking min £50 for a plumber, or anything from £2 to £15 to do it yourself - and that would include replacing the whole valve........ if you knew what you were doing.

anything from £2 to £15 to do it yourself - and that would include replacing the whole valve........ if you knew what you were doing.

Thought about chancing it but decided against it. Someone lives below me and I don't really want to risk damaging their property any further. The dripping has already stained their kitchen ceiling!

Where on the ball **** is it leaking? At the bottom of the tap or where it joins the pipe?
If its at the bottom of the tap its held in place with a nut, you should be able to remove the nut and pack down around the shaft of the tap with PTFE tape.
If its where its attached to the pipe then you will need to isolate the water supply at a point before your stopcock before undoing it. You might find that the stopcock is fixed to a lead pipe one end and a copper pipe the other end. If this is the case you will need a "Leadlock" to attached your new stopcock to the lead pipe, its best left to someone who knows what they are doing if you need a leadlock.

The new stopcock is around a fiver, roll of PTFE tape about a quid. A Plumber in London will cost you around £130 to do the job.
When you call them, give them as much detail as you can, if they are charging by the hour expect them to "not have the right tap" with them so they have to go out and get one.
Try and get a fixed price if you can.

Where on the ball **** is it leaking? At the bottom of the tap or where it joins the pipe?
If its at the bottom of the tap its held in place with a nut, you should be able to remove the nut and pack down around the shaft of the tap with PTFE tape.
If its where its attached to the pipe then you will need to isolate the water supply at a point before your stopcock before undoing it. You might find that the stopcock is fixed to a lead pipe one end and a copper pipe the other end. If this is the case you will need a "Leadlock" to attached your new stopcock to the lead pipe, its best left to someone who knows what they are doing if you need a leadlock.

The new stopcock is around a fiver, roll of PTFE tape about a quid. A Plumber in London will cost you around £130 to do the job.
When you call them, give them as much detail as you can, if they are charging by the hour expect them to "not have the right tap" with them so they have to go out and get one.
Try and get a fixed price if you can.

Very usual info, thanks mate.
Looks like its leaking from the base of the tap. In fact I'm pretty sure it is, because the leak seems to quicken/lessen when opening and closing the tap.
The leak is at it's worse (eg. two drips every second) when the tap is fully shut AND fully open.
When I twist the tap somewhere half way between open and shut you can't see a drip but the pint glass I positioned under it still collected about a quarter of a pint of water overnight.

I would have a go at it myself if there wasn't someone living below me, but I think I'll just pay a pro to come and do it for me, to be safe!
Can't help but see visions of........................

geyserpark.jpg

are we talking the main stopcock here or a in line one on one of the pipes ??? If its the main one then there is normally a nut you can tighten where the shaft cmes out, do this when the stopcock is open.

If its a inline one isolate the water and change it, the inline ones are only a few quid just use 2 spanners to tighten the new one onto the olives 5 min job

are we talking the main stopcock here or a in line one on one of the pipes ??? If its the main one then there is normally a nut you can tighten where the shaft cmes out, do this when the stopcock is open.

If its a inline one isolate the water and change it, the inline ones are only a few quid just use 2 spanners to tighten the new one onto the olives 5 min job

It's an in line one, found on one of the pipes. When I turn it off it stops all of the water in my flat, apart from the cold water in the bathroom (i'm guessing that's because the cold water to the bathroom comes from a tank in the loft?!?!)

Sounds like its the main cold water stopcock for your flat. You will need to locate the stopcock for the building before changing it.
The cold water is usually fed from a tank, but the tank is fed from the same stopcock that is leaking.

Why not just take a pic & show us then people can advise best for you mate.

Thanks guys, all sorted now.
Plumber came round, repacked the tap (he advised not to swap for new as it is on a lead pipe, also turning off water for entire building could cause more problems throughout).
Did a few other bits and pieces which needed doing i.e. capped off hot water feed for washing machine, replaced broken cold feed tap, installed new washing machine properly as I couldn't gain access to pipes, adjusted positions of a couple of pipes.
All is fine now. Don't think he charged too much either.

"repacked the tap"

Ahem.... "you should be able to remove the nut and pack down around the shaft of the tap with PTFE tape".

Glad you got sorted. Its always best to get the professionals in if you are uncertain :icon_thumright:

If anyone is in the Midlands and needs assistance, let me know.

"repacked the tap"

Ahem.... "you should be able to remove the nut and pack down around the shaft of the tap with PTFE tape".

Glad you got sorted. Its always best to get the professionals in if you are uncertain :icon_thumright:

If anyone is in the Midlands and needs assistance, let me know.

Haha... yep, you were spot on! He even mentioned other things you mentioned, such as "Leadlock".
You knows your stuff! :yes:
Thanks again. It was good to have those bits of knowledge in case he tried to rip me off.

No worries, don't hesitate to ask if you have any futher questions in future. Same goes for anyone else on here. If its building (or Gun:laugh:) related I can usually give you the answer.

Leadlock. Its extremely difficult to fix a brass stopcock direct to the lead pipe. The leadlock screws onto the end of the lead pipe and has a fitting the other end to fit the stopcock to.