better headlights!

I

imported_pete1980

Hi

I have noticed some cars around that have these very bright white headlights that look a bit blue. I talked to Audi and they told me it would cost about £2000 for these!!

After spraying my drink all across the room i searched the net and found some bulbs at www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk

Has anyone tried any of these bulbs as they are a lot cheaper than Audi quoted!

cheers

u can get 100w bulbs, with a blue tint to them. they are illegal, but hey, i aint gonna tell.

Welcome on board Peter. I think a lot of the blue/whiter filament bulbs are legal now. IMHO some of then look quite good, a whiter bulb without obviously looking blue. Opinions may vary though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

They aren't the same thing the super white setup Audi quoted £2000 for. Assuming I've got you correct, the lights you're referring to are HID, gas discharge. They work on a completely different principle to normal filament bulbs. Khufu has successfully retro-fitted a set to his A3 for a lot less than £2000. Depending on the car, it can be done. The site you quote do conversions, but I don't know how good they are.

BTW, remember that "Xenon" is often used to desribe HID lights, but they are not the same as "Xenon" filament bulbs.

[ QUOTE ]
pimpmyaudi said:
u can get 100w bulbs, with a blue tint to them. they are illegal, but hey, i aint gonna tell.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes you can...but bear in mind that the beam pattern produced is often not correct due to the higher wattage, and so it'll fail the MOT.

...and it's also worth mentioning that A3 and the like, have plastic lenses...these lenses use H7 bulbs which are known to run 'cool'. Fitting 100w bulbs can melt your lenses. Be warned!

As an example, I have an aftermarket HID conversioon in the twin headlights of my Mk3 golf GTI - the Hella twin headlights I use have glass lenses so I'm able to fit high output bulbs.

I have HIDs in the projector (the best solution all round, HID + projector - like the later S3s) in the outer lamp units..and 135w PIAA high power bulbs with relayed, high current supplies in the inner lamps.
The sidelights are also ion the inner (135w) lamop units.
Now, as the Hella lamps have glass lenses, the 135w bulbs don't melt the lenses...but they do melt the LED sidelights I use!
I have to replace them every few months in winter when using the main beam a lot as the heat from the high power bulbs melts them! (they sit about 30mm from the high power bulb in the same lens)

The high power bulbs use are PIAA ultra white HID look - or something similar - and they are in no way a cosmetic match for HIDs...I've tried the Blue vision, hyper white and each and every other 'HID look' bulb and I can assure you they fool nobody...they aren't even close!

Glen, maybe I wasn't clear. I wasn't saying they are going to fool people. What I do notice going to different cars is the colour of the headlights and not just the intensity. HIDs rock, there's no doubt on that. IMHO it's the projector HIDs which look particularly bright at times whereas the normal style lens don't look so bright.

MY A4 has Philips vision plus in it. They had a wee touch of blue at the top (not sold as a blue bulb). It just added that extra hint of whiteness to it. Our Corsa has Osram Silver Stars and the range is great, but they don't look so good. (Can't compare range across different cars though).

Some of the reports (on here) are pretty good for Blue Vision. Not everyone buys these bulbs to make it look like HID, they just want a nicer light. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Well, I'll keep telling myself that anyway. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

BTW, didn't realise you had high power high beams! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]
khufu said:
is it wise to put 100w bulbs through the headlight switch and various wiring?

[/ QUOTE ]

Spot on!
Not wise at all...

At best it'll damage the switch over time...at worse it'll take the loom with it when it burns out!

[ QUOTE ]
khufu said:
Mark, A4??? should that be HAD or are you not telling something /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously I'm missing that car more than I thought /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif