SCAM Alert

scbduke

Reaction score
Website
n
Just received the following from a mate at work, couldn't see it anywhere else on the site so thought I would post:

PLEASE PASS ON TO YOUR FRIENDS & FAMILY.
The new telephone 'scam' has arrived in Medway.

I received a call from a 'representative' of BT, informing me that he was dis-connecting me because of an unpaid bill. He demanded payment immediately of £31.00 , or it would be £118.00 to re-connect at a later date.

The guy wasn't even fazed when I told him I was with Virgin Media, allegedly VM have to pay BT a percentage for line rental!

I asked the guy's name - the very 'English' John Peacock with a very 'African' accent - & phone number - 0800 0800 152.

Obviously the fella realized I wasn't believing his story, so offered to demonstrate that he was from BT. I asked how & he told me to hang up & try phoning someone - he would dis-connect my phone to prevent this.

AND HE DID!! My phone was dead - no engaged tone, nothing - until he phoned me again.

Very pleased with himself, he asked if that was enough proof that he was with BT. I asked how the payment was to be made & he said credit card, there & then.

I said that I didn't know how he'd done it, but I had absolutely no intention of paying him , I didn't believe his name or that he worked for BT.

He hung up.

Dialled 1471 & phoned his fictitious 0800 number - not recognised.

I phoned the police to let them know, I wasn't the first! It's only just started apparently but it is escalating.

Their advice was to let as many people know by word of mouth of this scam. The fact that the phone does go off would probably convince some people it's real, so please let as many friends & family aware of this.

=========================================================

Only thing we can think of is that rather than hanging up he puts the caller on mute so the line doesn't drop and it looks like it's disconnected - maybe somebody with a bit more network/telephone knowledge can verify if that's possible?

BT are aware of this issue and it has been reported to the Police and BT Security.

The caller simply stays on the line while you hang up. This makes it seem like your line is dead.

If your not a BT customer then you wont here from BT at all unless your trying to be sold something.

0800 800 152 is a BT sales number, 0800 0800 152 isnt. They are obviously wanting to try and copy it.

Oh and obviously they never ask for credit card details.