How much sugar!!!!!!??????

Ads

ASN Veteran
Reaction score
Website
www.aythreee.com
A little bit bored at work so just been reading the back of my Orange Lucozade bottle :detective2:

On the label it's got the usual '% of daily allowance' figures for sugar, fat, etc.
The sugar figure is 38% of your daily allowance.
Saw this when buying it and thought "oh well, still got 62% to play with for the rest of the day".
Couldn't have been more wrong!!!

On closer inspection it is revealed (in smaller print) that this figure is for 250ml of Lucozade, not the 500ml that is actually in the bottle!! Misleading or what!!!

SOOOO.... I've just drank 76% of my daily sugar intake, or 69 grams!!

Add that to the two teaspoons of sugar I had in my coffee this morning, it means I have, by 1:30pm, consumed EIGHTEEN teaspoons of sugar!!!!! :scared2:

Oh well, at least I've now got an explanation for why i've been speaking really really really really really really really really really really really really really fast for the past hour :jump:

I reckon they are just trying it on. Why don't they just state how much is in the thing you are eating/drinking???

What they have done pretty much boils down to force feeding me sugar that I didn't want!!!! ;)

I reckon they are just trying it on. Why don't they just state how much is in the thing you are eating/drinking???

What they have done pretty much boils down to force feeding me sugar that I didn't want!!!! ;)

Yep they are deffo trying it on,I saw a pack with the percentages on the front of you R.D.A and in small print it was based on a quarter of what was in the bag...think it was nuts.

Yep this is the oldest trick in the new book of RDA labels! You'll find it lots of other thing that are bad for you too. Like on a pack of noodles (the ones like supernoodles but half the price) it'll be for half a pack because the amount of salt in it is about 70% of your RDA! Who eats half a packet of noodles?!

It shouldn't be allowed!!

Shame the same "half of what it really is" figure doesn't apply to manufacturer's engine power claims. My car would be over 300bhp.

Or even better, bank accounts. I'd have a balance of £2 then!!

but if you had purchased a 2 ltr bottle what would you have wanted it to say ??? they have to base it on something so the std seems to be 250ml per serving

Ok fair enough on a 2ltr bottle of coke, but on an item that is obviously for a single serving i.e. Bottle of lucozade, packet of nuts, packet of noodles, etc... then it should give you the info based on that serving.

Coke do it for the full 330ml on their cans.

I have to say I agree with Fingermouse. It is done so you can compare like for like, imagine trying to compare a 75g bag of nuts with a 49g packet of crisps otherwise, without a calculator it would be virtually impossible. At least then you can see that per 100g you are eating 'x' amount of ingredient.

Lucozade is an energy drink so a high sugar content is expected surely?

I do see what you are both saying, but I would guess most aren't interested in comparing foods e.g. nuts and crisps.
What you really want to know, in the easiest, clearest, and least complicated way, is exactly how much is in the thing you are thinking about eating, so you can decide whether to eat it or not. Isn't that the whole point in having RDA's on the packet?!

As for Lucozade, I knew it was high in sugar being an energy drink.... but just not THAT high!!
In fact, I would says it's pretty much thought of like a normal soft drink, or at least sold like that in shops. I bought mine as part of a sandwich and crisps meal deal in Boots.

Everyone uses 500ml bottles for drinks but they use 250ml as the serving. It's a con for sure.

As for Lucozade, I knew it was high in sugar being an energy drink.... but just not THAT high!! In fact, I would says it's pretty much thought of like a normal soft drink, or at least sold like that in shops. I bought mine as part of a sandwich and crisps meal deal in Boots.

If your surprised about the sugar in the lucozade look at the fat and salt content in your sandwich most of them are quite high, I always used to have a sausage, egg and bacon triple sandwich with full fat coke until one day I read the back, worked about to nearly half of my daily callorie allowance... :)

yes,my great auntie is 98 and she was telling me how she enjoyed beef dripping on toast....and here is us worrying about a few grams and probably the worry will lead us to an early grave

Yeah I only worry about fat content when my belly gets bigger. Sugar gives me the shakes. But salt I eat loads of. They eat a lot more than us in Germany and Poland and they're all ok!

Always prefer to have little sugar it is good for health.More sugar is injurious to health.You will suffer with lots of disease.