Badger5Volks Autos
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Ads
    Ads's Avatar
    License to drive

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    8,223

    Dripping water.... how much is it going to cost??

    Bit of a nightmare day. Just installed a new washer dryer and after turning back on my water supply I noticed the stopcock was dripping, so guessing a washer or something has gone.
    The stopcock looks ancient so I reckon it's going to be a replacement job.

    Just wondering if anybody knows what the 'ball park' figure would be for a plumber to do such a job?? I haven't got a clue.

    Not expecting an amount specific to this job, but just want to be armed with a few prices for similar size jobs when I start calling around for quotes.

    Cheers guys.

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Global
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    Richardesty's Avatar
    loves quattro

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Louth
    Posts
    753
    You'll be talking min 50 for a plumber, or anything from 2 to 15 to do it yourself - and that would include replacing the whole valve........ if you knew what you were doing.

  4. #3
    Ads
    Ads's Avatar
    License to drive

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    8,223
    Quote Originally Posted by Richardesty View Post
    anything from 2 to 15 to do it yourself - and that would include replacing the whole valve........ if you knew what you were doing.
    Thought about chancing it but decided against it. Someone lives below me and I don't really want to risk damaging their property any further. The dripping has already stained their kitchen ceiling!

  5. #4
    denzelburner's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Devon
    Posts
    166
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten

    2000 B5 2.5tdi V6 (if only it were a quattro)

  6. #5
    sidibear's Avatar
    Looking for Zombies !!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Birmingham UK
    Posts
    2,003
    Where on the ball cock is it leaking? At the bottom of the tap or where it joins the pipe?
    If its at the bottom of the tap its held in place with a nut, you should be able to remove the nut and pack down around the shaft of the tap with PTFE tape.
    If its where its attached to the pipe then you will need to isolate the water supply at a point before your stopcock before undoing it. You might find that the stopcock is fixed to a lead pipe one end and a copper pipe the other end. If this is the case you will need a "Leadlock" to attached your new stopcock to the lead pipe, its best left to someone who knows what they are doing if you need a leadlock.

    The new stopcock is around a fiver, roll of PTFE tape about a quid. A Plumber in London will cost you around 130 to do the job.
    When you call them, give them as much detail as you can, if they are charging by the hour expect them to "not have the right tap" with them so they have to go out and get one.
    Try and get a fixed price if you can.

    JSD 2.59
    Synergy-Solutions

  7. #6
    Ads
    Ads's Avatar
    License to drive

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    8,223
    Quote Originally Posted by sidibear View Post
    Where on the ball cock is it leaking? At the bottom of the tap or where it joins the pipe?
    If its at the bottom of the tap its held in place with a nut, you should be able to remove the nut and pack down around the shaft of the tap with PTFE tape.
    If its where its attached to the pipe then you will need to isolate the water supply at a point before your stopcock before undoing it. You might find that the stopcock is fixed to a lead pipe one end and a copper pipe the other end. If this is the case you will need a "Leadlock" to attached your new stopcock to the lead pipe, its best left to someone who knows what they are doing if you need a leadlock.

    The new stopcock is around a fiver, roll of PTFE tape about a quid. A Plumber in London will cost you around 130 to do the job.
    When you call them, give them as much detail as you can, if they are charging by the hour expect them to "not have the right tap" with them so they have to go out and get one.
    Try and get a fixed price if you can.
    Very usual info, thanks mate.
    Looks like its leaking from the base of the tap. In fact I'm pretty sure it is, because the leak seems to quicken/lessen when opening and closing the tap.
    The leak is at it's worse (eg. two drips every second) when the tap is fully shut AND fully open.
    When I twist the tap somewhere half way between open and shut you can't see a drip but the pint glass I positioned under it still collected about a quarter of a pint of water overnight.

    I would have a go at it myself if there wasn't someone living below me, but I think I'll just pay a pro to come and do it for me, to be safe!
    Can't help but see visions of........................


  8. #7
    fingermouse's Avatar
    thats me

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    west yorkshire
    Posts
    3,762
    are we talking the main stopcock here or a in line one on one of the pipes ??? If its the main one then there is normally a nut you can tighten where the shaft cmes out, do this when the stopcock is open.

    If its a inline one isolate the water and change it, the inline ones are only a few quid just use 2 spanners to tighten the new one onto the olives 5 min job
    red to red black to black blue to bits

  9. #8
    Ads
    Ads's Avatar
    License to drive

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    8,223
    Quote Originally Posted by fingermouse View Post
    are we talking the main stopcock here or a in line one on one of the pipes ??? If its the main one then there is normally a nut you can tighten where the shaft cmes out, do this when the stopcock is open.

    If its a inline one isolate the water and change it, the inline ones are only a few quid just use 2 spanners to tighten the new one onto the olives 5 min job
    It's an in line one, found on one of the pipes. When I turn it off it stops all of the water in my flat, apart from the cold water in the bathroom (i'm guessing that's because the cold water to the bathroom comes from a tank in the loft?!?!)

  10. #9
    sidibear's Avatar
    Looking for Zombies !!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Birmingham UK
    Posts
    2,003
    Sounds like its the main cold water stopcock for your flat. You will need to locate the stopcock for the building before changing it.
    The cold water is usually fed from a tank, but the tank is fed from the same stopcock that is leaking.

    JSD 2.59
    Synergy-Solutions

  11. #10
    fingermouse's Avatar
    thats me

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    west yorkshire
    Posts
    3,762
    Are we talking one that shuts off with a 90 deg turn or one like a old style tap that you screw in / out
    red to red black to black blue to bits

  12. #11
    NHN
    NHN's Avatar
    Modmetractor

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Coding Something
    Posts
    27,102
    Why not just take a pic & show us then people can advise best for you mate.

    OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

    PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

  13. #12
    Ads
    Ads's Avatar
    License to drive

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    8,223
    Thanks guys, all sorted now.
    Plumber came round, repacked the tap (he advised not to swap for new as it is on a lead pipe, also turning off water for entire building could cause more problems throughout).
    Did a few other bits and pieces which needed doing i.e. capped off hot water feed for washing machine, replaced broken cold feed tap, installed new washing machine properly as I couldn't gain access to pipes, adjusted positions of a couple of pipes.
    All is fine now. Don't think he charged too much either.

  14. #13
    sidibear's Avatar
    Looking for Zombies !!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Birmingham UK
    Posts
    2,003
    "repacked the tap"

    Ahem.... "you should be able to remove the nut and pack down around the shaft of the tap with PTFE tape".

    Glad you got sorted. Its always best to get the professionals in if you are uncertain

    If anyone is in the Midlands and needs assistance, let me know.

    JSD 2.59
    Synergy-Solutions

  15. #14
    Ads
    Ads's Avatar
    License to drive

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    8,223
    Quote Originally Posted by sidibear View Post
    "repacked the tap"

    Ahem.... "you should be able to remove the nut and pack down around the shaft of the tap with PTFE tape".

    Glad you got sorted. Its always best to get the professionals in if you are uncertain

    If anyone is in the Midlands and needs assistance, let me know.
    Haha... yep, you were spot on! He even mentioned other things you mentioned, such as "Leadlock".
    You knows your stuff!
    Thanks again. It was good to have those bits of knowledge in case he tried to rip me off.

  16. #15
    sidibear's Avatar
    Looking for Zombies !!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Birmingham UK
    Posts
    2,003
    No worries, don't hesitate to ask if you have any futher questions in future. Same goes for anyone else on here. If its building (or Gun) related I can usually give you the answer.

    Leadlock. Its extremely difficult to fix a brass stopcock direct to the lead pipe. The leadlock screws onto the end of the lead pipe and has a fitting the other end to fit the stopcock to.

    JSD 2.59
    Synergy-Solutions

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO