Who has their own website?

Caesium

My BM is fixed!
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
How did you design it, I have just bought my own domain name and am looking for ideas.

I want to put some of my photography on there mostly.

Depends on your experience. The simplest is probably something like Microsoft Frontpage.
You pretty much create webpages in a similar way as you'd create a word document i.e. insert photos, type text, format, etc.
You then upload to your webspace.

You do have webspace or hosting don't you??
If not you can find some free space on the net.

Do you want to do it for free or pay? For free if you can speak HTML (so to speak :sm4:) then Dreamweaver is your best bet. Frontpage is very restrictive and is designed for absolute novices, (though if you are, crack on)!

I have several domains and mostly use them for file storage, i really need to make more use of them , so i am watching this with interest.

Dreamweaver is what i used back in the day and it was very good. I by no means can code in noteplad or anything tho. The hardest bit for me was making the small graphics i wanted for corners and click buttons etc

I got my domain from 123reg for a fiver for 2yrs, and hosted with one.com for free for one year, 9 quid set up fee.

I have dreamweaver so i'm gonna have a stab with that and see how I get on....

Heart-Internet provide a free hosting account for new members keeping you domain name(s) with them. Not by any means to be used to heavy traffic sites but I can run my own personal emails off it and have enough space.

Don't link pictures from it, say for forums like this, as the volume of traffic involved in loading the pages so often will use up your bandwidth restriction pretty quick.

I'm tempted to buy hosting but I mainly use the domain names for emails, and don't really use the storage for web space so I don't know about that.

Would like any ideas for furthering websites though. I wouldn't mind buying a cheap unit to run a server on at some point. would be nice to have a new toy...

If you need help then contact professional designers.

Ahh the endless possibilities of web design :)

In my honest opinion I would use something like joomla it's been around for YEARS! It's easy to set up and has a MASSIVE support community. Not to mention a million and one templates so you can change the look of it as often as you like.

Joomla is a content management system, so you dont need to learn HTML (unless you want to). All you need to do is install\configure it then logon to the admin panel and start creating pages!

Theres a massive selection of extensions(plug ins) which give you site new features, most at the click of a button.

As for webhosting, I use freevirtualservers.com they offer free packages also. I pay for mine and use it loads! Their support seems to be 24/7 365. They even picked up a request on xmas eve!!

I am fluent in most web technologies (being a geek!) so im willing to help people set up sites if they need. I will gladly install\configure a joomla site for you and help you get up and running with a gallery extension if you wish.

My site is in my signature. It's built on Joomla. It does the job for me, though it does need an overall. As I am currently hacking the template to pieces.

Cheers

which hyperlinks?

I can't open the gallery in the same window or you cant get back to the homepage so I made it open in a different window/tab

'Gallery 2' is missing.

Also, 'Welcome' and 'About' are missing.
Although looking at it now, are they supposed to be links??? The little >> makes it look like they could be. But maybe not.

Why can't you get back to the homepage if you have the gallery opening in the same window???
Just put a link back to your homepage in the gallery.

You've also got a link in "Home" which takes you back to the page you are already on. Put that one in your galleries.

Or you could create a frame and have all of your nagivation links in a left hand pane, and the page content in the right (or you could do it top and bottom).
You could then navigate to any page within your site from any page within your site.

I wouldn't recommend having new windows opening for pages within your own site. Reserve that for links to external websites, if you plan to have any.

Last edited:
Another 123.reg user.

My site was initially knocked together using Front Page, but then a mate of mine did something to it to make it better. I need to meet up with her and edit it. There's a load of old stock on there, and current stock with the wrong prices. Nightmare. Ta for reminding me though.

If you're bored, it's www.youwantthiscar.com

I dont know how I could open the gallery embedded into the main page, I can't edit the hyperlinks on the gallery application whatsoever.

Oh ok, because I couldn't even get to the gallery I didn't realise you were using a gallery app.

If you use a framed display for your website then you can have the gallery open in the main pane, and you would still be able to navigate using the other pane. Not sure how it would affect your photo's sizing though.

Or you could scrap the gallery app and create your own gallery directly in your website, creating 'next' and 'previous' links on each photo page so you can navigate through all your pics.

Either way I would create a framed website so you benefit from easy navigation. There are a few downsides i.e. slower page loading, search engines find it difficult to search.... but for what you are using your site for these shouldn't be a huge problem, if at all.

All that is greek to me, I know nothing of webdesign!

Fair enough :thumbsup:

I know it can sound it, but it's not that complicated though.
Maybe do a quick google of create frame website using dreamweaver, i'm sure you'll find an easy to follow tutorial.
It's pretty much what I did when I started out.

I have now employed a different gallery.... take a look people!

Constructive comments welcome

username> guest
password> password

Last edited:
That gallery works well, nice and fast with the thumbnails. Maybe see if you can customise it to match your site colours/style a bit?

i'm trying that but its not too easy, its now into html only so its slowly but surely....

Ahh yeah copermine :) It's a bit of a pig to get your head around, all the template files can be a bit of a pain.

Good luck :icon_thumright: