Sofas.... Who do good ones??

Ads

ASN Veteran
Reaction score
Website
www.aythreee.com
I'm in the market for a new sofa and wondering if anybody has any recommendations of retailers.

I've had a look around the usual superstores (DFS, Harveys, Furniture Village) and whilst a lot of the sofas look and feel nice it's hard to gauge the quality or if they will last more than a few months before creaking, falling apart, etc.

Anybody bought a sofa from any of the above? How is it lasting, etc???

Looking to spend somewhere in the region of £500-£1000 (that's probably £1000-£1500 disregarding the January discounts).

Do yourself a massive favour an avoid Harveys. I spent a lot of money when buying my sofa from there and its been no end of trouble. Plus it was 12 weeks late being delivered and then another month for them to send the feet out for it that they forgot to send.

I wouldnt buy a loaf of bread off them, once they have your cash they couldnt care less. I had to get really REALLY shirty with them to even aknowledge there was an issue.

Wasters.

Do yourself a massive favour an avoid Harveys. I spent a lot of money when buying my sofa from there and its been no end of trouble. Plus it was 12 weeks late being delivered and then another month for them to send the feet out for it that they forgot to send.

I wouldnt buy a loaf of bread off them, once they have your cash they couldnt care less. I had to get really REALLY shirty with them to even aknowledge there was an issue.

Wasters.

Seconded.

I actually got ours from DFS, excellent quality, price werent too bad and was prompt and on time as advised.

I'm in the market for a new sofa and wondering if anybody has any recommendations of retailers.

I've had a look around the usual superstores (DFS, Harveys, Furniture Village) and whilst a lot of the sofas look and feel nice it's hard to gauge the quality or if they will last more than a few months before creaking, falling apart, etc.

Anybody bought a sofa from any of the above? How is it lasting, etc???

Looking to spend somewhere in the region of £500-£1000 (that's probably £1000-£1500 disregarding the January discounts).

NEXT mate,Job done!

DFS are v poor compared to how they used to be the sofas now weigh nothing. I go to C Pratts or Barker and Stonehouse for most stuff now. Or find a local small firm that makes them to measure.

Dfs are not that cheap once you pay for a good leather

Have you tried John Lewis or M & S, they might be slighlty higher in price, but the quality and service from both companies is second to none....

Thanks guys. You are all pretty much confirming what I've now heard from other sources............... Harveys are a load of rubbish, mainly because of their shocking delivery times. I'll avoid them then. Cheers.

I've heard that there's not much between the actual quality of Harveys and DFS furniture. Both pretty poor.
Furniture Village is apparently a bit better. True??

I'll have a look into Next, John Lewis and M&S (didn't know M&S they did sofas). Although I thinking the prices might scare me a little.

I would try John Lewis, as they usually have a wide range for you to have a look at in their stores anyways, and the sales woman I spoke to last month was very helpful, telling me which ones was most likely to be in the sales during Jan.

John Lewis are indeed good. Also worth a look are Laura Ashley, my wife has bought both of ours from there.

Furniturw village have cheap stuff and good stuff they have some like DFS and then some like Barker and stonehouse which are v good

With no disrespect to others, you get what you pay for... We've had our M&S sofas for 6 years and they're as they were when we bought them - Not cheap but you get what you pay for...

Friends have had DFS etc, and they look well worn within 2 years, most leather sofa's from cheaper retailers are only part leather!

Good luck with it - I had a nice cheque from the Inland Revenue to pay for them... £6k woooo hoooo - That payed for all our bits in our first home, touch!!

LAURA ASHLEY.... Don't even go there - My wife drags me in their! How fcukin ££££ are they!

Sales are good though, i've just bought an oak media unit for my sky/cinema stuff - They wanted £800 for it originally, but it was reduced to £300, so not so bad in the end....

John Lewis are fantastic also - The best service you'll find imo.

Have heard of Sofa Sofa, sure they had a place in Brum, but then went online.

Has to be John Lewis though mate, as already mentioned, the CS there is brilliant.

Sofa Workshop - http://www.sofaworkshop.com/

Dad's had his from there for 12 years or so, still look and feel great. Not cheap but worth the money IMO. Also when there was a problem, they came out and made alterations to the sofa there and then
which is better service than most I'd bet!
Having said that, our sofa in tha flat is an 8 year old, second hand DFS jobbie, still does the job, but starting to show wear and tear...

I know you said a new sofa but have you considered Ebay? Just type in leather sofa and it brings up umpteen results, if you find one and like it you can rent a van from Enterprise Van Rental for the day for about £30....

I saw some cheap ikea sofas going for £40 for a pair when they should of been about £300, I bought some new covers and rented a van for a couple of hours, in the end came to less than £100 and a few hours work. :)

I know you said a new sofa but have you considered Ebay? Just type in leather sofa and it brings up umpteen results, if you find one and like it you can rent a van from Enterprise Van Rental for the day for about £30....

I saw some cheap ikea sofas going for £40 for a pair when they should of been about £300, I bought some new covers and rented a van for a couple of hours, in the end came to less than £100 and a few hours work. :)

Did have a quick look on ebay (and gumtree) but there were SOOOOO many choices it made it hard to choose.
Also I think with a sofa I'd like to sit/lay/bounce up and down on it before deciding on one, so I'm limiting myself to ones that are on display in a shop.

But I think I might use your van advice when I eventually find a facelift bonnet for sale!!

Mine are from DFS ( towards the top of he range leather sofas mind u )
had them over 3 yrs still as good as new..

Ours are from DFS as well, we got them about 3 years ago just before Boxing Day sales, as was told the prices were the same, and they were, only difference was that before Boxing Day we would only have a 12 week wait and after that it was a 6month wait. The salesman was right and it didnt go down in price, so was pretty pleased with that.

We didnt opt for leather, as we aint really keen on full leather, but we have material and part leather and every single person that has sat/slept on them has said that they are one of the most confortable sofas they have sat on, and I have to agree, they are amazing :)

Right, I've gone for a couple of leather sofas from Furniture Village. A 3-seater and 2-seater.
Next decision.... accidental damage cover or not?
They want £175 for 5 years cover (Guardsman 5 Year Furniture Protection Programme). It covers any accidental damage, offering repair or replacement if repair is not possible.
Sounds good on the face of it, but I'm guessing there are some hidden negatives/get out clauses.

Anybody got any experiences of furniture cover plans....? Good and bad.

With no disrespect to others, you get what you pay for... We've had our M&S sofas for 6 years and they're as they were when we bought them - Not cheap but you get what you pay for...

Silly me for spending a couple of grand on one then...I should have expected it to break fter 6 months I suppose!!!.

I expected my £2000 sofa to last more than half a year....otherwise its £4k a year to sit on a non f*cked sofa....I cant afford that!.

Silly me for spending a couple of grand on one then...I should have expected it to break fter 6 months I suppose!!!.

I expected my £2000 sofa to last more than half a year....otherwise its £4k a year to sit on a non f*cked sofa....I cant afford that!.

Eh...?! That doesn't make any sense!

Got ours from
www.sofasofa.co.uk
we actually went into teh showroom in Brum, but think its been closed. They are still on line. We hada fault with our 3 seater - and it was fixed no questions asked.
Overall its wearing (leather) very well.

I'll support what JoJo said above and say John Lewis, or another good place for sofas is Cargo Homeshop, i've had a pair of leather sofas from there and they are now about 7 years in and the cushions are not sagging etc, which is what happens with the cheaper types.

Oh, and at all cost avoid Ikea!!!

EDIT: Just realised you've bought some already (mental note Nick, READ the thread fully before posting)

Last edited: