Help with Family History

voorhees

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm compiling a family history/tree and only just found that one great uncle was a POW in France and marched to a German camp until release and another was a Sergeant in the RAF and an air gunner who was less fortunate (is in France)
Anyone have any advice on researching ?

am subscribed to ancestry

id be interested in this id like to trace my family ....how do you find out vorhees have you found out what you know just by using ancestry do you have to pay to subscribe ...

local archives might help,yes you have to pay to subscribe to ancestry.
If I was not working I would be going through the micro films at the local archives centre.

usually in the library or if not....the town hall.

I've got all sorts of random history and family in France that I have never met. My mums mother was French and came to England to teach French in very posh schools. I've never met any of the French lot and neither has my mum so its something we're looking into researching too. Its interesting that there's loads of our lot knocking around all over the place that I've never even heard of!.

T

Jase, do you know what regiment he was in, or his service number?
Try CWGC.org. Lists the graves of soldiers worldwide, searchable and free.
If you know the regiment, they have reunion societys, contact them, someone might have known him.
I have a book all about this somewhere, I will try and find it, you can have it.

www.genealogy.com Go to the Surname forums and have a look around for his name.

Last edited:
Jase, I have found the book but its more for the USA, you can have it if you want it though.

Jase, I have found the book but its more for the USA, you can have it if you want it though.

Thanks for sorting it out Paul but its going to end up as a cupboard filler if its States names only.

I have found out my great uncle died on the same day as a mission to bomb the Philips radio and valve factory in Eindehoven which also had a secondary mission to bomb the Abbeville airfield (he lies in that cemetary) but it was not his squadron who carried out the mission so I hope he wasn't subject to friendly fire.

Had a look at the certificate?

I searched for my wifes great uncle, her mum broke down when I gave her a copy of the certificate.
What that website does is amazing.

Let me know if you need anymore help, I will see what I can find.

my sources are limited Paul thats why the thread,Ancestry is not bringing his death or birth up but guess I will have to tweek the search words/names

Johnboy, my grandfather ran moonshine with his brother, his step brother served in Alcatraz for robbing banks. My great great grandfather was William Joseph Hatfield (billy Joe).
Google Hatfield and McCoy feud, there is a photo of the Hatfields outside a log cabin, Billy Joe is the one in the doorway.

I am surprised I turned out as sane as I did.

Johnboy, my grandfather ran moonshine with his brother, his step brother served in Alcatraz for robbing banks. My great great grandfather was William Joseph Hatfield (billy Joe).
Google Hatfield and McCoy feud, there is a photo of the Hatfields outside a log cabin, Billy Joe is the one in the doorway.

I am surprised I turned out as sane as I did.

thats impressive Paul
I remember my grandad as being deaf as a post so he wasn't allowed to sign up but he did go down Portsmouth and help build the mulberry docks for D-Day as he was a chippy.also he and my gran were air raid wardens which isn't no great shake until you bear in mind it was Coventry.