Have you had to help anyone in the snow?

jojo

Looking for Boost!
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.audi-sport.net
Just had to a push a LWB Mercedes delivery van up my road, it was a heavy mofo, and I'm knackered! He actually got half way up and then came back down, but by then, he had iced the whol road up with wheelspin, he couldn't move an inch!

Well, this isn't a story of helping someone this mornin, but funny none the less.

Coming over a hill on the way to work, still snow everywhere and road still white, I was the only car for miles! Anyway, Landi Defender comes flying up behind me, who is pottering along doing 40 MPH. Starts flashing his lights and gets me to pull over so he can go by. I pull over, he goes belting past in his 'invincible' Land Rover. I carry on pottering along, come round a corner about half a mile on and he's in the hedge. I stopped to make sure he was OK, which he was, laughed at him and then carried on to work with a big smile on my face.

Some people.

Well, this isn't a story of helping someone this mornin, but funny none the less.

Coming over a hill on the way to work, still snow everywhere and road still white, I was the only car for miles! Anyway, Landi Defender comes flying up behind me, who is pottering along doing 40 MPH. Starts flashing his lights and gets me to pull over so he can go by. I pull over, he goes belting past in his 'invincible' Land Rover. I carry on pottering along, come round a corner about half a mile on and he's in the hedge. I stopped to make sure he was OK, which he was, laughed at him and then carried on to work with a big smile on my face.

Some people.

Hmmmmm... you sure?? :think:
I've noticed that you're not averse to a bit of a giggle, and that story seems a little convenient! :detective2: :sly:

Last edited:
Next time I shall take piccies!

EDIT: In addition, why would I bother going to the trouble of writing several sentances for no reason? Convienient, maybe, but you aren't familliar with the state of the roads across the top of the hills round here! The Cotswold roads are notorious for being rubbish, and dangerous in the snow!

Last edited:
Next time I shall take piccies!

Ok mate, I believe you.

Anyway, back to the topic of the thread.......
I was driving home just after midnight of 24th of December. Being xmas eve night/xmas morning the road was very quiet as you can imagine. Anyway, as I approached a junction I noticed what looked like a wooden cart. You know the type of cart that is usually drawn by a few horses. The closer I got to the cart I could see that it was in fact being drawn by some horses, but they were stationary.
I slowed down as I passed by and had a good look at the horses because 1) I like horses, and 2) I don't usually see them on the streets of London.
As I got level with them I noticed what looked like branches growing out of their heads. Thought this was strange so I looked into the cart to ask the owner why his horses were in this condition. As I peered through the cart window I could see a man with snow all over his face. I put this down to the cart not having windows and snow blowing in and settling on his chops.
After squinting I could clearly see this wasn't snow on his face and was in fact his overgrown beard.
I could also see that his clothes were covered in blood. Being London I assumed he had been mugged or attacked, maybe because they wanted his unusual horses with branches growing from their heads.
As I went to ask him how his clothes became totally saturated with blood I noticed there was no blood.... he was just wearing a red outfit.
Realising this geezer wasn't actually in any trouble at all I drove away.

About 10 minutes up the road I had a quick look up at the sky as I though I saw a bit of rain. As I looked up I could've sworn I saw the same man with the big white beard and red outfit flying through the sky in his cart and horses with branches growing from their heads.
I just put it down to tiredness, pulled over and had forty winks.

A true story, honestly. :whistle2:

EDIT: In addition, why would I bother going to the trouble of writing several sentances for no reason? Convienient, maybe, but you aren't familliar with the state of the roads across the top of the hills round here! The Cotswold roads are notorious for being rubbish, and dangerous in the snow!

lol... alright mate. I was just pulling your leg. :friends:

PS: but careful... thou dost protest too much. :happy:

I'm gonna take a pic of where it happened anyway, that road is a nightmare and your get some "colourful" accidents in the summer, let alone the winter.

Anyway, back to the topic, are YOU sure? That sounds a bit convienient. Lol :).

Sure it wasn't the 25th? I'd understand if the old boy was tired after delivering all of those presents. Poor old git, I wonder how old he really is... And health and saftely must be a nightmare for him, wonder if he has to wear a harness in the sleigh and put netting all over the presents in case of one dropping out. Imagine the headlines. "Santa sued for falling gift"... "Santa given life for home invasion"...

****** snow!

And also, you are spot on. I love a bit of a giggle....:jump:

Last edited:
My work is 1 road in and one road out!!! we got snowed in on Tuesday and on Thursday we were helping to push all the cars that were stuck in our car park that is on a hill. Nearly a week on things havent improved and we are on the South Coast... More snow predicted too...

Same here, predicted another 2 or 3 CM tomorrow night. Deep joy. I have terrible trouble getting out of my drive and road, the drive is an uphill slope, followed by about 300 yards more uphill slop to the main road. If I had no Quattro I'd be snookered. Couldn't get out in my old M3 last year, waste of time trying!

Some people.

Is that the norm down in your neck of woods? I'd be pee'd off if someone flashed me to move over in these conditions... cheeky barsteward.
Along the same lines though, I was driving home after work last night, so after 12am, I overtook 2 cars. The roads had a light layer of snow, and people was driving at 5-10mph on a main road, so I overtook them, but safely with indicators blinking... power to 4x4! :racer:

To be fair Jo, yeah. Lot of farms around where I live, and the farmers are mostly arrogant a**holes, and all have too seem to have emergencies to get to!! I had to ditch an old car of mine once because a tractor was coming the other way on a lane and wouldn't stop. Nowhere else but the hedge to go!

Not true of all of them, some are sound, but the ones in landies normally want you out of their way, no matter what speed you're doing.

Helped an elderly couple move their broken down (HEAVY) Volvo out of harms way in an Aldi car park at Scarbrough just before Christmas. Didn't get a thankyou though which was a little disappointing!

Well I went through 4-6 inches on the roads this morning and the Audi was slipping a bit , then realised my front tyres are down a bit probally 1/3 left so not that bad but rears are new so back end was a little twitchy as it had better grip.

Had to help out a lovelly young lady up and down out street today after getting up off nights.

it was my 3 year old daughter on her sledge :)

Yes, lots of people when I've been at work...its annoying how many people dont understand "dont floor it".

Not true of all of them, some are sound, but the ones in landies normally want you out of their way, no matter what speed you're doing.

That's 'cos real farmers can't afford Landies! Gentleman farmer my a**e :whistle2:
Having said that, my girlfriend's dad (cotswold-ish farmer) still drives like his trousers are on fire constantly in his Warrior...
And the tractor...
And the JCB...
And his wife's Mito...

Well you get the idea!