Virgin Media Speed...

jb0o

Reaction score
Website
jonathan-butler.co.uk
I have recently gotten Virgin Media... 10Mb speed.

Downloads are blistering.. was downloading at 1.5MB/s the other day yet when I go to play online my games are unplayable because of my ping.

Running a ping check through Command Prompt to Google I'm getting 90ms, which is ridiculous and a ping speed test at http://pingtest.net/ brings it back at 75ms, which to them is a rating grade 'C'.

Does anyone else have this problem with Virgin? I'll be calling them no doubt as I need to be able to play this game, but just wondering if it was an ISP problem affecting everyone..

I get 33ms at pingtest which is rated a B and Im on 20mb connection.

Try upgrading to this connection Im sure its only a tenner more a month, also kill any torrent/p2p/filesharing programs as well as windows update which could be running in the background...this might help a little.

The only problem that I'm facing is that I used to have Sky broadband, and although the speed were pretty crap, I was only paying £5 a month ontop of my Sky TV and my ping was fine...

Yeh Ive had problems dealing with virgin. Its quite amusing seeing the ping passing through the hops nicely until it hits the virgin network and crawls to a halt.

Dont worry we are trialing 40mb fibre optic broadband which will eventually be rolled out everywhere. Much better than the upto 20mb which is simply a marketing ploy by BT. Some people see faster speeds but until we lose the reliance on copper lines it wont improve.

I've noticed my VM broadband drops a lot in speed during peak periods(between 8-10pm), the 10meg speed is peak speed(upto 10meg), you never actually get 10 meg.

I've noticed my VM broadband drops a lot in speed during peak periods(between 8-10pm), the 10meg speed is peak speed(upto 10meg), you never actually get 10 meg.

Yeah same here, sometimes very slow in the late afternoon, the speed floats aound between 14-17meg which Im happy with...

I get 21 ms and an 'A'
I use o2 broadband with a 16 meg package,as I'm on o2 mobile it costs a tenner a month.