Chris NottSky Insurance
Results 1 to 39 of 39
  1. #1
    Caesium's Avatar
    My BM is fixed!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Hertfordshire
    Posts
    4,858

    Religous Tolerance... discuss.

    I just watched Jimmy Carr telling jokes, and he called Jesus a fag, and the Pope the king of the paedos.
    I thought that was hilarious even though it pokes fun at the majority religion in this country, because its a joke and not to be taken seriously.

    Perhaps some should study the concept of a joke, especially those who decide that stoning to death a teacher who called a teddy the wrong name is a suitable punishment, when a punishment isn't necessary at all, let alone stoning.

    Maybe some religions should grow up and be part of the 21st century if they want to be taken seriously.
    If not, then they can live their lives in the 9th century, where they belong.
    Chris

    The problem with common sense, is that its not that common.

    See my images @
    http://www.christianfrench.co.uk

    Own a dreaded BMW? http://www.bmw-sport.net

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Global
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    sidibear's Avatar
    Looking for Zombies !!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Birmingham UK
    Posts
    2,003
    Jimmy Carr is a twat though and will say anything to get a laugh or publicity.

    JSD 2.59
    Synergy-Solutions

  4. #3
    jojo's Avatar
    S3 Drift King!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Solihull, Midlands
    Posts
    25,575
    This thread could potentially end up in tears....

    But to answer your question, I'm not much of a religious man myself, but I think if you have paid to see Jimmy Carr, this is the type of stuff that's going to be spouted out his mouth, and I would probably laugh myself. But to read what he is saying in text, or to put it in the news lets say(which did happen), he was always going to be shot down, regardless if it was a joke or not.



    99' Audi S3(APY) - Brilliant Black Click>>>Going Sideways vid!
    You've got to have a laugh! For Sale:LCR Brakes - £400



  5. #4
    Staz's Avatar
    is a retronaut

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Bristol (mostly)
    Posts
    6,168
    Not wishing to fan the flames but...

    Go to google and type in the following lines one after another to see what auto results you get:

    christianity is
    judaism is
    hinduism is
    mormonism is
    scientology is
    sikhism is
    islam is
    8P2 S3

    For advice on Air Con problems please read my FAQs.
    To find ASN members with VCDS check out the MAP.

  6. #5
    beanoir's Avatar
    Sharpest Tongue in the West

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    51 Degrees North
    Posts
    2,173
    Quote Originally Posted by Staz View Post
    Not wishing to fan the flames but...

    Go to google and type in the following lines one after another to see what auto results you get:

    christianity is
    judaism is
    hinduism is
    mormonism is
    scientology is
    sikhism is
    islam is
    Thats very interesting, i'm sure there is a technical or logical reason behind why that happens, but i'm intrigued to know what it might be.
    Porsche Cayman S |Jeep Grand Cherokee|1988 Ford Fiesta XR2

    www.essexdriversclub.com

  7. #6
    phoenixv6quattro's Avatar
    staylowmovefast

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    wycombe
    Posts
    1,398
    I would rather discuss 101 ways to get cancer.

  8. #7
    voorhees's Avatar
    Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Leafy Warwickshire
    Posts
    14,914
    Quote Originally Posted by phoenixv6quattro View Post
    A true and recognised passport to commit murder. And thats every religion.
    Bhuddism ?

  9. #8
    Caesium's Avatar
    My BM is fixed!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Hertfordshire
    Posts
    4,858
    Quote Originally Posted by phoenixv6quattro View Post
    I would rather discuss 101 ways to get cancer. I despise it. A true and recognised passport to commit murder. And thats every religion.
    did you have to google that conclusion?
    Chris

    The problem with common sense, is that its not that common.

    See my images @
    http://www.christianfrench.co.uk

    Own a dreaded BMW? http://www.bmw-sport.net

  10. #9
    Staz's Avatar
    is a retronaut

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Bristol (mostly)
    Posts
    6,168
    Quote Originally Posted by beanoir View Post
    Thats very interesting, i'm sure there is a technical or logical reason behind why that happens, but i'm intrigued to know what it might be.
    I would assume it's for the very same reasons that Chris started this thread.
    8P2 S3

    For advice on Air Con problems please read my FAQs.
    To find ASN members with VCDS check out the MAP.

  11. #10
    beanoir's Avatar
    Sharpest Tongue in the West

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    51 Degrees North
    Posts
    2,173
    Well I do sympathise with his point, there does seem to be so much paranoia especially when it comes to speaking out about one certain religion, but it's ok to let people of that certain religion speak open and publicly against the country they live in.

    Lets not discuss the march planned in Wooton Basset then....
    Porsche Cayman S |Jeep Grand Cherokee|1988 Ford Fiesta XR2

    www.essexdriversclub.com

  12. #11
    1wheelonly's Avatar
    cabriolet

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    The Lounge
    Posts
    2,062
    religion is not something im into what so ever, therefore obviously my view is each to there own but keep it to them selves and stop spouting and preaching it to everyone else.
    im sick of this country bending over backwards for everyone elses beliefs and religions, havent we gone to far with accomadating for everyone else rather than what great britain once was and what we once stood for?
    you cant and never will please everyone but i feel this country has gone to far and has lost sight of what should be and shouldnt be accepted as a nation !
    what other countries put up with what we put up with ?????
    LOTS DONE, LOTS SPENT !!!!

  13. #12
    phoenixv6quattro's Avatar
    staylowmovefast

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    wycombe
    Posts
    1,398
    Quote Originally Posted by A4Quattro View Post
    did you have to google that conclusion?
    It's not a conclusion. It's an educated opinion. If it were a conclusion it would be a final analysis. As religious issues are an ongoing problem a final conclusion cannot be recognised. And ref google, stop trying to "shine me on" from my one of my previous post responses to you. Your making yourself appear the idiot. A4, have you read, and understood the Holy Bible, and the Qu'ran? If you havn't I suggest you do so as to fully understand the subject matter of the thread you have started.

  14. #13
    phoenixv6quattro's Avatar
    staylowmovefast

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    wycombe
    Posts
    1,398
    Quote Originally Posted by voorhees View Post
    Bhuddism ?
    Thats a valid point mate. Fair play!

  15. #14
    Caesium's Avatar
    My BM is fixed!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Hertfordshire
    Posts
    4,858
    Quote Originally Posted by phoenixv6quattro View Post
    It's not a conclusion. It's an educated opinion. If it were a conclusion it would be a final analysis. As religious issues are an ongoing problem a final conclusion cannot be recognised. And ref google, stop trying to "shine me on" from my one of my previous post responses to you. Your making yourself appear the idiot. A4, have you read, and understood the Holy Bible, and the Qu'ran? If you havn't I suggest you do so as to fully understand the subject matter of the thread you have started.
    Wouldn't you rather go and start a discussion thread about cancer? I thought from one of your earlier posts that you would not be involving yourself in this discussion.
    Yet again I see you are lowering the tone down to inferred personal insults, must you do that to make yourself feel validated?
    Chris

    The problem with common sense, is that its not that common.

    See my images @
    http://www.christianfrench.co.uk

    Own a dreaded BMW? http://www.bmw-sport.net

  16. #15
    phoenixv6quattro's Avatar
    staylowmovefast

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    wycombe
    Posts
    1,398
    A4, If the personal insults(you coined them insults, not me)were not warranted, and not 101% deserved they would not happen. However, how can they actually be personal?? I don't know you and vice versa. I make these insults( as you call them, I call them observations) purely on the the basis of the posts you have made, and those only. Your not doing youself any favours, as a large percentage of what you have written is both un-researched and un-supported by any means of facts.....I.E. Guess work/make-believe.
    Ref me not being available for discussion, that was stated at the end of my last post on a previous thread, once again you stand corrected......I would rather discuss cancer, but that dosn't mean I will not discuss it (neither did I say I wouldn't, on this particular thread), it just means I don't like it. But as all things, they usually turn out to be the most stimulating ones, as it removes one from ones comfort zone('s).
    And......Ref your clumsy attempt at amateur psychology, I would take extra special care to not stumble upon another subject you know very little about. The answer to your question anyway is no. I have 8 medals, a mention in despatches and a degree in protective security to make me feel "validated" (and hell yeah they do!! Lol). Now, stop avoiding the question A4, have you read the Holy Bible and Qu'ran and fully understood them?
    Last edited by phoenixv6quattro; 10th January 2010 at 01:03.

  17. #16
    Caesium's Avatar
    My BM is fixed!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Hertfordshire
    Posts
    4,858
    Oh, silly me!
    I thought implying someone was an idiot by way of their post was an insult, maybe its an endorsement. In which case, thanks very much.

    No, I have not read either of the Holy books you mentioned, neither do I wish to.
    I have never said in any of my posts that anything I have said is fact, its all my own opinion, which I am entitled to.

    This thread has gone well off on a tangent, I originally wanted to discuss perceived tolerance within the boundaries of religion, reading the bible will not really help this discussion as all religion is open to individual interpretation.
    A point in fact would be that I'm sure it does not say anywhere in the Qur'an that stoning a teacher to death for naming a teddy Mohammed or killing a Dutch cartoonist for drawing a picture of him, that is the interpretation of the individuals, albeit a skewed one.
    People in this country are scared of expressing their feelings towards the actions of minority ethnic groups for fear of being called racist or whatever buzz-word is used today.

    I'm glad you saw fit to mention your medals and academic qualifications to back up your statements, I guess you believe that adds some weight to them
    Chris

    The problem with common sense, is that its not that common.

    See my images @
    http://www.christianfrench.co.uk

    Own a dreaded BMW? http://www.bmw-sport.net

  18. #17
    phoenixv6quattro's Avatar
    staylowmovefast

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    wycombe
    Posts
    1,398
    Firstly, no problem, it was my pleasure. Ref my credentials..My dear boy, it adds all the weight they are ever going to need! I am qualified both mentally and practically! I am proud of my achievments, and of the services to my country and in turn myself! So why not mention them! It's funny that most of your posts appear to be written as facts and not your personal opinions. However, you have rectified this by very kindly pointing out that they were all actually your own concoctions, and not indeed anywhere close to facts. Little bit of advice. Before you step up to the plate, make sure you have live ammo, not blank rounds.....No it dosn't mention the attrocities of Christianity or Islam in either book of teachings. BECAUSE THEY WERE WRITTEN 1000's of years ago my old potatoe! Give yourself a pat on the back, at the same time stop being so shallow in your believed findings. If you want to understand religion, let alone start a discussion, have a bit of subject knowledge in the first place. You can do this by reading the aformentioned books. Oh, but you don't want to? Why? Because you don't like religion? THEN WHY START A DISCUSSION ON IT CHRIS? A contradiction is its own right. If you want to understand tolerances or lack of them, stop being so ignorant and read them. It will give you an understanding of where they come from. Basics. Don't try walking before you can crawl. Your trying to change a head gasket before you can change a wheel....(Don't take that literally, as I'm sure you know how...both the wheel and the HG).
    So hows the A4 mate?

  19. #18
    Staz's Avatar
    is a retronaut

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Bristol (mostly)
    Posts
    6,168
    Are you saying I'm not allowed to discuss my feelings on religious intolerances because I haven't read either the Qu'ran or the Bible?
    8P2 S3

    For advice on Air Con problems please read my FAQs.
    To find ASN members with VCDS check out the MAP.

  20. #19
    phoenixv6quattro's Avatar
    staylowmovefast

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    wycombe
    Posts
    1,398
    Staz. My old chap. That is, without a doubt, the most daft thing I have heard all week. So daft in fact, it doesn't deserve a serious response, let alone an answer. Have you had your cup of coffee this morning? Christ!

  21. #20
    mitch78's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    noun: a particular place or position
    Posts
    2,723
    Nowhere in this thread has anyone claimed to be Christ, so what makes you think that asking on here whether he's had a cup of coffee will get a response? I doubt he even drinks the stuff?

    Ex 8L S3 driver

    also A3, 320, Golf, Clio, Astra, Focus, Mondeo, Laguna, Escort, Calibra, 220, others and now back to a Focus...

  22. #21
    Staz's Avatar
    is a retronaut

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Bristol (mostly)
    Posts
    6,168
    Tea for me buddy, got a second one brewing.

    Quote Originally Posted by phoenixv6quattro View Post
    Staz. My old chap. That is, without a doubt, the most daft thing I have heard all week. So daft in fact, it doesn't deserve a serious response, let alone an answer. Have you had your cup of coffee this morning? Christ!
    So how about dignifying my post with either a proper answer or explaining why it's so daft, instead of trying your hardest to make everyone else look stupid while you make yourself look like a jumped up know-it-all ****.

    My question appears perfectly reasonable when you consider this little quote:

    Quote Originally Posted by phoenixv6quattro View Post
    If you want to understand religion, let alone start a discussion, have a bit of subject knowledge in the first place. You can do this by reading the aformentioned books. Oh, but you don't want to? Why? Because you don't like religion? THEN WHY START A DISCUSSION ON IT CHRIS?
    8P2 S3

    For advice on Air Con problems please read my FAQs.
    To find ASN members with VCDS check out the MAP.

  23. #22
    Caesium's Avatar
    My BM is fixed!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Hertfordshire
    Posts
    4,858
    Quote Originally Posted by mitch78 View Post
    Nowhere in this thread has anyone claimed to be Christ, so what makes you think that asking on here whether he's had a cup of coffee will get a response? I doubt he even drinks the stuff?

    I think Christ was rather partial to water, which he turned into vino.... lol
    Chris

    The problem with common sense, is that its not that common.

    See my images @
    http://www.christianfrench.co.uk

    Own a dreaded BMW? http://www.bmw-sport.net

  24. #23
    mitch78's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    noun: a particular place or position
    Posts
    2,723
    Quote Originally Posted by phoenixv6quattro View Post
    It's not a conclusion. It's an educated opinion. If it were a conclusion it would be a final analysis. As religious issues are an ongoing problem a final conclusion cannot be recognised. And ref google, stop trying to "shine me on" from my one of my previous post responses to you. Your making yourself appear the idiot. A4, have you read, and understood the Holy Bible, and the Qu'ran? If you havn't I suggest you do so as to fully understand the subject matter of the thread you have started.
    You do seem to be missing the point of the thread (as I understand it).

    Rather than discussing (and therefore having to understand) the fundamental beliefs of each and every religion, I think it was intended to be a discussion of the levels of tolerance or intolerance of other people's religious beliefs, whatever they happen to be. Anyone can have a very clear and relevant view on that subject, without knowing the details of any religion at all.
    Ex 8L S3 driver

    also A3, 320, Golf, Clio, Astra, Focus, Mondeo, Laguna, Escort, Calibra, 220, others and now back to a Focus...

  25. #24
    Caesium's Avatar
    My BM is fixed!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Hertfordshire
    Posts
    4,858
    Quote Originally Posted by phoenixv6quattro View Post
    Firstly, no problem, it was my pleasure. Ref my credentials..My dear boy, it adds all the weight they are ever going to need! I am qualified both mentally and practically! I am proud of my achievments, and of the services to my country and in turn myself! So why not mention them! It's funny that most of your posts appear to be written as facts and not your personal opinions. However, you have rectified this by very kindly pointing out that they were all actually your own concoctions, and not indeed anywhere close to facts.
    Quote Originally Posted by A4Quattro
    I have never said in any of my posts that anything I have said is fact, its all my own opinion, which I am entitled to.
    Quote Originally Posted by phoenixv6quattro
    Little bit of advice. Before you step up to the plate, make sure you have live ammo, not blank rounds.....No it dosn't mention the attrocities of Christianity or Islam in either book of teachings. BECAUSE THEY WERE WRITTEN 1000's of years ago my old potatoe! Give yourself a pat on the back, at the same time stop being so shallow in your believed findings.
    Isn't religion all based upon beliefs?

    Quote Originally Posted by phoenixv6quattro
    If you want to understand religion, let alone start a discussion, have a bit of subject knowledge in the first place. You can do this by reading the aformentioned books. Oh, but you don't want to? Why? Because you don't like religion? THEN WHY START A DISCUSSION ON IT CHRIS? A contradiction is its own right. If you want to understand tolerances or lack of them, stop being so ignorant and read them. It will give you an understanding of where they come from.
    I don't care much for the religion itself, If minorities want to live and become part of the west's culture then they need to adapt to become part of it, not try and change it to their benefit, for example trying to implement Sharia law in the UK, is that religious tolerance and acceptance of the host's country?
    to me it sounds like a parasitic infection we need to dispatch.

    Quote Originally Posted by phoenixv6quattro
    Basics. Don't try walking before you can crawl. Your trying to change a head gasket before you can change a wheel....(Don't take that literally, as I'm sure you know how...both the wheel and the HG).
    Yes I do know how to change a wheel or a head gasket, I wont mention my credentials to add weight to this statement, I feel the lack of them adds enough gravitas.

    Quote Originally Posted by phoenixv6quattro
    So hows the A4 mate
    Stolen, so no idea.
    Chris

    The problem with common sense, is that its not that common.

    See my images @
    http://www.christianfrench.co.uk

    Own a dreaded BMW? http://www.bmw-sport.net

  26. #25
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Coventry
    Posts
    2,219
    Quote Originally Posted by mitch78 View Post
    Nowhere in this thread has anyone claimed to be Christ, so what makes you think that asking on here whether he's had a cup of coffee will get a response? I doubt he even drinks the stuff?

    Well i beg to differ.I must be Christ.At least a dozen times a day my wife says 'Jesus what the fu*k have you done now!'
    Pass me my sock

    Want to help cure cancer? http://folding.stanford.edu/English/HomePage

  27. #26
    jojo's Avatar
    S3 Drift King!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Solihull, Midlands
    Posts
    25,575



    99' Audi S3(APY) - Brilliant Black Click>>>Going Sideways vid!
    You've got to have a laugh! For Sale:LCR Brakes - £400



  28. #27
    fingermouse's Avatar
    thats me

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    west yorkshire
    Posts
    3,762
    Im a jedi knight .......................... Honest ...........................
    red to red black to black blue to bits

  29. #28
    OEM+

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Grantham, Lincolnshire
    Posts
    93
    I personally think religion is the cause of the majority of the issues in the world today. Yeah I'm sure I'm going to get flamed for it, but can anyone tell me what good religion has done for the world in the last 100 years?

    Most wars that have ever happened will have religion tied up in them somewhere...

    (flame suit on...)
    Ebony Black 2004 A4 Avant 1.9 TDi Sport

  30. #29
    10blazin's Avatar
    HYPERDRIVE NEEDED

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    gorton
    Posts
    3,272
    Quote Originally Posted by Syncopix View Post
    I personally think religion is the cause of the majority of the issues in the world today. Yeah I'm sure I'm going to get flamed for it, but can anyone tell me what good religion has done for the world in the last 100 years?

    Most wars that have ever happened will have religion tied up in them somewhere...

    (flame suit on...)
    I think your wrong its money , greed and land that has been the cause of wars not religeon , thats just a good tool for brainwashing but the truth is if we didnt have religeon we wouldnt be here now there would of been a total breakdown long ago , its religeon that keeps most people from doing bad things , even non believers and athiest ,morals and values from there parents some where down the line stems from religeous rules and value's , they can deni it but its true .

  31. #30
    speedfreek's Avatar
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Luton, Beds
    Posts
    65
    I would never judge someone for their beliefs, no matter how strongly I disagree with them, but in my opinion making jokes about religion is fair game - same as any other subject. At the end of the day, Jimmy Carr is a sodding comedian that you KNOW tells risque jokes - so if you decide to take his jokes seriously and take offence then I suggest comedy isn't really for you. Or if you enjoy comedy but not jokes pointed at religion, then FIND ANOTHER COMEDIAN.
    Mk1 Mazda Eunos Roadster

    Big plans... erm.. planned.

  32. #31
    Welly's Avatar
    VX220 SC Driver :)

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Gloucestershire
    Posts
    10,695
    Quote Originally Posted by speedfreek View Post
    I would never judge someone for their beliefs, no matter how strongly I disagree with them, but in my opinion making jokes about religion is fair game - same as any other subject. At the end of the day, Jimmy Carr is a sodding comedian that you KNOW tells risque jokes - so if you decide to take his jokes seriously and take offence then I suggest comedy isn't really for you. Or if you enjoy comedy but not jokes pointed at religion, then FIND ANOTHER COMEDIAN.
    Agreed, if the topic isn't funny to you, you have to accept that and make you judgment based on that. Either you stay, or you get up and leave. Or change channel.

    I shouldn't worry anyway, it won't be too long before making any form of joke about any religion, in good spirits or not, will result in you being dragged off in a jam sandwich van and gets you banged up. Thats not just the case with religion either to be fair, many topics have now become so taboo that people won't even offer an opinion on them. This is annoying to me, because this is, as far as I'm concerned, free speech. It's what a large number of family dies in WW2 fighting to protect.

    Sad, but free speech isn't what it once was in this country. I find myself watching what I say all the time these days, in case someone finds it offensive and complains.

    Baa baa 'rainbow' sheep springs to mind.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Marriage is like a coffin and each kid is another nail."
    Homer Simpson





  33. #32
    speedfreek's Avatar
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Luton, Beds
    Posts
    65
    Welly, it's the same with racism... jeebus cripes it boils my pee.

    How is calling a blackboard a 'chalk' board less racist? It is f**king black!!!!! Calling it a different name just implies that it was racially offensive in the first place. Which of course, it is most definately not.
    Mk1 Mazda Eunos Roadster

    Big plans... erm.. planned.

  34. #33
    Welly's Avatar
    VX220 SC Driver :)

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Gloucestershire
    Posts
    10,695
    Quote Originally Posted by speedfreek View Post
    Welly, it's the same with racism... jeebus cripes it boils my pee.

    How is calling a blackboard a 'chalk' board less racist? It is f**king black!!!!! Calling it a different name just implies that it was racially offensive in the first place. Which of course, it is most definately not.
    Yep, racism is the other one. I heard a ridiculous story about how Snooker & Pool are racist games because the white ball hits the black ball around.

    THEY ARE COLOURS! I don't hear people who have been out on holiday and have been in the sun for too long (and have consequently gone red) complaining that they are offended by Snooker as the white ball hits the red ball around. Utterly ludicrous.

    That story mentioned before about the teacher with the Teddy named 'Jesus' getting fired boils my blood. I do a lot of work for a primary school, and knows how much the teachers love the kids. For that sort of thing to be allowed to happen is awful.

    Imagine going to Egypt for example and telling them that we won't conform to their religious beliefs, as happens to us in this county. See how long it takes you to end up in jail then!

    Anyway, this is simply my opinion at the end of the day. I just think it's a shame the the country has gone 'Political Correctness' mad.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Marriage is like a coffin and each kid is another nail."
    Homer Simpson





  35. #34
    Ads
    Ads's Avatar
    License to drive

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    8,223
    Yep, it's very stupid having to refer to things which are black as something else. Some London councils told their employees to refer to black bin bags as refuse sacks! Pathetic.
    There is nothing wrong with referring to a person who is of black origin as "black", so there shouldn't be anything wrong with calling a black object "black" either. "Black" is not a derogatory term.

    One thing I don't always like is when a person is referred to as black (or any other race) in a general statement when there is no real need. For example...... I was walking up the street and this black bloke dropped his wallet so I told him and he was very grateful.
    A guy at work does this. He always includes the person's colour EXCEPT when that person is white.
    He never says anything negative but I always wonder why he feels the need to point out colour when the person is anything but white.
    That doesn't make him racist though.


    The example of snooker and pool... I've heard that one before too. But I'm not sure how true that is though. I've seen it many times in "Black" films and comedy sketches, outlining how stupid the idea is.

    I think the problem is that everyone is now over-compensating or being forced to over-compensate for the racism or racial comments of those who made them when it was more common twenty odd years ago. (And believe me, as a non-white, back then it was pretty hard to get through a day without colour being used against me in some sort of negative way)
    It's how things are.... something happens and then everyone gets told to, or feels that they should do the total opposite, often going too far the other way, just to make sure that they are not seen as being a racist/sexist/etc.
    e.g.... In a conversation where there is mention of black/asian/etc.... many many many times you will hear (or at least I have heard) the statement "..I haven't got a problem with them cos I've got loads of black/asian/etc friends".
    It's like people are feeling forced to prove they aren't prejudice in any way.

    A time when I sometimes feel forced into being a certain way is because of this this explosion of paedos being everywhere. Now there are times when I find myself trying not to even glance at an under aged girl (school girl) on the bus just in case someone says/thinks something stupid. I don't always feel like that, but it has happened.

    What I also find totally unfair and wrong is the way it is ok for people of any non-white race to say pretty much what they like about white people, especially on TV, in comedy, and in films.
    Example.... the film White Chicks. Can you imagine if there was a film based on a couple of white guys "blacking-up" and calling it Black Chicks. All hell would break lose.
    Chris Rock (as much as I like him) based much of his comedy on taking the mickey out of white people, and everybody loved him.. black and white. But take someone like Bernard Manning (as much as I hated him) and he was seen as a fat racist idiot.

    All of these are sad situations, but sadly it's how things are for the foreseeable future.
    Last edited by Ads; 11th January 2010 at 15:47.

  36. #35
    Welly's Avatar
    VX220 SC Driver :)

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Gloucestershire
    Posts
    10,695
    Excellent post Aythreee. I agree in every aspect. It's nice to know that there are still sane people out there.

    I worry what the world will be like for my daughter in 10 years time growing up as a teenager, and then in 20/30/40 years time.

    EDIT: How long did that take you to write? You must be as busy as I am today....
    Last edited by Welly; 11th January 2010 at 16:07.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Marriage is like a coffin and each kid is another nail."
    Homer Simpson





  37. #36
    Ads
    Ads's Avatar
    License to drive

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    8,223
    Quote Originally Posted by Welly View Post
    EDIT: How long did that take you to write? You must be as busy as I am today....
    Oh yes, I'm REAL busy today!
    Just not with the right things..

    And it took twice as long to write it as it should've because my colleagues thought it was a good time to keep walking past my desk!
    I actually felt annoyed with them for walking around the office doing their work and stopping me from typing on here!
    Even as I type this there are two of 'em having a conversation behind me. GET LOST AND DO WHAT YOU ARE GETTING PAID FOR ELSEWHERE AND LET ME GET ON WITH MY SKIVING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  38. #37
    Welly's Avatar
    VX220 SC Driver :)

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Gloucestershire
    Posts
    10,695
    Quote Originally Posted by aythreee View Post
    GET LOST AND DO WHAT YOU ARE GETTING PAID FOR ELSEWHERE AND LET ME GET ON WITH MY SKIVING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I've just had the WHOLE office look at me because of how much that made me laugh! Whoops. Ah well.

    I'm supposed to be managing the network here... Still, having broadnband issues today so I consider this to be 'testing the broadband.'

    Quote Originally Posted by aythreee View Post
    And it took twice as long to write it as it should've because my colleagues thought it was a good time to keep walking past my desk!
    My normal problem is pressing the backspace button by accident which always causes the browser to go back a page, losing whatever I've written. Now that is annoying!!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Marriage is like a coffin and each kid is another nail."
    Homer Simpson





  39. #38
    Caesium's Avatar
    My BM is fixed!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Hertfordshire
    Posts
    4,858
    Quote Originally Posted by Welly View Post
    My normal problem is pressing the backspace button by accident which always causes the browser to go back a page, losing whatever I've written. Now that is annoying!!
    Yup know that one.
    Chris

    The problem with common sense, is that its not that common.

    See my images @
    http://www.christianfrench.co.uk

    Own a dreaded BMW? http://www.bmw-sport.net

  40. #39
    Ads
    Ads's Avatar
    License to drive

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    8,223
    Quote Originally Posted by Welly View Post
    My normal problem is pressing the backspace button by accident which always causes the browser to go back a page, losing whatever I've written. Now that is annoying!!
    Haha... I know that one well mate, I know it well!

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO