Sky InsuranceChris Nott
Results 1 to 31 of 31
  1. #1
    Ads
    Ads's Avatar
    License to drive

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    8,223

    Hold on.... Is this a new decade or not??

    So is 2010 a new decade, or not?? Apparently not.
    Some say 2011 is the start of the new decade.

    First of all I thought it was a load of rubbish, but now........ well I'm not so sure.

    The argument is..... the first year was 1 AD (as there was no year zero), therefore 10 AD was the last year of the first decade, making 11 AD the first year of the second decade.
    Moving forward 2000 years (or 200 decades) 2011 will be the first year of the next decade.

    Sooooo, that also means 1999 wasn't the end of the 20th century, and 2000 wasn't the beginning of the 21st?!?!?
    ALSO and most shocking, 2000 wasn't the beginning of the new millenium, 2001 was!!!
    We all celebrated one year too early??? WTF!

    Surely this isn't correct. Or is it just me who didn't know?!

    Will someone please have a word with somebody!

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Global
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    mitch78's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    noun: a particular place or position
    Posts
    2,723
    So you're telling us that 1990 was in the '80s?
    Ex 8L S3 driver

    also A3, 320, Golf, Clio, Astra, Focus, Mondeo, Laguna, Escort, Calibra, 220, others and now back to a Focus...

  4. #3
    Ads
    Ads's Avatar
    License to drive

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    8,223
    Quote Originally Posted by mitch78 View Post
    So you're telling us that 1990 was in the '80s?
    Hahahahaahaa. Classic!

    Well, i'm not quite saying that. But I am saying that 1990 was in a different decade to the rest of the 90's, and was in the same decade as 1981-1989.

  5. #4
    fingermouse's Avatar
    thats me

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    west yorkshire
    Posts
    3,762
    0-1 1-2 2-3 3-4 4-5 5-6 6-7 7-8 8-9 9-0 = 10years = 1 decade new one 0-1
    red to red black to black blue to bits

  6. #5
    Ads
    Ads's Avatar
    License to drive

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    8,223
    Quote Originally Posted by fingermouse View Post
    0-1 1-2 2-3 3-4 4-5 5-6 6-7 7-8 8-9 9-0 = 10years = 1 decade new one 0-1
    Yeah that was my argument... first of all.

    But there was no year 0. It started at year 1.
    The conversation went something like this.... "ere, why don't we start using dates for days, months and years? Let's start right away. Today is the 1st of January Year 1."

    Ok, there was no conversation like that, but you get my point.

    So....
    1-1 2-2 3-3 4-4 5-5 6-6 7-7 8-8 9-9 10-10 = 10 years = 1 decade.
    Next decade starts at 11.

  7. #6
    beanoir's Avatar
    Sharpest Tongue in the West

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    51 Degrees North
    Posts
    2,173
    Does this mean Jesus was lying about his age!?
    Porsche Cayman S |Jeep Grand Cherokee|1988 Ford Fiesta XR2

    www.essexdriversclub.com

  8. #7
    Ads
    Ads's Avatar
    License to drive

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    8,223
    Quote Originally Posted by beanoir View Post
    Does this mean Jesus was lying about his age!?
    Haven't even thought about that one yet. Still trying to work out if this little revelation affects MY age in any way!!

  9. #8
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Chelmsford, Essex
    Posts
    456
    So what comes next :- 3 BC, 2BC, 1BC, ?

    Is it 1 AD!

  10. #9
    Ads
    Ads's Avatar
    License to drive

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    8,223
    Quote Originally Posted by IN-A3 View Post
    So what comes next :- 3 BC, 2BC, 1BC, ?

    Is it 1 AD!
    Yep, exactly like that. No year zero.

  11. #10
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Chelmsford, Essex
    Posts
    456
    That means when Jesus had lived for 1 year he had his 2nd birthday. Unlike us when we are 1. kind of make sense as the 1st birthday is the day you are born.

    So that means the first day of this century is 1st of Jan 2001

  12. #11
    Yeee-haw
    Jason's Pong Champion

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    528
    A decade is ten years. It is a relative reference, not an absolute. It can start when you like. A decade can run from 13th Feb 1986 for ten years. Every second is the start of a new decade I guess.

    Simples.

  13. #12
    Staz's Avatar
    is a retronaut

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Bristol (mostly)
    Posts
    6,168
    This whole argument annoyed me at the millennium as people were saying we should have been celebrating a year later. You've answered your own question though buddy, you start counting from zero and not 1.
    8P2 S3

    For advice on Air Con problems please read my FAQs.
    To find ASN members with VCDS check out the MAP.

  14. #13
    Ads
    Ads's Avatar
    License to drive

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    8,223
    Quote Originally Posted by Geordie Mike View Post
    A decade is ten years. It is a relative reference, not an absolute. It can start when you like. A decade can run from 13th Feb 1986 for ten years. Every second is the start of a new decade I guess.

    Simples.
    I see where you are coming from, but it's not really what I'm on about.
    You could also apply the same to a day, month, a single year and century then.

    But for the sake of this argument, let's talk about it in terms of decades as we understand them (or don't understand them).... i.e. have we just entered the 201st decade or not.

  15. #14
    Ads
    Ads's Avatar
    License to drive

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    8,223
    Quote Originally Posted by Staz View Post
    You've answered your own question though buddy, you start counting from zero and not 1.
    You mean from 1 and not 0??

  16. #15
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by aythreee View Post
    I see where you are coming from, but it's not really what I'm on about.
    You could also apply the same to a day, month, a single year and century then.

    But for the sake of this argument, let's talk about it in terms of decades as we understand them (or don't understand them).... i.e. have we just entered the 201st decade or not.
    Geordie Mike is absolutely correct. Per thefreedictionary.com:

    decade (dkd, d-kd)n.
    1.
    A period of ten years.
    2. A group or series of ten.

    So it is any period of 10 years and by convention we use decade to mean a period of 10 years starting at year 0. The 1980's decade is 1980-1989. You are free to use the decade 2005 to 2014 if you prefer.

    Compare that to century:

    . pl. centuries 1. Abbr. C. or c. or cent.
    a. A period of 100 years.
    b. Each of the successive periods of 100 years before or since the advent of the Christian era.

    As per the above, you could argue that 2000 was either the first or last year of the century. However for millenia, it seems the definition is more formal and that 2000 was the last year of millenium.

    There is a more complete discussion here: http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/millenium.

    Cheers.

  17. #16
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by Staz View Post
    This whole argument annoyed me at the millennium as people were saying we should have been celebrating a year later.
    I celebrated both years, just to be sure.

  18. #17
    Ads
    Ads's Avatar
    License to drive

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    8,223
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatchet View Post
    So it is any period of 10 years and by convention we use decade to mean a period of 10 years starting at year 0.
    There is no year zero. Only 1BC then came 1AD.
    And if what you have posted it correct then the first AD decade only had 9 years.... 1AD to 9AD.

  19. #18
    Yeee-haw
    Jason's Pong Champion

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    528
    The calendar was all mucked around with way back when anyway. I think it was moved forward 11 days in the 1500s in this country when we moved to the Gregorian calendar anyway, but at different times in different countries elsewhere. So what happened way back when is less relevant than the modern understanding anyway I would have thought.

    If you want to be a pedant about it and start at 1, well that was just an arbitrary date anyway. Why is AD the proper place to start? Human history is generally accepted to start with writing, so that is when you should worry about. I think that was ~ 4,000 BC. This could be a complete myth, but have some interpretations of the bible (other religions are available) pinned the creation of Earth down to 4,004 BC? It's the same argument really, just depends when your reference point is. And that is why I don't think it is worth worrying about, for arguments sake.

    And lunchtime is over now too, so back (mainly) to work.

    Mike

  20. #19
    Ads
    Ads's Avatar
    License to drive

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    8,223
    Quote Originally Posted by Geordie Mike View Post
    The calendar was all mucked around with way back when anyway. I think it was moved forward 11 days in the 1500s in this country when we moved to the Gregorian calendar anyway, but at different times in different countries elsewhere. So what happened way back when is less relevant than the modern understanding anyway I would have thought.

    If you want to be a pedant about it and start at 1, well that was just an arbitrary date anyway. Why is AD the proper place to start? Human history is generally accepted to start with writing, so that is when you should worry about. I think that was ~ 4,000 BC. This could be a complete myth, but have some interpretations of the bible (other religions are available) pinned the creation of Earth down to 4,004 BC? It's the same argument really, just depends when your reference point is. And that is why I don't think it is worth worrying about, for arguments sake.

    And lunchtime is over now too, so back (mainly) to work.

    Mike
    Well thanks for clearing that up.

  21. #20
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by aythreee View Post
    There is no year zero. Only 1BC then came 1AD.
    And if what you have posted it correct then the first AD decade only had 9 years.... 1AD to 9AD.
    Feel free to argue with the dictionary if you want.

    The whole point is there was no first, second, third... etc decade. We can group any period of 10 years into a decade. So the 1980's decade does not include 1990 because by convention when we say the 1980s we mean the decade 1980-1989.

  22. #21
    Staz's Avatar
    is a retronaut

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Bristol (mostly)
    Posts
    6,168
    Quote Originally Posted by aythreee View Post
    You mean from 1 and not 0??
    Nope, you START from zero, just like on a stop watch, it's starts at 00.00.00 then a second later it's 00.00.01.
    8P2 S3

    For advice on Air Con problems please read my FAQs.
    To find ASN members with VCDS check out the MAP.

  23. #22
    Ads
    Ads's Avatar
    License to drive

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    8,223
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatchet View Post
    Feel free to argue with the dictionary if you want.
    There'll be no arguement with one dictionary mate, was just trying to discuss with people.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatchet View Post
    The whole point is there was no first, second, third... etc decade. We can group any period of 10 years into a decade. So the 1980's decade does not include 1990 because by convention when we say the 1980s we mean the decade 1980-1989.
    I understand your point, I really do. But I started this thread because 1) I keep seeing references in newspapers etc to the "new decade"; which is the point of this thread, and 2) It was just something to talk about.

  24. #23
    Staz's Avatar
    is a retronaut

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Bristol (mostly)
    Posts
    6,168
    Quote Originally Posted by aythreee View Post
    It was just something to talk about.
    ....instead of working
    8P2 S3

    For advice on Air Con problems please read my FAQs.
    To find ASN members with VCDS check out the MAP.

  25. #24
    Ads
    Ads's Avatar
    License to drive

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    8,223
    Quote Originally Posted by Staz View Post
    Nope, you START from zero, just like on a stop watch, it's starts at 00.00.00 then a second later it's 00.00.01.
    Dunno about that one. You start from zero even though there was NO year zero?
    The years as we know them started from 1, so surely you start counting from 1.
    Start from 1AD... and a year later it's 2AD.

  26. #25
    Ads
    Ads's Avatar
    License to drive

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    8,223
    Quote Originally Posted by Staz View Post
    ....instead of working
    I'm on lunch.......... again

  27. #26
    Staz's Avatar
    is a retronaut

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Bristol (mostly)
    Posts
    6,168
    Quote Originally Posted by aythreee View Post
    Dunno about that one. You start from zero even though there was NO year zero?
    The years as we know them started from 1, so surely you start counting from 1.
    Start from 1AD... and a year later it's 2AD.
    Who says we started at year 1? We might have started halfway through a year or whenever as no one knows for sure, and it's all arbitrary anyway as Mike said. The point of the celebration is the end of the (effectively made-up) period of 2000 years, which occurs at the end of the 2000th year i.e. 1999.

    Quote Originally Posted by aythreee View Post
    I'm on lunch.......... again
    Yeah yeah!
    8P2 S3

    For advice on Air Con problems please read my FAQs.
    To find ASN members with VCDS check out the MAP.

  28. #27
    Ads
    Ads's Avatar
    License to drive

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    8,223
    Quote Originally Posted by Staz View Post
    Who says we started at year 1?
    The geezer who made up the Gregorian calendar, which is the calendar we follow.

    Anyway, I'd better do some work.
    I mean... eat some food!

  29. #28
    jojo's Avatar
    S3 Drift King!

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Solihull, Midlands
    Posts
    25,531

    Talking

    Who cares? .... apart from aythreeeeee that is.



    99' Audi S3(APY) - Brilliant Black Click>>>Going Sideways vid!
    You've got to have a laugh! For Sale:LCR Brakes - £400



  30. #29
    Ads
    Ads's Avatar
    License to drive

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    8,223
    Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Who cares? .... apart from aythreeeeee that is.
    You care. I bet it's taken you a day to get involved because you've been wikipedia'ing it to death!

  31. #30
    jojo's Avatar
    S3 Drift King!

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Solihull, Midlands
    Posts
    25,531
    Quote Originally Posted by aythreee View Post
    You care. I bet it's taken you a day to get involved because you've been wikipedia'ing it to death!
    Nah, Facebook is my new passion.



    99' Audi S3(APY) - Brilliant Black Click>>>Going Sideways vid!
    You've got to have a laugh! For Sale:LCR Brakes - £400



  32. #31
    Ads
    Ads's Avatar
    License to drive

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    8,223
    Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Nah, Facebook is my new passion.
    New?? Facebook is soooo 2009!
    Or would that actually be 2008?!??! Oh I don't know, I'm staying out of it!

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO